Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Indian Scout front tire. 8500 miles on it.
19 months old tire. DOT date of production 1018 (10 week of 2018).
Tread depth left 4mm or more, sufficient for some 1000-2000 miles life left in this tire, considering the tread depth.

Tire developed fine cracks all around the middle of the tread. Those cracks look similar to dry rot.

When I took the bike under warranty to the nice people in my Indian dealership, they had to ask Polaris should they replace this tire.

Indian dealership told me that Polaris denied my warranty claim, with the excuse it is normal tire wear.

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

For the reference, rear tire wears as it should, normally, the same production date, tread is deeper, like 5mm+, and there are no cracks or dry rot.

Can somebody please take a look at a pics posted below.

How does this look to you? Does it look as defective tire to be replaced under warranty, or "normal tire wear" as Polaris claims?

Any comments appreciated.

20191029_144624.jpg
indian scout tire  1.jpg
indian scout tire 0.jpg
indian scout tire  3.jpg
indian scout tire  4.jpg
indian scout tire  4.jpg
20191024_093909.jpg
20191029_082452.jpg
20191102_140723.jpg

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
Its normal wear but you should replace it.

Where you happen to live has a lot to do with causing that type of deterioration.

Where do you live?

·
Rider
820 Posts
Interesting...
Weird question: Wherever you keep the bike, is there a refrigerator or freezer in the room?
Like in many garages?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would like to know that answer as well . Mine aren’t doing that yet, but I have this same tires .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Chicago, IL.

Bike was in the nice (unheated) storage last winter, on the motorcycle lift, w. both tires in the air. No refrigerators there, just 20 cars and 20 bikes and a garage lift for cars.

Tires are filled w N2 (Nitrogen gas).

Tires were not exposed to the sun, except while riding. No excessive heat this summer that I remember.

During the riding season, bike sleeps outside, covered w. a motorcycle cover + heavy duty tarp to protect the cover from the sun.

I even kiss my bike goodnight.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had the same thing with my stock tires, front was worst than back had 3000 kms on it. Took bike to dealer and was told it was from not the right air in tire, I have had bikes for 50 years and check air the same way on all of them, never had this. Only seen this once on a bike tire and it was from the tire being old and left out in the weather it had dried out and as you said like rot. Dealer said not covered under warranty so I had to replace front and back to be safe. Never seen it on a new car or bike before, just funny that it is on the Indian and mine is a Harley maybe it is some kind of cost cutting as both brands of bikes have tires made just for them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think the "MADE IN TAIWAN" script says it all. In the future dont but chinese tires. I know you didnt have a choice.

·
Founding Member
419 Posts
Back in 2015 I had WW Dunlops on my 2014 Classic and there was significant discoloring on the WW of the rear tire, not just mine but lots of tires were showing this characteristic. Polaris would not cover the warranty on the tire. I was told to contact the manufacturer (name specific within Dunlop) and they would take care of the issue. Which they did. Maybe if there are more than just a few people with these Kenda's you could get Kenda to do the swap out. Real question is, do you want to have the same brand placed on your bike after seeing what your first set has done.

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
Time to swap for a set of Night Dragons. Having ridden both, I'd happily pay for another set over a free set of the "tires" that Polaris puts on stock anyway. Otherwise, you'd be in the same situation 18 months down the road anyway and would miss out on all that sweet handling grip in the meantime.

As far as is it normal? It is certainly sub par tire quality, but I don't know that it is abnormally so, depending on conditions. It is what it is, inflation has decreased the value of the dollar while wages have remained stagnant for years, $11-$13k for a bike (Scout) doesn't buy what it used to.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Even if they did warranty it, it would be pro-rated meaning at 1-2k miles left, you'll be paying for nearly all of the same model tire to be put back on it.

Tire warranties don't let you use a tire up then warranty replacement the whole amount.

Go ahead and get yourself a good tire.

·
Senior member / rider
1,274 Posts
The Kenda tires that were OEM on Scouts are junk. Polaris, thankfully, started using Night Dragons as OEM on Scouts (not 60’s). You’ve gotten 8500 on the crappy Kendas, do yourself a favor and get some Commanders or Night Dragons. It is not worth the effort to fight for another Kenda.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I thought the 2018 and ups had the Perrellis? my 2018 scout came with Night Dragons.

·
Registered
Indian Scout 2018
256 Posts
It looks like the start of dry rot go to a tire shop and ask them to check it out
I personally wouldn't ride on a tire like that especially on 2 wheels

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks everybody for some good views on this. I understand that I will need to change tires, I am set to go w Michelin Commanders II.

I meant to install 90-degrees Angled low profile aluminum valve stems for easier access for checking the pressure and inflating the tires. That’s because I didn’t see black 45 Degree Valve Stem or 85 Degree Valve Stem. Are there any recommended valve stems? They all look the same to me, both $18 and $3 FleaBay Chinese valve stems. Except they come in 2 sizes: 8mm and 11mm.
$4.09 Motorcycle Tire Stem Extender Car 90 Degree .jpg

I got black OEM rims 1522091-266 on the Scout.
rim1.jpg rim valve stem hole size.jpg

Does anybody know what size is the valve stem hole in my Scout rims? Is it the same size for both front and rear rim?

Also, do you recommend applying the BEAD SEALER XTRA SEAL to the rims to avoid eventual air leak against the bead?
BEAD SEALER XTRA SEAL.jpg

·
Silver member
5,450 Posts
I just use tire mounting soap, never had a tire leak at the bead. Heck sometimes even just windex to make the tire just slippery enough.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts