Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Indian Scout
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was installing the Freedom Performance Racing slip on mufflers, I noticed this connector hanging down behind the engine, and ahead of the rear tire. Does anyone have an idea what it is for, and why it is hanging there? This is a used Scout, so I am not sure what it is for. Thanks!
Charlie
Automotive tire Gas Cable Electrical wiring Auto part
Car Automotive tire Tire Hood Vehicle

·
Registered
617 Posts
It almost looks like the plug in for the ecm but I’m not positive. If you look under the seat by the battery do you see a similar looking connector that should have a cap on the end protecting it?

·
German Rider
2,449 Posts
First, I don't know it, but since you want to install different mufflers, maybe it is connected to the O2 sensors of the stock exhaust ? Just a guess...

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
2018 Indian Scout
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s a purple and blue wire, and the wire isn’t long enough to reach anywhere close to the battery. My stock mufflers didn’t have a O2 sensor in them nor do the pipes close to this connector. It is a waterproof connector, but not sure what for. It looks like there are two bolt holes, one on each side, with nuts welded into them from the factory, on the frame facing rearward. Perhaps there was a plate across the back and the ABS system was down here, and this might be connected to that, as my bike isn’t ABS. I am curious…
Charlie

·
Registered
2018 Indian Scout
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It almost looks like the plug in for the ecm but I’m not positive. If you look under the seat by the battery do you see a similar looking connector that should have a cap on the end protecting it?
I thought perhaps it is the connector to plug in a programmer to change the ecu when you want more performance, but it’s open to the elements, and this isn’t good. I think I will clean it up and wrap some tape on it and heat shrink a cover over it to keep water out of it, until I can find out what it’s is for.

·
Registered
2021 Scout
117 Posts
If it is a California model, it could be the Purge Valve connector for the EVAP system. The service manual show the wires as dark blue with black stripe (DB/BK) and violet with yellow stripe (VT/YE).

·
Registered
2018 Indian Scout
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it is a California model, it could be the Purge Valve connector for the EVAP system. The service manual show the wires as dark blue with black stripe (DB/BK) and violet with yellow stripe (VT/YE).
Yes, I can’t tell if the wire have black or yellow stripe, but it’s possible. I’ll go look at it again, and see if I can determine if it has those color stripes. Thanks!
Charlie

·
Registered
2018 Indian Scout
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bingo! It has that color code for both wires. So, I will tape and shrink wrap the connector so it doesn’t corrode the pins, and call it done!
Charlie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts