Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so from the start... I washed my 215 vintage yesterday with dawn dish soap and water like i always do then used bleach white on the whitewalls and dried it with a shammy and immediately rolled it back into the carport and put the cover on it. i come back later that evening and went for a ride. By time i got where i was going i notice this absolutely HORRID smell. Almost a dead animal, burning pee/hair smell and i came back home. The bike sat overnight I got on this morning and when the bike got to operating temp here comes the smell again! i sniffed and sniffed I cannot smell it anywhere except where i have pictured below in the circled area. I have never smelled anything like this so im not sure how to explain and i know it probably makes no sense but what the heck? any ides?!

Also i should note i suspected a stray cat or dog pissed on it but the cover was on the bike and the cover does not smell nor does it have a wet spot or stain.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive design Mode of transport

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
IDK, but if I were you, I wouldn't be using Dawn dish soap on your paint!!! If you have to use a soap, use a good quality car wash, followed by a detail or wax spray. Dawn will strip off any wax finish you have on your paint, and if you don't put a wax or detail spray on your paint after you've used Dawn, you're ruining your paint. Also, I wouldn't use bleach on your whitewalls. Bleach is very corrosive. I know tires are pretty sturdy, but after so many times of using bleach on rubber, you are breaking it down, and it may start cracking.

Try Mr Clean Magic Erasers on your whitewalls. They work great! Just wet them and wipe, the grime just comes right off!

As for the smell...beats me! LOL. Sorry to be a nag, but take care of that paint!

·
Banned
2,570 Posts
IMO, I also wouldn't put a cover on until the bike is completely dry. Otherwise you may be getting a humidity cloud under the cover that may promote rust.
I always towel dry my bike, use a leaf blower in it, then towel dry again.
Sorry about the smell. Maybe a small rodent crawled into something. That would be my guess. I had that happen when I lived up north. Maybe a mouse entered your exhaust and nested in your cat.

·
Gold member
6,463 Posts
Also remove your air breather and see if the cover is collecting any oil, maybe getting a burn off! Sort of the same area opposite side! Good luck! If you think it's a rodent or bird try using a coat hanger up the pipes!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,624 Posts
May have got some of either product on the pipes under the heat shield or possibly a mouse huddled up inside to get warm. I'd start by looking between the pipe and heat shield, and if I didn't find anything then clean that area the best I could with plain water from the hose; deluge the area with massive amounts of water and try to run a rag up there as best you can. Just make sure you don't leave anything behind to melt and start stinking again.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
Don't know where you live but in my area, pack rats and mice abound. Carport? Prime area for a small rodent to wreak havoc on your ride. and wires, especially when the weather cools and their looking for a place to nest. They hate bounce dryer sheets for some reason. Strategically place near your ride, or under the cover will repel them.
My Honda Shadow was a place they found a good nest in the aircleaner which was under the seat. Quite a tight space but they found their way in. Hell of a time with no-start till I figured it out. Even used the paper element for nesting material. Good Luck
Pat

·
Registered
180 Posts
I also suspect a mouse behind the heat shield or inside the pipe. Easiest, cheapest, most effective way to prevent this sort of thing is a bucket trap placed along a wall near where you park the bike...

A BETTER MOUSE TRAP

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
You probably had a Soft-bellied Swamp Clacker crawl into your pipe overnight. They are attracted to the hydrogen-oxide odor near the catalytic converter, much like spiders are attracted to the smell of propane in your barbecue. Because of the shape of their scales, they can crawl in head-first, but cannot back out. They are called "clackers" because when air moves over their back scales, it vibrates with a sharp, clacking sound. Those same conditions present themselves when they are stuck in the exhaust pipe, usually at around 2,200 RPM, which obviously finally explains that noise that many here have complained about. They will eventually dehydrate and shrink from the heat and blow out the pipe under hard acceleration, which is quite a spectacle for those of us who have seen it happen.

Corn on the cob

Attachments

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Don't know where you live but in my area, pack rats and mice abound. Carport? Prime area for a small rodent to wreak havoc on your ride. and wires, especially when the weather cools and their looking for a place to nest. They hate bounce dryer sheets for some reason. Strategically place near your ride, or under the cover will repel them.
My Honda Shadow was a place they found a good nest in the aircleaner which was under the seat. Quite a tight space but they found their way in. Hell of a time with no-start till I figured it out. Even used the paper element for nesting material. Good Luck
Pat
Hey Top ..............like your Southern Cross logo. Met Mark/Thumper the other day in Cottonwood. Some weekend you want to ride to Jerome, let me know. I'm here on and off for awhile.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IDK, but if I were you, I wouldn't be using Dawn dish soap on your paint!!! If you have to use a soap, use a good quality car wash, followed by a detail or wax spray. Dawn will strip off any wax finish you have on your paint, and if you don't put a wax or detail spray on your paint after you've used Dawn, you're ruining your paint. Also, I wouldn't use bleach on your whitewalls. Bleach is very corrosive. I know tires are pretty sturdy, but after so many times of using bleach on rubber, you are breaking it down, and it may start cracking.

Try Mr Clean Magic Erasers on your whitewalls. They work great! Just wet them and wipe, the grime just comes right off!

As for the smell...beats me! LOL. Sorry to be a nag, but take care of that paint!
IMO, I also wouldn't put a cover on until the bike is
completely dry. Otherwise you may be getting a humidity cloud under the cover that may promote rust.
I always towel dry my bike, use a leaf blower in it, then towel dry again.
Sorry about the smell. Maybe a small rodent crawled into something. That would be my guess. I had that happen when I lived up north. Maybe a mouse entered your exhaust and nested in your cat.
I understand my post was not very forthcoming on the exact process BUT.! Yes i was actually referring to Bleche white the whitewall cleaning product :cool: not actual bleach . I have always used dawn. and then usually i finish off with the NU finish car polish in the nice little orange bottle. I just didn't have time yesterday. But i will try some other stuff. I was not aware of it being harmful to the paint. the bike is mostly dry when put away its not all that wet. Now im sure moisture remains in places i cant get with a shammy but i didn't think it would be an issue . "Usually" my whole process i spend a couple hours cleaning, drying then polishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like you cooked a rodent. I'm betting in the pipe. Does your exhaust sounds different than normal?
Pat
Currently located in southern central Missouri on the Arkansas Border. I did look in around the heat shield like suggested but i found nothing and i considered the rodent crawling up the tail pipe but haven't had a chance to investigate further. Although i did stick my nose at the end of the pipe and smelled nothing but gear-head goodness. No drop in power or a change in the exhaust sound either. I will do some more looking when i get home today.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Since we're talking animals here, do you use a real chamois?

Also, Dawn does not hurt or ruin paint. It simply is good at removing a lot of surfactants, wax
Mammal Vertebrate Chamois Goats Wildlife
and contaminants, leaving a bare clear coat. Ready to wax.

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
By time i got where i was going i notice this absolutely HORRID smell. Almost a dead animal, burning pee/hair smell and i came back home. The bike sat overnight I got on this morning and when the bike got to operating temp here comes the smell again!
Quite possible the animal got burned, peed and twisted and turned and in its death throws, jumped off the bike while you were riding. Kinda like from the frying pan to the fire. Try washing the bike again.
I had a 69 Impala that when got hot, smelled like fried chicken for a week. At first I thought it was a KFC, but there were none in the area. The smell was every where I went. I finally examined under the car and found 3 well cooked kittens on top of the muffler. I guess they had crawled up there to get warm and when I sat in the car they got stuck and that was that. Felt kinda bad. Scraped them out and the smell was gone.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
By time i got where i was going i notice this absolutely HORRID smell. Almost a dead animal, burning pee/hair smell and i came back home. The bike sat overnight I got on this morning and when the bike got to operating temp here comes the smell again!
Quite possible the animal got burned, peed and twisted and turned and in its death throws, jumped off the bike while you were riding. Kinda like from the frying pan to the fire. Try washing the bike again.
I had a 69 Impala that when got hot, smelled like fried chicken for a week. At first I thought it was a KFC, but there were none in the area. The smell was every where I went. I finally examined under the car and found 3 well cooked kittens on top of the muffler. I guess they had crawled up there to get warm and when I sat in the car they got stuck and that was that. Felt kinda bad. Scraped them out and the smell was gone.
:eek:

·
Rider
470 Posts
Had this type horrid smell as a young dude driving tractor on the farm. Went on for days. Finally found 1 dry cell in the tractor battery (near the cab) creating the stink.
Don't know if these bikes will even function that way today........ check for cracks??
Carry on.......

1 - 20 of 37 Posts