Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like a dumb question but here’s what happened today.
I took my 19 Chieftain in for the 500 mile service. The dealer is about 50 miles away. When I got home I put the bike on the lift and installed the cat delete header pipe. I started the bike while on the lift to check for leaks and I could hear a lower engine noise. I got very concerned so I checked the oil level and found it about a inch below the add mark. The bike was up straight and had been running for about 2-5 minutes. The oil light never came on. Should I be concerned. I never went over 70 for the return trip.

·
Rider
1,160 Posts
You could be 1/2 quart down which shouldnt hurt it but if your bike is mfg on feb 19 or later it has a 6 qt system if you look at the tag you will see date of mfg
Also if the plug has the crankcase showing a ring around the top showing its 5 1/2 qts and if cap completely covers the hole then is 6 qts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could be 1/2 quart down which shouldnt hurt it but if your bike is mfg on feb 19 or later it has a 6 qt system if you look at the tag you will see date of mfg
Also if the plug has the crankcase showing a ring around the top showing its 5 1/2 qts and if cap completely covers the hole then is 6 qts
Can you give me a little more detail? Where is the data plate with build date? I not sure where you mean for the plug. I guessing the bottom of the engine?
Thanks

·
Founding member
1,149 Posts
Just a bit of information from some past experiences:
When I took my bike in for her 15k mile service, I got a pretty good talking to from the service tech because I was a full quart low... The bike didn’t show any signs of being low on oil and no damage was done.

When I took my bike to an independent shop for her 85k mile service, after doing all other services myself except one since my 15k mile service, she wouldn’t shift into 5th or 6th gear without a struggle after riding for several miles. A friend at work said it may be low on oil and he was right. I changed the oil and only 4 qts came out....
I’m not a mechanic and so this is just sharing my experience, so take it for what it’s worth.

·
Rider
1,160 Posts
29C2D7B5-6C9E-4292-A608-12829487B66B.png
The plate should be on left side in from of gas tank on neck area. It will be printed with a manufacture date
The engine oil dipstick is what im talking about it will either cover the hole completely or it will be a little smaller in diameter and part of the engine top of fill hole will be showing

·
Bronze member
4,127 Posts
This may sound like a dumb question but here’s what happened today.
I took my 19 Chieftain in for the 500 mile service. The dealer is about 50 miles away. When I got home I put the bike on the lift and installed the cat delete header pipe. I started the bike while on the lift to check for leaks and I could hear a lower engine noise. I got very concerned so I checked the oil level and found it about a inch below the add mark. The bike was up straight and had been running for about 2-5 minutes. The oil light never came on. Should I be concerned. I never went over 70 for the return trip.
Many many threads here on the same subject over the years. The oil checking process is a black art and most bikes will show low even though the level is fine. Many many cases of overfilled bikes due to this.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone. Especially Mr Xtreme! My blood pressure is a lot lower now.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So we are curious
Which oil quantity did you have
The 5 1/2 or 6 qts?
It was built on 9/18. It has the recessed dip stick so it must take 5.5 qts. I’m going to check the oil level again compared to my 17 chief. I’m assuming both should show the same level.

·
Rider
643 Posts
My bike has NEVER shown full on the dipstick. Neither have 99% of the post I’ve read on here. I use the Indian oil change kit which comes with 5 1/2 quarts, so unknown it’s good. Checking the oil in these bikes is a PITA!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked the oil in both bike cold and after idling for about 3-4 minutes Using the same dip stick. The 17 chief was about 1/2” above the add mark cold and about 1” above add warm. The chieftain was about 1-1/4” below add cold and about a 1//2” below add warm. Funny thing is the dealers invoice has me billed for 6 qts of 15/60 from drum. I am thinking he needs to get his oil meter calibrated. Both bikes were serviced about two years apart at the same dealer.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I feel like I'm beating this to death but I have another question. The invoice the dealer gave me states they used 15/60 oil. So I went on the Indian website to find more. The part number is 2880187. When I check it for compatibility. The website states I should use 20/40 semi synthetic. What's up with that?

·
Rider
1,160 Posts
I would check the dealers answer on that
I do believe though that the big twins are ok with that viscosity providing it meets or exceeds the specs

·
Rider
1,160 Posts
Wanted to add something else to the pot.
You could care Indian Customer care and ask them that same question as to why the dealer used this oul when it refers to this.
That phone call should give you peace of mind

·
Bronze member
4,127 Posts
I feel like I'm beating this to death but I have another question. The invoice the dealer gave me states they used 15/60 oil. So I went on the Indian website to find more. The part number is 2880187. When I check it for compatibility. The website states I should use 20/40 semi synthetic. What's up with that?
Indian approved 15W/60 over 3 years ago so your fine.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again for all the helpful reply's. I did call the dealer and they assured me it has the right amount of oil and that it is full synthetic. I have ordered 2 qts to keep on hand and will check it again this weekend as I really believe it should be at the minimum (add) level.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts