Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2020 Scout mid August and have driven 4000 km since. Really love driving the Belgian curvy country roads but after an hour or two in the saddle my back really starts to hurt. I've been reading a lot about other saddles like the Corbin or the Mustang to replace my stock Indian saddle. I know it's kind of a personal preference thing but still would like to get some advise from more experienced Scout drivers on this forum. Specially because I'm not what you would call 'a small guy' (130kg). :cool: Or does it simply takes some time to break-in the stock saddle?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think you’ve got to give a bit of time to break in the stock seat.
I’ve got a Corbin dual touring seat and it was great from the installation and very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,429 Posts
I have had a Corbin solo on my 2019 Scout for a year now. It has a much better contour than the stock seat but it also is very firm. As long as the roads are relatively smooth it is reasonably comfortable but when the road surface is rough it doesn't take very long for it to become painful. I am not sure what to do other than add a pad on top to absorb some of the jolting. A sprung saddle might have been a better choice but aftermarket seats are expensive things to be experimenting with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just installed a spring seat yesterday. Only got in a 50 mile ride, but it seemed better over bumps for the back. Lot firmer on the butt than the stock seat though. It is a budget model with not much padding. Riding to work today. Lots of heaved expansion joints that have been giving my back fits. Will report back after I get home.

·
4,429 Posts
Thanks, yeah a more padded version of a sprung saddle might be the ticket.

·
Registered
31 Posts
100 miles today. Lots of expansion joints and other irregularities that usually require me to pull up off the seat. Today only the worst 2 or 3 required it. The spring saddle is a winner in my opinion.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you want to stay OEM, the stock extended reach seat is very comfortable. More so if you keep it supple with 303 protectant.

I also hear good things about the 1920 seat, since it’s much wider than the frame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got a Russell Day Long seat from Russell Motorcycle products in California. They custom make a seat for your size, build and riding position. My butt used to get sore after a couple hours. Now I can ride all day and no problems. It's well worth the money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought the comfort seat by Indian for my 2021 Bobber. Amazing difference in comfort and made the suspension feel so much better over bumps. So much bang for the Buck. Not just for the comfort but it making bumpy choppy roads feel way better. Also retains the awesome look of the stock seat and color.
20201021_011124.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll put in a plug for the OEM 1920 solo saddle. So far it's the best mod I've made. It significantly changes the riding posture -- it moves your butt up and forward about 2" in each direction -- but it is a VAST improvement in terms of comfort, handling, and (IMHO) looks.

The reason I got a standard Scout rather than the Bobber was the saddle (it's awful). If I'd know I'd be swapping out the saddle in the end anyway I'd have gotten a Bobber.

--Jaeger

·
Bronze member
1,094 Posts
I got my 2020 Scout mid August and have driven 4000 km since. Really love driving the Belgian curvy country roads but after an hour or two in the saddle my back really starts to hurt. I've been reading a lot about other saddles like the Corbin or the Mustang to replace my stock Indian saddle. I know it's kind of a personal preference thing but still would like to get some advise from more experienced Scout drivers on this forum. Specially because I'm not what you would call 'a small guy' (130kg). :cool: Or does it simply takes some time to break-in the stock saddle?
I bought a Corbin and it was the best money I’ve spent on the bike. It was so worth it I got my wife one for her scout. Here’s a review I did of the seat, hopefully it’ll answer some of your questions. Let me know if you have any other questions. I added an extra video I made comparing the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
524 Posts
I bought the Mustang solo seat with backrest for my 2017 Scout69. Better than OEM, but still not really loving it. If I had it to do over again, I would go with a Russell Day-Long because a number of people have said its the best. One guy I met yesterday on the road said he has been using them for years on all his bikes and said "Best money he ever spent!" The Mustang setup cost me over $500, so the Day-Long would have been comparable in price. I may still go for it and try to sell the Mustang.

·
Rider
524 Posts
Will somebody reassure me before I plunk another $500+ down? Is the Russell Day Long seat for the Scout-69 so wide that it makes it hard to straddle the bike anymore (I'm about 5'-6" with 29" inseam)? Any pictures to share (there seem to be very few around)? Opinions? (I know there are other threads on this, but this one seems just as suitable as the others...)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm reassure you. The Russell Day Long is a little wider further forward, so it evens out your weight over a larger area. That makes all the difference in the world for ridability. It changes your position somewhat when at a stop. That took a couple of days to get used to, but the difference in being able to ride as long as I want without my butt being sore made the stop position a truly minor adjustment.
I got my RDL after reading reviews from other folks here on the forum. Best money I've spent on this bike.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
20201027_164800.jpg
20201027_164747 (2).jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was not happy until I installed the extended reach saddle from Indian. Mine is leather and fits my 6’ frame perfectly. Huge improvement for me over the stock seat. I believe it it also a bit wider.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I was not happy until I installed the extended reach saddle from Indian. Mine is leather and fits my 6’ frame perfectly. Huge improvement for me over the stock seat. I believe it it also a bit wider.
Same here. The day long looks super comfortable... but I just can’t get over the looks. It looks like a toilet seat to me, I guess I’m too vain to deserve comfort.

·
4,429 Posts
I just went from a Corbin Solo seat to a Mother Road Customs Scout springer saddle. It is much better on the rough bumpy back roads and streets around here. It's contour is that of a tractor seat essentially and I got mine with the extra gel padding.

·
Bronze member
2,166 Posts
mustang runaround is OK. it puts you back which is what i wanted, but more than an hour and it sucks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts