Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,062 Posts
wassup77 that's their flat track version... the FTR beats that hands down...
In that class of motorcycle, Harley has a lot more than Indian FTR's to contend with. I'm not much of a fan of the 'flat tracker' look anyway, and came away from riding an FTR with a 'Ya, that's kinda nice, but why is the damn seat so damn high?' impression. The Harley cafe-style bike shown does appeal to me however, and I would look forward to riding an example, maybe at this year's Sturgis Rally? I suppose that, in order to appear 'with it' and trendy, instead of round 'geezer gauges' on the thing, it'll have one of those shitty looking phone-thing instrument clusters that I despise.

·
5,062 Posts
View attachment 583101
This area/gap is absolutely killing me..
Ya, cafe version is the same. I didn't notice that until you pointed it out, now it's all I see. The entire fuel tank looks like it was slapped on without any thought towards integrating the line flow with surrounding shapes, the seat/tank juncture as an example.

·
5,062 Posts
I don't suppose Harley would ever consider using an outside design group to help get their shit in order in this area. Once they wander very far from floorboards and handlebar streamers, they seem to founder rather badly.

·
Diamond member
8,814 Posts
I don't suppose Harley would ever consider using an outside design group to help get their shit in order in this area. Once they wander very far from floorboards and handlebar streamers, they seem to founder rather badly.
In every new design they come with I'm always reminded of Bob Ueker saying,,,,
"Juuuust a bit outside"

·
Bronze member
2,055 Posts
Neither design has any appeal for me...both look dated, like they were designed for the 70s/80s. HD needs an outside design team...maybe hire someone from one of the Italian bike manufacturers. Looks-wise, the FTR runs circles around these.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,074 Posts
Neither design has any appeal for me...both look dated, like they were designed for the 70s/80s. HD needs an outside design team...maybe hire someone from one of the Italian bike manufacturers. Looks-wise, the FTR runs circles around these.
I'm going to reserve judgement on the looks until I see the finished bikes in public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Diamond member
8,814 Posts
That looks suspiciously like it was modelled on this classic British bike below and given a modern twist.
View attachment 583782
True but I think it resembles it’s on cafe design 1978 XLCR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As a smaller bike dude, and fan of vintage race styled bikes and modern bikes, I'll say what I've said in regards to the RG/Challenger debate..
The only similarities I see between the new HD, and the 2 bikes you fine gents put forth That I see between ANY of the 3 is, they are all black all have small fairings and similar seating ergos. besides that they look nothing alike. IMHO.
That said, I believe familiarity plays a big role in this. When we automatically see all the small details in full,, they set the machines over all look apart significantly.
Much like before I was as familiar with HD as a whole.
I thought HD made only 3 models, because they all looked exactly the same to me, yes, many still do to me but When I say that to a Harlista, they think I'm nuts.. which I am, but as I said, I think familiarity of a segment and its details are the biggest factor in this paradox.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts