Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Rider
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in southern Arizona which can prove to be a tad bit challenging to ride in the summer months. For me, the perfect temp for a nice ride is 65 degrees though obviously given my location I ride in a wide range temps throughout the year. While I am always full ATGATT at 65 degrees or more I am wearing my lightest mesh jacket, Diamond Gusset jeans, boots, gloves and a modular helmet.

As the temps rise above the mid eighties I make sure to have my evaporations/wet vest packed in the saddlebag along with a couple bottles of water {preferably chilled}. It is fairly easy to beat the worst of the heat by simply getting my butt out of bed nice and early. Here the daily highs do not occur until 3 or 4 in the afternoon and a 0600 departure assures temps in the 60 - 70 degree range at least for the first couple of hours. When it starts heating up a quick stop to thoroughly soak and don the wet vest buys me a couple more hours of comfort... think swamp cooler for your chest.

Left this morning at 0645 and it was a delightful 65 degrees. A couple of hours later it was still in the mid 70's and I had no need for the wet vest. May is just a couple of days away and we already seeing highs in the upper 90's and triple digits are forecast for Thursday on... Admittedly it is far easier to bundle up in the cooler weather and get on down the road but by leaving early and carrying a wet vest, not to mention the critical importantance of staying seriously hydrated makes summer in Arizona a lot more doable than you might think.

The other great solution as Mr. Myagi explained to Danielsan... best way, No be dere! The campgrounds of our local mountains open {Coronavirus not withstanding... and let's not go there for now} on May first as a function of waiting out the melting snows. Heat is no longer an issue once you reach 6, 7, 8 or even 9,000'+ and that campfire every night just gets better and better. My 24'Class C motorhome with the 10' cargo trailer hauling my Springfield will see a lot of miles starting very soon. I hope you all get to ride a lot {my relatives in MA keep sending pics of snow and ice - what the hell is up with that???} and if you get the chance come on out to Arizona for some serious fun. Fly in, rent a bike and head for the mountains...

(y)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Not my favorite - Anything about 108. Favorite, Mid 60s to 70s.

Reactions: Lord Bard Prime

·
Rider
1,328 Posts
I will ride in anything over 68...

but my favorite is 80 degrees with @ 55% humidity...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I spend the winters in the your state, Captain, but I'm afraid I couldn't hang with it in the summer. My favorite temps to ride would be in the 60's too. We winter in Cottonwood, and my parents lived in Bullhead city for many years. I love Arizona.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Founding Member
680 Posts
Here in NW Ohio, with it's high humidity, 55 - 70 works best for me. Will ride anywhere between 40 and 100 though. Have ridden in 108 degree heat in the desert southwest. It is preferable to 95 here, when it's humid - Dan

·
Registered
249 Posts
60 to 70 is my favorite. Always loved a nice ride in early fall. Like others here I’ll ride in a wide range. 38 and dry is my normal low end now. About the most uncomfortable heat was crossing Kansas during a heat wave in the summer of 1980 on a Denver to Baltimore run riding a 79 Sportster.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,380 Posts
I'll ride down to 50 degrees F but my comfort range is from 65 to 85 degrees. Above 85 and it starts getting hot and above 90 it is hot at least when it's humid like here in Ohio. Below 65 and it starts getting chilly especially below sixty.

·
Rider
1,231 Posts
65 to 70 with the late in the day sun is my favorite time.
I am what I guess im called a fair weather rider. I never ride in the rain and really dont dig being cold and bundled up so 48 to 50 is my cutoff temp and usually dont ride below that.

·
Rider
768 Posts
I'll ride between 35 and 110. I have been stuck in temps below and above, but not by choice. My preferred temp is 60-80. Left for work today and it was 62. The ride home road temp was 99 as per my temp gauge. It's way too early in the year for temps to be knocking on 100.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I cheat! I can ride in any cold temp cause I have a full set of the Gerbing ELectric Clothing:jacket,pants,gloves,socks,and the thermostat to regulate the heat.The coldest temp I've ridden in to date was -25*F.Although,it is just a tad on the chilly side when first turned on, but not bad at all after a few minutes.Of course,the machine rode like it had NO SUSPENSION,[like it has square tires] lol,but does soften after it's been riden for awhile.lol lol And then,just in case you guys didn't know this, there is also an AC set up available,very similar to the heated clothing,only in reverse.However, I don't own that cause it's quite pricy,but is available if anyone is interested and or has more money then brains. lol lol lol Dave!!!

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Favorite is high 60's low 70's. I'm comfortable in a short sleeve t-shirt and 1/2 helmet. Below 50, I'll put on my insulated jeans and modular helmet. Above 90, I'll pack a cooler in the trunk and pack the wet vest.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well I lived in North Eastern WI for most of my life, but in Phoenix AZ for a bit in between. In WI my favorite is between 65 and 85, in Phoenix it was 75 to 95 all Fahrenheit. In WI it gets hot in the summer with the high humidity, but on the bike it was good until you stopped. In AZ in the triple digits the faster you went the hotter it got, like a convection oven. I can ride in WI from 40 degrees and up. Below that and you have to think about ice and frost ruining your day, but I do have heated gear. In AZ it's the opposite. You have to worry about over heating and dehydration so you have gear to help you with that. So I guess it all depends on your location and weather characteristics. Overall I would have to say my favorite temperature to ride is whatever temp it is when I'm in the saddle heading down the road, whatever road that happens to be and where ever that road is.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts