Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of us ride into ***** country, a long way from civilization, a good tool kit capable of facilitating field repairs is a must have. I haven’t seen one for sale on their site. Harley sells one with Snap-On tools for their rigs. Tire plugs and tube patches for those with spoke wheels is a given. As I am 10,000 miles from my bike, I can’t measure all the typical nuts and bolts. I have always carried a tool kit and never needed it. Murphy's law will kick in if I don't carry one. I presume the following is required at minimum:

· Tire plug/patch Kit + inflator
· Standard and metric Allen index
· Gerber/Leatherman
· Multi-tip screw driver
· Pliers
· 3/8[SUP]th[/SUP] Drive ratchet
· Probably about 6 sockets (size TBD)
· About 6 open end box wrenches (size TBD)
· Small file
I would add K-Bar knife. I always feel better with a K-Bar handy

·
Registered
610 Posts
As many of us ride into ***** country, a long way from civilization, a good tool kit capable of facilitating field repairs is a must have. I haven’t seen one for sale on their site. Harley sells one with Snap-On tools for their rigs. Tire plugs and tube patches for those with spoke wheels is a given. As I am 10,000 miles from my bike, I can’t measure all the typical nuts and bolts. I have always carried a tool kit and never needed it. Murphy's law will kick in if I don't carry one. I presume the following is required at minimum:

· Gerber/Leatherman
· Multi-tip screw driver
· Pliers
· Small file
The tire plug/patch kit + inflator isn't going to do you any good with the Chief or Vintage models. They both have tubes in the tires on the spoked rims.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
My basic all-purpose tool is a cell phone, and coupled with the word "help", I seem to be able to get out of most situations. Belonging to the 23,000 member Ulysses Club is a must,,,, almost no matter where you are, there's a mate to help in the rescue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Might want to consider printing and carrying a copy of the Diagnostic Code Display and Descriptions. Also a pen to write it down if are going to be shutting the bike down unless you got a numeric memory. Worked for me on my HD after I had to put a remanufatured motor in after 5700 miles and on one of my first rides I got an error code......It was a loose spark plug wire and it even told me which cylinder to check. Replacing the motor in the HD after only 5700 miles is why I ride an Indian now!

·
Registered
723 Posts

· Gerber/Leatherman
· Multi-tip screw driver
· Pliers
· Small file
It seams to be that most fasteners on the Indian are metric and most are hex head. Forget about the tire patch kit. Invest in a cell phone and road side assistance plan and you're covered.

Reactions: Will

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

· Gerber/Leatherman
· Multi-tip screw driver
· Pliers
· Small file
Since you have spokes and you are planning to attempt to fix your tire.... I would also suggest tire tools and something to attempt to lift your bike off the ground. Unless you are planning to do like Goldwing riders and laying it on its side. I also tend to carry the collapsible reflective warning triangles. People don't see us when we are riding but when we are on the side of the road....they stare at us which usually causes them to aim directly at us. Perhaps the emergency triangles will keep them from running one of us over!!!

Semper Fi,
DrZ

Reactions: Dewon16 and Dewey

·
Registered
105 Posts
I put Ride On in my bike tires..whether tube or tubeless...AmeriSeal is similar stuff available at NAPA stores

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have patched a tube before OTR. I have a cell phone and recovery insurance, but I am not always within range of a cell tower. Out west there can be huge gaps in cell service and gas stations. To steal the Boy Scout motto, Be prepared. I lament the absence of center stands when it comes to spoked wheels. To make matters much worse, if we are broken down on the side of the road, in all likelihood our rescuers will be riding Harleys. I love the idea of carrying a fault code print out.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
As many of us ride into ***** country, a long way from civilization,...
If you're going to be riding within he confines of a Reservation I would suggest taking carton of cigarettes with you, many requests are first facilitated by an introduction and an offering of tobacco.

That's just a bit of free info provided by "Living on the Rez 101". ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're going to be riding within he confines of a Reservation I would suggest taking carton of cigarettes with you, many requests are first facilitated by an introduction and an offering of tobacco.

That's just a bit of free info provided by "Living on the Rez 101". ;)
I would bring fire water. People go to the rez FOR tobaacco. I find Makers Mark a good icebreaker.

·
Registered
552 Posts
There are plenty of instances where you may be on a ride (solo or group) and not broken down......you just need to fix, tighten or adjust something. For that situation, I carry a multi-tip ratcheting screwdriver, a set of Allen wrenches, a small spool of safety wire, a small roll of electrical and duct tape, needle-nose pliers, standard pliers and a small crescent wrench. They all fit nicely in a zip-lock bag stuffed inside my fork bag. If I need anything more than that, I hit up one of my buddies or stop by the local auto parts joint. Big repair jobs I'll leave to the professionals so I carry my cell phone and the information cards for my towing options (IIRA and USAA). Oh, and I always carry my pistol in case I break down somewhere near where they filmed "Deliverance". :)

·
Bronze member
1,501 Posts
There are plenty of instances where you may be on a ride (solo or group) and not broken down......you just need to fix, tighten or adjust something. For that situation, I carry a multi-tip ratcheting screwdriver, a set of Allen wrenches, a small spool of safety wire, a small roll of electrical and duct tape, needle-nose pliers, standard pliers and a small crescent wrench. They all fit nicely in a zip-lock bag stuffed inside my fork bag. If I need anything more than that, I hit up one of my buddies or stop by the local auto parts joint. Big repair jobs I'll leave to the professionals so I carry my cell phone and the information cards for my towing options (IIRA and USAA). Oh, and I always carry my pistol in case I break down somewhere near where they filmed "Deliverance". :)
Hey, you guys all ride Indians, right? The only "tool" you'll need if you need help is the ability to send "smoke signals". Just saying….what did the old ****** do when they needed help/ They certainly didn't rely on Google or hand tools. Send a smoke signal and wait for someone to show up with Pocahontes!!!;):p

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Charge Card, your preference [happy]

·
Registered
398 Posts
Also a way to jumpstart your Ride such as a Stanley Simple Start lithium or other type. It saved my tail last year on my H-D Fatboy when I went to 4 Corners.As we all know there are places where your cell won't even get a bar of signal and you can go for hours not seeing another vehicle.If you have a SAT phone you can call for assistance,however if you have ridden to 4 Corners or some other as remote place you are going to be in for a very long wait before help comes. RED IRON

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
From taking apart and putting back together many Polaris things, here is my list of a stripped down kit.

Socket wrench
Metric Sockets:
Open end wrenches of the same sizes

Hex Head Socket Drivers:
a basic 7-piece set should get you there. Can't remember the 3 that you use mostly, but an extra 4 isn't that bulky

Screw drivers/Leatherman would work

Hammer because hammer

27mm socket (Rear Axel)
Crecent wrench

Plug kit

Torx head socket that fits the handlebar box screws

I think that should get you out of MOST situations on the road.

I will be taking a full set of tools because I have the space and because my bike is not both Metric and SAE.

·
Speak softly and carry a big stick. Teddy R
1,529 Posts
After last year's trip to Sturgis on that Ironhead, I will never again be with out a:

basic 3/8th socket set
Basic wrench sets (SAE & Metric)
Basic Allen and Torc wrenches
Couple of screwdrivers
Flashlight
Ductape
Twine/wire
Electrical tape
Pliers/cutter
small hammer
1 can of fix-a-flat
Fuses
small Volt/ohm meter
Electric wire (2' stranded 12ga)

I carry this in my small AWOL bag, I just toss it on the bike when I go on longer that 200 miles.

All these are not for use on my Indian, it's incase I come across any HD Ironheads on the side of the road, or anything else. But mostly Ironheads;)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts