Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen at least one person swap around their bags between leather and the stock, hard bags....back and forth. What all is involved in being able to do this?

I like that our bikes are the "Transformers" of the Indian line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think all it takes is lots of money. I like the look of the leather bags too....but they are expensive.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping for some more technical info, like what is involved with dealing with the electrical wiring, etc...

Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kathy

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have 2014 leather bags and am working on making them interchangeable without swapping out any fender hardware.

Reactions: BHlvr

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you are able to share info and pics about what you're doing. Thanks for anything that you can contribute.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Interesting idea, swap between Springfield and Chief looks. The nice thing about our bikes is all of the factory plugs for the harness are hidden behind the side panels, so that part is done. The only thing you would need to check is that the mounting spools are the same? Do you have a parts manual to investigate that? If not, I think Indians web site does and you could check that way.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The spools are not the same and unless you swap out the hardware on the fender, they are not interchangeable. Modification of the leather bags' spools is required to fit hardbag fender hardware,.. at least, that's the route I'm taking to make this work.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you do about the 12V socket and wiring that is installed in the hard bag?

·
Registered
884 Posts
What do you do about the 12V socket and wiring that is installed in the hard bag?
It plugs in behind the battery side cover, so easy disconnect and the wire stays with the hard bag once removed.

Reactions: BHlvr

·
Registered
150 Posts
As others have mentioned, the electrical part is easy, one quick disconnect plug on each side for the hard bags, tucked under the side panels. Just pop the panel and disconnect the wiring.
The spools are a bit of hassle for pre 2019 bike hardware as before that the hard bags were a larger spool size and the leather bags smaller spool. But there’s about a dozen ways to make them work depending on what you have and what you want. So if you wanted to keep the quick disconnect and use both bags, before you had to get sorta creative and make both bags work with one spool size. You’d have to take into account passenger backrest if you already had one as those are sized for the spools. Indian has made this part a bit simpler if you don’t mind spending a bit as the quick release latch kit($160) now comes with 2 pins, longer pin for hard bags, shorter pin for leather(since 2019 all bags use same spool size and come as bolt on so the quick release latches are an accessory). Or forget the quick disconnect and do a bolt on setup. Takes a few more seconds to unscrew and remove bags over the quick disconnect, but still quick and easy and more secure on the bike. And there’s a couple ways to go about getting bolt on spools or or the bolts from Indian to make the larger spools bolt if ya have a pre 2019 bike with quick release. The only drastically expensive part of it all is acquiring both sets of bags, leather and hard, as either one from Indian is pricey.

·
Registered
884 Posts
As others have mentioned, the electrical part is easy, one quick disconnect plug on each side for the hard bags, tucked under the side panels. Just pop the panel and disconnect the wiring.
The spools are a bit of hassle for pre 2019 bike hardware as before that the hard bags were a larger spool size and the leather bags smaller spool. But there’s about a dozen ways to make them work depending on what you have and what you want. So if you wanted to keep the quick disconnect and use both bags, before you had to get sorta creative and make both bags work with one spool size. You’d have to take into account passenger backrest if you already had one as those are sized for the spools. Indian has made this part a bit simpler if you don’t mind spending a bit as the quick release latch kit($160) now comes with 2 pins, longer pin for hard bags, shorter pin for leather(since 2019 all bags use same spool size and come as bolt on so the quick release latches are an accessory). Or forget the quick disconnect and do a bolt on setup. Takes a few more seconds to unscrew and remove bags over the quick disconnect, but still quick and easy and more secure on the bike. And there’s a couple ways to go about getting bolt on spools or or the bolts from Indian to make the larger spools bolt if ya have a pre 2019 bike with quick release. The only drastically expensive part of it all is acquiring both sets of bags, leather and hard, as either one from Indian is pricey.
Do you have any more information on making the larger spools into bolt-on?

·
Registered
884 Posts
These guys make the spools that are supposed to be better than what Indian was offering.
Who does? I think the link is missing?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My bike is a 2019 model. I was hoping to find leather bags that would just swap between the existing spools but I'm not sure I really like the Indian leather bags. Have been looking at Iron Bags but really need to learn more about how various leather bags attach and whether they'd work with the existing spools. I guess I need to look more closely at what Osprey offers.

I appreciate the info regarding the electrical connections. :)

·
Rider
1,179 Posts
My bike is a 2019 model. I was hoping to find leather bags that would just swap between the existing spools but I'm not sure I really like the Indian leather bags. Have been looking at Iron Bags but really need to learn more about how various leather bags attach and whether they'd work with the existing spools. I guess I need to look more closely at what Osprey offers.

I appreciate the info regarding the electrical connections. :)
I have Iron Bags on my Vintage. You don't use any of the OEM hardware. Iron Bags come with their own mounting hardware, which is solid mount, not quick change, although it only takes two minutes to remove them or put them on.
Hope this helps. BTW, I have my OEM bags listed for sale on the forum.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was on Craigslist Michigan/Grand rapids yesterday. Their is a set of Indian leather bags (brown) for 800.00 with spools.

·
Bronze member
2,950 Posts
This is the same guy . From this forum .

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have Iron Bags on my Vintage. You don't use any of the OEM hardware. Iron Bags come with their own mounting hardware, which is solid mount, not quick change, although it only takes two minutes to remove them or put them on.
Hope this helps. BTW, I have my OEM bags listed for sale on the forum.
Your bike was what introduced me to Iron Bags. They look great on your Vintage. (y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts