Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone else has that kind of info available...I just got done with a run from watford city ND to rapid city SD today. Ambient Temp displaying on my screen was up to 105°F at times. I run with a connected dynojet display and my engine temp at times was getting over 310°F and IAT was upwards of 150°. This was the first time I’ve been above 280° for engine temp, had me a bit concerned if there will be any damage at those temps to either the oil or motor... was it a hot one today!

2018 Chieftain Limited Blue Metalic
Live free Ride hard

·
Rider
946 Posts
There are threads that already discuss engine temps and oil temps and oil break down. I am not familiar with IAT but engine temps on stock 111s with factory tune will run as high as 340-50 degrees F and this is considered in the normal range for temps. Also, oil does not start to break down until 400 degrees F

·
Bronze member
3,382 Posts
Wow,don't blame you being nervous,I would look to lower those temps as well.
I have a vintage and now I can put my hand on top of the rear valve cover.

·
Silver member
5,510 Posts
Where or what part of the engine does the PV3 read the engine temps from? I didn't know the unit would/could do that.

·
Rider
946 Posts
Where or what part of the engine does the PV3 read the engine temps from? I didn't know the unit would/could do that.
Back side of one of the cylinder heads don't remember which one. If I had to guess, back cylinder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I just started looking for a connector that matched the dynojet connection plug. Behind the clutch side cover it connects to nothing originally just and moisture/dust cover and I tried the connection and it worked lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,283 Posts
I got an oil temp dipstick on my RM. Did a trip a few years ago with my friend who was running a Springfield. We were down in the southwest, temps were up and bucking a pretty strong headwind. We did a test to see to see the difference between a bike with an oil cooler and one without. The Springfield was pretty constant between 215 and 220 degrees. My RM was 205 to 210. Proved the oil cooler was not needed on the non fairing bikes. To me the real temp to watch is oil temp. That is the real indication of what your engine is doing. Dean

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,283 Posts
Back side of one of the cylinder heads don't remember which one. If I had to guess, back cylinder.
There is a sensor mounted on the front cylinder buried behind the intake manifold and wiring for the ignition and horn. Dean

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ran last summer in AZ, 115-20F indicated temps on display. Didn't have an engine oil temp measurement, but didn't have any issues with the engine or shifting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts