Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey bike engineers! I love my Scout, I hope nobody else does because they could walk away with it.
Why would you NOT install a fork lock on an expensive motorcycle? Furthermore, as you know, the seat only snaps on. Peek a Boo I see a battery and possibly an opportunity to hot wire the bike.
Come on guys, I watch over my kids I don't want to babysit my motorcycle.

·
German Rider
1,733 Posts
In europe it is mandatory to have a fork lock on any motorcycle. So, there is one for your scout. Maybe not installed in the USA, but you could get one from Indian, specifically for you bike.

Cu,
Sven

·
Rider
985 Posts
I don't own a Scout but I am sure you have one. On the 111 they don't mention it in the riders manual but we have one and it is on the right side of the neck. Do you have a key? On the 111 it is keyless start but we have a key and that key locks the forks and the bags.

·
Founding Member
1,929 Posts
One of the more common methods of bike theft in the US is for two guys to pull up in a van, and simply pick up your bike and put it in the van. Fork locks are useless. You can’t hot wire a Scout easily like some cars, but if you are worried, just get a disc lock, which is more effective than a fork lock anyway.

·
Rider
985 Posts
One of the more common methods of bike theft in the US is for two guys to pull up in a van, and simply pick up your bike and put it in the van. Fork locks are useless. You can’t hot wire a Scout easily like some cars, but if you are worried, just get a disc lock, which is more effective than a fork lock anyway.
That is true on lighter bikes and yes it does happen. Even bigger bikes can be manhandled this way with more people. Alarms help to bring attention to the act but it is whether or not anybody notices or even cares to investigate that matters.

·
German Rider
1,733 Posts
Good lock. Have the same one on my Roadmaster in addition of the steering lock plus alarm - when not parked in my garage.

BTW :

Paid about 100 $ for the lock via Amazon.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
327 Posts
Makes you wonder why it wasn't install. Indian wants too much for one and haven't found a better deal for the Scout. I have good insurance though.

·
Rider
985 Posts
Good lock. Have the same one on my Roadmaster in addition of the steering lock plus alarm - when not parked in my garage.

BTW :

Paid about 100 $ for the lock via Amazon.

Cu,
Sven
Wow Sven, when I was in Deutschland I didn't think crime was that bad, but then again I didn't take my bike there.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Here in Australia it's also mandatory to have a fork lock on a new bike. But they are not very strong and can be broken by somebody sitting on the seat and pushing their foot against the left grip. Chase up youtube for security camera videos showing it happen in underground parking in housing towers etc.

A disk lock is more secure if it's a good one.

When I had a Scout I liked that I had the 1920 solo saddle as it couldn't be easily lifted out, but in the early days of the Scout there was never a member on here that reported their seat to have been stolen.

And I've seen a street camera video where thieves drove a van alongside a Harley Davidson (heavy bike), put steel bars through the spokes and with a person each side front and back lifted it into the van in a few seconds and drove off.

Luckily, Indians don't seem to get targeted for strip down spare parts so much.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Damn criminals!

After I added the Motherwell rack on the rear fender of my Scout it became difficult to remove the seat. And now that I replaced it with the Reduced Reach seat it’s next to impossible to remove!

·
German Rider
1,733 Posts
Wow Sven, when I was in Deutschland I didn't think crime was that bad, but then again I didn't take my bike there.
When was that ? Today, because of our wonderful government, way too much "friendly, law abiding" refugees plus the old problems. Why are Russian thiefs stealing 2 cars? Cauz they have to leave one in Poland on their way home.

Cu,
Sven

·
Rider
1,339 Posts
Road Lok, simple solution that saves carrying a hunk of metal around with you. All you need is the steel pin and the key.

Reactions: Arapaho

·
Rider
985 Posts
When was that ? Today, because of our wonderful government, way too much "friendly, law abiding" refugees plus the old problems. Why are Russian thiefs stealing 2 cars? Cauz they have to leave one in Poland on their way home.

Cu,
Sven
Wow! Things have changed but I do remember there being issues with cars and the russians when I was there from 2007-2010. I was stationed in Manheim. That was before the new refugee influx but still when there was a rather large Turkish population in the area I was in. Damn shame really that things have gotten worse. I don't blame your for the extra security.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Manual says "if equipped" might be a Euro only type of deal.

·
German Rider
1,733 Posts
Wow! Things have changed but I do remember there being issues with cars and the russians when I was there from 2007-2010. I was stationed in Manheim. That was before the new refugee influx but still when there was a rather large Turkish population in the area I was in. Damn shame really that things have gotten worse. I don't blame your for the extra security.
Yeah, since then, a lot changed. Sometimes in some areas, you could think, you are in a muslim country. I have no problem with immigration, but when you come to a foreign country, learn the language and do, what is common in this country and not the old shit from where you came and which was the reason to leave.

Tried to immigrate into the US the legal way. Didn't work for me/us. Now, 20 years later, I think it won't happen anymore...

You know, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Cu,
Sven

·
Rider
985 Posts
Yeah, since then, a lot changed. Sometimes in some areas, you could think, you are in a muslim country. I have no problem with immigration, but when you come to a foreign country, learn the language and do, what is common in this country and not the old shit from where you came and which was the reason to leave.

Tried to immigrate into the US the legal way. Didn't work for me/us. Now, 20 years later, I think it won't happen anymore...

You know, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Cu,
Sven
I understand. We got our own set of problems here with immigration. Some of the same issues you are facing. Sorry to hear about you not being able to immigrate here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts