Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya folks,

So I filled up the bike with gas today and noticed some fuel leakage under the bike. I freaked out and went looking for the source and I couldn't find anything at or near the carb but the fuel was definitely coming out of my bike. I gave it 20 minutes to evaporate and left it parked over a dry spot the entire time but no more fuel was to be found on the ground. When I got home I went over it front to back and the only thing I could think of was this hose on the right side tank that runs down the frame and ends just underneath the front of the motor. So I pulled out my trusty service manual to find out if it is an overflow or some kind of breather only to be shocked at not finding that part mentioned or listed in the fuel section. "No worries" I thought. "I'll break out the parts book and it will be in the exploded diagram for sure! Umm nope...

I have attached a picture of the tube in question, maybe somebody can tell me what the heck it is.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,817 Posts
Some bikes have over fill drains, if you fill to the brim it drain to a level that allows the cap to fit and not push gas out over the tank.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply I assumed that is what this is. Would it be an aftermarket thing? It would not surprise me at all, I am constantly finding stuff that the previous owner changed/added..

So many fancy quality of life things on these newer bikes. My old triumph is more jealous every day.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hiya folks,

So I filled up the bike with gas today and noticed some fuel leakage under the bike. I freaked out and went looking for the source and I couldn't find anything at or near the carb but the fuel was definitely coming out of my bike. I gave it 20 minutes to evaporate and left it parked over a dry spot the entire time but no more fuel was to be found on the ground. When I got home I went over it front to back and the only thing I could think of was this hose on the right side tank that runs down the frame and ends just underneath the front of the motor. So I pulled out my trusty service manual to find out if it is an overflow or some kind of breather only to be shocked at not finding that part mentioned or listed in the fuel section. "No worries" I thought. "I'll break out the parts book and it will be in the exploded diagram for sure! Umm nope...

I have attached a picture of the tube in question, maybe somebody can tell me what the heck it is.

Thanks.
It is your tank vent line, the gas caps are none venting, the tube lets air enter the tank to allow the fuel flow.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Gas tank vent...if that thing gets plugged or is not cut at an angle, your bike will stop sucking fuel and stop running.......

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I assumed it was a vent or overflow, but I have known to be wrong... often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts