Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Founding Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our retro style floorboards are super strong, and travel limited to prevent dinging your engine cases when they fold up. An added bonus is that in some cases they will literally act as engine guards against a casual drop (as long as the tires have some friction). We had one customer who went down and ground the hell out of his floorboard but the bike stayed up, preventing a lot of damage.

www.rocky-mountain-performance.com

·
Bronze member
1,457 Posts
Great. I have floor boards on mine. Haven’t tryed to lean it over to see ,but since you answered that. ....I still wouldn’t put roll bars /engine guards on it even if the floor boards didn’t keep it from going all the way down. Roll bars just look tacky to me -IMO. It’s Like ...just gotta buy more stuff to hang on a bike.

·
Founding Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great. I have floor boards on mine. Haven’t tryed to lean it over to see ,but since you answered that. ....I still wouldn’t put roll bars /engine guards on it even if the floor boards didn’t keep it from going all the way down. Roll bars just look tacky to me -IMO. It’s Like ...just gotta buy more stuff to hang
Ours do this because the geometry is right, and they are strong enough. No other board will do this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have OEM floorboards...still putting Hepco&Becker engine guards on because I think they look cool and will protect more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I installed engine guards for primarily for peace of mind, especially after encountering/reading about the angle issue with the Scout's kickstand. I ground it out to increase the angle a bit, but better safe than sorry. It's also nice being able to stretch out and rest my foot on something when on longer trips.

Interesting positive side effect of having floorboards!

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
That's a good demo. When I had a Scout I put on aftermarket boards but they scraped and folded up even before the pegs used to so I took them off and sold them. What I like about the Gort board design is the tapered rear end, which was the part on mine that scraped.

There was a time when I had a Scout that I dropped the bike onto the right side maneuvering on slippery polished concrete in a shopping centre. The footpeg folded up and the brake lever took the fall. It pushed the lever up which pulled the pushrod in the master cylinder backwards through it's locating washer.

I forced it down and had brakes again but it meant a master cylinder repair. Having some sort of protection for the lever seemed a good idea to me after that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I need them so I can stretch my legs almost all the way out on long rides when I feel like it. My led driving lights are also attached to them for a nice clean look and superior visibility on the road and in darkness. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts