Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

Registered
First bike was a 1965 Honda CB450. Bought from high school friend. He gave me riding lesson for about two miles, then I dolled it home. Was the longest 15 miles I ever rode!

Registered
I know we are all here for the love of our Indian Motorcycles we ride. There was at one point when we got our first motorcycle. I like many others cut their teeth on the mini-bike before graduating to our first motorcycle that really got that fire lit to ride, and eventually end up with our beloved Indian.

Thought it would be interesting to find out what others first motorcycle was.

I rode a mini bike when I was first interested in two wheelers, rode it until I thought the wheels would come off, even after I out grew the mini-bike I continued to ride it. Then one Spring day when I got home after school, my step father took me out to the garage with a big smile on his face, when he opened the door, there sat a gently used 1969 Kawasaki CRT 120 Roadrunner, he handed me the keys and said it's yours and to be careful on it. I thought I had died and went to Heaven lol
All of a sudden I was the coolest kid in my tiny Montana town (at least in my own mind hehe)

I do remember a friend of my step father would come over riding a BSA 441 Victor, the guy always told me, if I could start it, I could ride it, but being so young there was NO way I could get the kick starter to move even the tiniest bit! Few weeks after I got my Kawasaki 120, he did finally start that fire breathing BSA by the steps so I could mount it and ride it around the block a few times, then when I came back I had to stop by the steps again so I could dismount the BSA...any way love walking down memory lane.

What was your first real motorcycle? The picture of the bike is not mine, but exactly like my first one - 1969 Kawasaki CRT 120.

View attachment 581039
unnamed.jpg

I had one just like the above, even the fork brace. It wasn't worth a darn off road but I made it strictly off road anyway. I went from this to Ossa which was a great dirtbike.

Registered
'77 YZ250. Beat to hell. Painted about 7 different colors. Bought it for $1 from some friends. Called it "Krusty." Kick starter broke off so we had to push it down the gravel driveway and pop the clutch to get it running. Couldn't kill that bike.
First road legal bike was a TW200. Gutless little thing, but it was fun to beat on for a while.

Registered
Like other on this thread, I didn't start riding until about 12 years ago. My first bike was a 2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100. I know have a 19 Roadmaster.

Rider
Discussion Starter #74
Amazing the percentage of riders starting with D/P motorcycles. Always a great option to still have in the garage.
Riding the D/P/Enduro type motorcycle gave those riders skills that are all transferable to riding a street bike on pavement.

Sliding/drifting comes to mind, twice I had to use that skill to keep from getting killed, one time my wife was a passenger, absolutely terrifying experiences...both took place on my 1985 FXRPolice bike. I do practice a swerve and avoid exercise, but it's practiced as slow speeds, and bike is never drifted or slid, chances are on the street if I am ever violated by a car I may or may not have to slide or drift the Indian to avoid a bad situation involving flesh, pavement, and metal.

I am glad I started riding in the dirt on D/P/Enduro type motorcycles, those skills are great to have in the kit when it comes to surviving the mean streets on the Chieftain.

Don't try this on a vacant parking lot as part of your slow speed practices like these two Supercharged Victory riders, you may be talking to a Police officer soon after if you get my drift lol
:oops:

Bronze member
Riding the D/P/Enduro type motorcycle gave those riders skills that are all transferable to riding a street bike on pavement.

Sliding/drifting comes to mind, twice I had to use that skill to keep from getting killed, one time my wife was a passenger, absolutely terrifying experiences...both took place on my 1985 FXRPolice bike. I do practice a swerve and avoid exercise, but it's practiced as slow speeds, and bike is never drifted or slid, chances are on the street if I am ever violated by a car I may or may not have to slide or drift the Indian to avoid a bad situation involving flesh, pavement, and metal.

I am glad I started riding in the dirt on D/P/Enduro type motorcycles, those skills are great to have in the kit when it comes to surviving the mean streets on the Chieftain.

Don't try this on a vacant parking lot as part of your slow speed practices like these two Supercharged Victory riders, you may be talking to a Police officer soon after if you get my drift lol
:oops:

I remember when this video first surfaced, some real good talent.

Registered
I bought my first bike new in 1966; Honda CB160 scrambler. Had the bug ever since; have owned about 25 bikes over the past 54 years.

Jon

Registered
The ultra-abridged backstory...
Came to motorcycles from the car world - I liked to modify and go fast. Thought I would like motorcycles in the same way I liked cars.

My first bike...
So, against the advice of the community and my own better judgment I bought a 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 as my first bike... ever.

Obviously not my photo, but the identical year and color. For those unaware, the Daytona 675 is a middleweight sport bike known for it's 3-cylinder (triple) engine which makes it both lighter and slimmer which makes it, arguably, one of the most "flickable" and best handling bikes in it's class - very quick turn-in and NOT starter bike, lol. The triple engine has a flat power curve, making it an absolute blast on the street without needing to rev it out like a Yamaha R6.

Lucky for me, the Daytona community is full of purists. The folks that are all about wheelies and flat-brimmed hats don't buy these. So, despite a steep learning curve, I placed an emphasis on proper riding techniques and learning what makes a bike corner and why. Combined with a healthy dose of respect, I survived riding it and learned how to properly ride a bike. It was fast, it handled phenomenally - it was just a ton of fun.

BUT...
I also learned what type of rider I was. I thoroughly enjoyed my commutes to and from work, but I LOVED little weekend trips with family and friends or date nights with the wife. After a couple years on the Daytona, I made the switch to cruisers. I needed something light and nimble. The Daytona is only a little over 400lbs... wet weight... so, I didn't want to jump to an 800lb behemoth and I was smashing the pegs on everything I was test riding. Then I found the Scout. Light enough to make the switch from a sport bike virtually seamless and nimble enough to carry over my sport bike riding techniques - plus, much more capable on the highway than the Iron 883 engine or the peanut tank of the Forty-Eight.

Registered
My first bike was a scooter. Brand new 1960 Cushman Eagle. Big motor-8hp and primary chain drive. The hot rod of Cushman scooters. I was 14 yrs old and my step dad got it for me for being a good worker and a kid who went from punk ass trouble maker to a solid citizen. I owe the man my love for 2 wheelers and my life.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts