Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
that is the voltage regulator. the wires being exposed like that is not usually a problem, as the environmental shielding is usually sufficient for protection.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
If you look at older bikes you'll see that unit in front of the motor, often bolted up high to the frame.

The regulator/rectifier has to be in an airstream to cool it. It's not the same as the alternator in your car that keeps a cool head in all circumstances. Bikes tend to have old style stuff, a stator generates power but it keeps on increasing it's output as revs rise. The regulator part of that unit keeps it down to 12 volts and the rectifier part of it converts AC to DC.

As revs rise and the stator gives more juice, those amps need to go somewhere or the system cooks. If you have the headlight on high beam and are on the brakes and using the turn indicators and have your powered gloves plugged in somewhere you are using the amps. Without all those losses the power goes into a heat sink, which is why all those fins are under the unit.

My first bike back in the 60s was a BSA Bantam. It had no regulator so I had to be careful riding at night. If I revved too high the headlight burnt out. I'm still surprised that bikes don't just put in an alternator and bring an end to the stator plus R/R unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts