Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I finally got my (OEM) trunk installed on my blue Challenger Limited! No pics yet because it's raining and my garage is dim. However, I'm now thinking I want the trunk speakers too.

I'm not sure what to get. There's part #2880958 "Quick Release Trunk Speaker Kit" and then there's 2889057 "PowerBand Amplified Trunk Speaker Kit". I have the stock Limited (no saddlebag speakers), so I don't know if I have the PowerBand audio or not. The stock fairing audio that I have is fine, so I want to stick with the product that matches that.

Any assistance would be great!! Also, for those that have done this on their Challenger, did you have to open the fairing up and install an amp in there?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,289 Posts
The only part that shows compatible is the 9057 "PowerBand Amplified Trunk Speaker Kit." That's what I installed and was wow'd by the sound. The smaller speakers put out a fair amount more bass than the stock fairing speakers. It looks like they use the trunk as an expansion chamber. I was in the same boat as you, the wiring is all there, why not just get the speakers... so I did! I've only ridden with them once and not with a passenger yet but they did add sound. Like you, I have the stock limited front. The only issue I've seen is in ride command, it throws a little error on the audio screen about mis-matched speaker levels.

I've had my fairing off almost a dozen times now so that part wasn't hard. It took longer to take off the fairing and put it back on than it did to install the amp. You replace the factory 2 channel amp with a 4 channel.

Reactions: jtleafs33

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, TR! I was hoping you'd chime in. How'd your bike turn out, since you got all your trunk parts?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Maybe I’m wrong but I think that trunk only takes the powerband 5.25” and the stock Roadmaster 5.25”. You for sure have to put the 4 channel in the fairing and run your wires back. If you put powerband in the back and stock in the front you’ll trip an error code that your speakers are mismatched and the ride command will tone down your powerband speakers. I think it’s just a trick to sell twice as many speakers. It’s only worth putting the powerband in the fairing, but Indian doesn’t allow that.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,289 Posts
Thanks, TR! I was hoping you'd chime in. How'd your bike turn out, since you got all your trunk parts?
I'm still waiting on one part! I got the thin back pad last weekend and it looks good on it. It matches the seat pretty well. I only have a picture with my garage mess in the background. The rack is the only thing that's left and I've been told the middle of March. I like the way it looks. I had a flag on my luggage rack that fit perfectly on the trunk rail. I think the bike looks great with the trunk and I think my wife will like the extra support and tunes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Maybe I’m wrong but I think that trunk only takes the powerband 5.25” and the stock Roadmaster 5.25”. You for sure have to put the 4 channel in the fairing and run your wires back. If you put powerband in the back and stock in the front you’ll trip an error code that your speakers are mismatched and the ride command will tone down your powerband speakers. I think it’s just a trick to sell twice as many speakers. It’s only worth putting the powerband in the fairing, but Indian doesn’t allow that.
That's my understanding too--that the trunk can only take the 5.25" speakers.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still waiting on one part! I got the thin back pad last weekend and it looks good on it. It matches the seat pretty well. I only have a picture with my garage mess in the background. The rack is the only thing that's left and I've been told the middle of March. I like the way it looks. I had a flag on my luggage rack that fit perfectly on the trunk rail. I think the bike looks great with the trunk and I think my wife will like the extra support and tunes.
Awesome! I got the old style rack because the tie down points were more logical for what I'll be carrying. Enjoy!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's my understanding too--that the trunk can only take the 5.25" speakers.
I'd like to just do the stock roadmaster 5.25s because they are a sight cheaper, but I don't know what to do about the amplifier. Do you think the RM amp would work?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,289 Posts
There's a chance the roadmaster speakers might work but the amp specifically says 2 channel. I've seen so many other things pre wired on the bike. The saddle bag speakers are an example. The main wiring harness is already there. The error message seems to indicate the power would be capped at 50w for the front speakers and that they wouldn't be as loud. I'll have to read mine again.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,289 Posts
I'd like to just do the stock roadmaster 5.25s because they are a sight cheaper, but I don't know what to do about the amplifier. Do you think the RM amp would work?
The problem would be getting power and signal to it. It might be possible but it would be custom. How much difference in price? Is it worth doing it custom?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I replaced my base Challenger 5.25 fairing speakers with the upgraded ones. So if anyone is looking for the 5.25’s, let me know.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem would be getting power and signal to it. It might be possible but it would be custom. How much difference in price? Is it worth doing it custom?
I have no clue. Sounds like I just need to get the PowerBand front and back kits 🤑

·
5 years +
177 Posts
I have a '20 Challenger with stock fairing speakers. A trunk from an older Indian that I had to upgrade. I used the trunk harness and speakers for a '20 Roadmaster and replaced the 2 channel amp with a 4 channel in the fairing. Everything works fine but I feel the Ride Command software is a little bit too sensitive in balancing front to rear. I hope this helps you

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,289 Posts
I have no clue. Sounds like I just need to get the PowerBand front and back kits 🤑
I considered the faring powerband speakers but couldn't justify the cost to my wife. Now I have to get them to fix an error! :giggle:

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,289 Posts
I have a '20 Challenger with stock fairing speakers. A trunk from an older Indian that I had to upgrade. I used the trunk harness and speakers for a '20 Roadmaster and replaced the 2 channel amp with a 4 channel in the fairing. Everything works fine but I feel the Ride Command software is a little bit too sensitive in balancing front to rear. I hope this helps you
I just looked it up, the PN for the 20 Roadmaster and Challenger are the same.

Reactions: Hoseman

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,289 Posts
I don't doubt it. It'd be interesting to see what the 4 and the saddle bag speakers sound like. It would have to be pretty awesome.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I don't doubt it. It'd be interesting to see what the 4 and the saddle bag speakers sound like. It would have to be pretty awesome.
I’ve heard them in a showroom which is useless. I hear the four every time I’m out on my Roadmaster, though!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm still waiting on one part! I got the thin back pad last weekend and it looks good on it. It matches the seat pretty well.
At the risk of being the guy that hijacks a thread (sorry!!), I was wondering about the thin pad.... I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want more room for the passenger. However, on the indian site, it says it is basically for those with the extended reach seat (which I do not have, nor do I plan on getting). Does anyone know if this pad works well with the stock seat? Is it because it would otherwise have a gap or something when used with the regular seat?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At the risk of being the guy that hijacks a thread (sorry!!), I was wondering about the thin pad.... I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want more room for the passenger. However, on the indian site, it says it is basically for those with the extended reach seat (which I do not have, nor do I plan on getting). Does anyone know if this pad works well with the stock seat? Is it because it would otherwise have a gap or something when used with the regular seat?
I have the slim pad with the stock seat. The extended reach seat is only different in where the driver's butt is located, the passenger area is the same. I actually wanted the standard pad because I never carry a passenger and I thought it looks better being thicker, but the slim is what they sent and I'm not complaining!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts