Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride a 2019 Indian scout abs. I’ve put 5,000 miles in 6 months and it’s been a hard 5,000 full of twisties, cold weather, 300 mile days and daily driving the scout stock. It has been great but left me with a few things I want that scout doesn’t give me.
Here are a couple scenarios I am considering and would love your feedback.

1. Keep scout for around town and buy chief vintage. Have the vintage shipped out to first performance shop to begin upgrades such as suspension, motor work, swing arm, etc.I see this build taking 2-3 years to complete.

2. Sell Indian scout and buy a bmw k1600 b which does everything I need pretty well out of the box and the bike will start every time. But really isn’t what I want to ride long term due to looks and lack of speed/ aftermarket support but will be a quick fix today.

Seeing my business partner ship his road glide to trask for a turbo install showed me what a process this actually is to have any type of work done. And I am not sure what road to follow. A couple days ago my business partner’s turbo blew and now needs to be sent back to have turbo rebuilt.

Is best solution to have two bikes? One that starts every time and then one that is constantly getting work done or is broken?
Also I am trying to be efficient and not to wasteful as it would be nice to have two bikes but don’t want one or the other to sit in the garage for extended periods of time.

about my style; I like to daily drive motorcycles, go on twisties, ride around town and do 300+ trips and do the above comfortably

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
Welcome from T'other Side of the Pond. Two is definitely the way 'two' go! You always then have a backup option or if they're poles apart choose which one to take dependent on mood, weather and roads you intend to ride. One is a fishing trawler the other a twisty and mile muncher, both are extremely comfortable if they're being used for intended use and neither need spanner time.

Reactions: Motomad

·
Registered
127 Posts
I currently ride a 2019 Indian scout abs. I’ve put 5,000 miles in 6 months and it’s been a hard 5,000 full of twisties, cold weather, 300 mile days and daily driving the scout stock. It has been great but left me with a few things I want that scout doesn’t give me.

1. Keep scout for around town and buy chief vintage. Have the vintage shipped out to first performance shop to begin upgrades such as suspension, motor work, swing arm, etc.I see this build taking 2-3 years to complete.

2. Sell Indian scout and buy a bmw k1600 b which does everything I need pretty well out of the box and the bike will start every time. But really isn’t what I want to ride long term due to looks and lack of speed/ aftermarket support but will be a quick fix today.

Seeing my business partner ship his road glide to trask for a turbo install showed me what a process this actually is to have any type of work done. And I am not sure what road to follow. A couple days ago my business partner’s turbo blew and now needs to be sent back to have turbo rebuilt.

Is best solution to have two bikes? One that starts every time and then one that is constantly getting work done or is broken?
Also I am trying to be efficient and not to wasteful as it would be nice to have two bikes but don’t want one or the other to sit in the garage for extended periods of time.

about my style; I like to daily drive motorcycles, go on twisties, ride around town and do 300+ trips and do the above comfortably
Have you looked into the Challenger? It is more of a performance oriented bagger than the Cheif. They just used the Challenger in the MotoAmerica battle of the baggers race.

Personally, I’m partial to Indians and liquid cooled bikes specifically(Scout, FTR, Challenger).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Go for two. See my byline below. Have a Chieftain and a Scout. One for touring, long rides, One for short around town, weekend runs in the twisties. Ride safe.

Reactions: msklein and BHlvr

·
Rider
511 Posts
Lol, I'm thinking of going back to a scout from my chief dark horse. The chief is more comfortable but not nearly as much fun. No matter what you do to a chief that extra mass will never make it feel as good in a corner. The scout will never feel as good on the highway. But I'm not on that many highways.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,802 Posts
Primarily you'd want a more long distance comfort bike by moving up to the big Indian models. It just depends upon how much do you need or want all of the "bells & whistles" gadgetry. The fairing models for the most part have them with the base models lacking navigation etc. The windshield and "naked models don't have them. The Vintage and Springfield are the windshield equipped classic style Indians with saddlebags ( leather and hard bags repectively) while the Dark Horse versions of these generally are the "naked" bikes in the Thunderstroke range. The Thunderstroke fairing bikes (Chieftain & Roadmaster) have a Dark Horse version in matte paint finish that have the same gadgets as the glossy ones. Likewise the Challenger model line is pretty much the same way. It's just a matter of what your personal preference is.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

I might not understand but it seems strange to me that you’re considering either a BMW k1600b or a Chief Vintage as a second bike. They are two completely different types of rides. If you think you’re going to make a performance bagger out of a Vintage it seems like you’re starting with the wrong platform for a performance bike. Like someone else mentioned, you’d be better off with a Challenger if you want sport touring. You could put all that money into the Vintage and not really get what you’re looking for in the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
4,804 Posts
I might not understand but it seems strange to me that you’re considering either a BMW k1600b or a Chief Vintage as a second bike. If you think you’re going to make a performance bagger out of a Vintage it seems like you’re starting with the wrong platform for a performance bike. Like someone else mentioned, you’d be better off with a Challenger if you want sport touring. You could put all that money into the Vintage and not really get what you’re looking for in the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well I can understand it LOL. Couple of years ago before buying my pre loved '15 Vintage, I was looking for a Rocket Touring model, one that I could get tuned to Roadster specs. Whilst Rocket hunting I spotted my now willow green & cream Vintage on Craigslist and that was that. It was so damn pretty I just had to have it :love: I rented a UHaul and did a minor road trip south to PA and returned home with one of the purdyest moto's made :giggle:

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,802 Posts
The K1600 has had a recall on it's transmission up to and including the 2020 model year. Be sure if it's a used one that the transmission recall has been done on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glad to know I'm not the only one wanting to upgrade from my Scout (3 months), but don't want to get rid of it because it's fun around town. I'm looking at a Springfield DH as my next ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have 3 bikes. Scout, Vintage, 'busa. Then your complete.

Welcome to the site.
I was looking at adding a busa just to get the adrenaline rush, scout for around town and vintage for long distance. Simple, no modifications necessary, all 3 bikes mentioned excel in their category.

Getting the three, I like your advice, will consider this option.

I really enjoy all the posts of this forum, lots of great advice and threads. I don’t post much because I spend hours searching the forum for my answer and usually someone has already posted a thread or post related to the question I’m trying to answer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Willies got it. (y)
I might add an antique bike and a scrambler to that shopping list. :cool:
Yeah; good choices, I love seeing antique bikes go down the road. Just had a friend show me an antique bike he just finished restoring. Kickstart and everything.
So many different styles of bikes, I’m starting to realize there is no one bike that does everything 100%.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome from T'other Side of the Pond. Two is definitely the way 'two' go! You always then have a backup option or if they're poles apart choose which one to take dependent on mood, weather and roads you intend to ride. One is a fishing trawler the other a twisty and mile muncher, both are extremely comfortable if they're being used for intended use and neither need spanner time.

View attachment 610535
Thanks for the advice, both your bikes are beautiful. Really considering what to do for weather as I rode the scout today over Sierra mountains from Monterey back to my home in Reno and heated grips/seat would’ve been nice. Not sure I’ll do that type of trip again on a scout. Rookie lessons.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you looked into the Challenger? It is more of a performance oriented bagger than the Cheif. They just used the Challenger in the MotoAmerica battle of the baggers race.

Personally, I’m partial to Indians and liquid cooled bikes specifically(Scout, FTR, Challenger).
I went to Indian dealership other day with a guy I work with who has a turbo’d road glide and he said challenger felt top heavy, like geometry off. I will test drive one for myself soon, when I was at dealership someone got rear ended in front and it was rush hour so I didn’t feel like it was a good time to be on road. There were some good things about it like the engine had good high end torque, adjustable wind shield, liquid cooled, list goes on. I like the challenger and could see one in my life one day. But right now it’s a new model, I always like to buy year 3 or 4+ of a car or motorcycle as it gives the company a couple years to work out the kinks and allows other companies to come out with aftermarket support. Indian definitely my favorite motorcycle company right now.
I just got back from battle of bagger race and saw the two challengers up close. They were awesome, probably had $120k invested in parts and I can’t even imagine the amount of man hours spent making these bikes ready to race for several minutes.

·
Rider
973 Posts
I have a Chieftain with Stage 2 upgrades, used primarily for touring, I'm keeping it, but actively looking for the right deal on a Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber Sport for riding in town, riding to work (I live in a very small Montana city), and short day rides.

MGV9BS.jpg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts