Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to name the one (1) (uno, no mas) SINGLE thing that made up your mind you had to buy a Scout, what would it be?

For me, it was nudity. Minimalism. Not so much as a side cover in the way. Been looking for a good commuter, and everything I looked at had vestigial plastic fairings, mini windscreens, plastic radiator shrouds, plastic chrome this or that... irritating. I have never found a bike naked enough to suit. Then BOOM, here comes the Scout. No wasted motion. From the first eyeball I laid on it, simple, to the point, less is more. Nope; not even a back seat.

A saddle, a motor, a pair of wheels, with just enough steel to connect them.
No wasted motion.

Poetry is the art of expressing the most with the least.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I thought it had a gear indicator. :rolleyes:...and I loved the shape of the tank, along with its low and sinister profile.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Love at first sight. Right bike, right time. I was just going to jump on another Triumph, glad I waited a week. Then I saw the Scout. Perfect timing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Timing...would be the first word that comes to mind. I am coming off of sport bikes for the first time in my life and it just so happens I was in the looking mode in August due to some physical limitations for a more up right riding style. BAM...I saw the Scout, read the articles and rider impressions and knew that this was for me...Timing.

Plus, it just looks incredible, less is definitely more!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Less is more. A man could walk bare footed. Give him a pair of shoes, he can walk farther. More is more <--- Moral Poetry

I like the bike for it's simplicity. I also like the bike for it's potential. More is More.
Within hours, on Aug 3rd, I already began to see how much more.

But if less is more, and less is better, then one might consider a single cylinder.
Honda's got a real nice CRF250L Dual Sport, if dual sport or dual purpose and great gas mileage is your thing.

One could opt for a Triumph Bonneville or Scrambler with a solo saddle. No riders and a rack. Or a Triumph Thruxton, if Cafe is your bag.

Motorcycles are like a pair of shoes.
Decide what you want to do.
Then choose what's right for you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sometimes when you see a piece of machinery, you instinctively know, just know, that you are looking at a future classic, and you have to be a part of that piece of history. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. I bet there were guys on the crew building the Brooklyn Bridge that understood that their hands were producing a thing destined for greatness. The guys who designed the DC-3 probably had that same instinct. The Scout struck me that way, and I could not walk away without trying to be a part of the story.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Have been dreaming of owning an Indian Motorcycle since Indian started trying to make a come back in 2002-2003. It's low, lean, maneuverable and center of gravity friendly. Affordable and apparently (we'll see) low maintenance. Gives me the same feeling when I was a kid with my Yamaha DT125, "Let's go for a ride!" :cool:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I learned how to ride on a 1946 Chief: foot clutch and all. Now I am 65 and I figure I've now come full circle. I will ride out as many retirement years as I can on my Indian Scout. It seems like the perfect bike for the task.

·
Registered
441 Posts
DIDN’T, it didn’t copy any other bike on the road, didn’t look Metric and didn’t drain my bank. Classic looking bike that screams cruise me!

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's low slung with a great power to weight ratio, that still has cruiser style. It's gonna be fun to wring it out, especially once the performance aftermarket has a chance to catch up.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
A Wall of Death rider at CalExpo in 1968. I've wanted an Indian Scout ever since. This isn't the same Scout, but it'll do for my purposes.

Reactions: qbrees
1 - 20 of 60 Posts