Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 2 new bikes, Roadmaster and Scout are in my garage for the winter. I don't have a battery tender, but the dealer showed me where the hook ups are on the 2 bikes. For now I just start the bikes and let them run for a few minutes every other weekend. It hasn't gotten too cold here in Kentucky yet, so I can just raise the garage door about 12" and let the bikes run. so, the question is, what is a good battery tender (brand, make, model, etc), and how long should it be hooked up to the bike? Should I hook it up to 1 bike and let it run for a week or 2 and then switch to the 2nd bike and so on, or should I buy 2 tenders? Thanks guys for your suggestions!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
So, my 2 new bikes, Roadmaster and Scout are in my garage for the winter. I don't have a battery tender, but the dealer showed me where the hook ups are on the 2 bikes. For now I just start the bikes and let them run for a few minutes every other weekend. It hasn't gotten too cold here in Kentucky yet, so I can just raise the garage door about 12" and let the bikes run. so, the question is, what is a good battery tender (brand, make, model, etc), and how long should it be hooked up to the bike? Should I hook it up to 1 bike and let it run for a week or 2 and then switch to the 2nd bike and so on, or should I buy 2 tenders? Thanks guys for your suggestions!
First, I suggest you stop running the bikes for just a few minutes. That action will deposit moisture into the engine and it's oil plus accelerate exhaust system corrosion. I suggest you add a fuel stabilizer to the gas to prevent any starting issues in the spring. As for the Battery Tender question, I don't like the brand as they have never made good on any warranty claims I've had in the past their customer service is horrible. I have been using a NOCO product called Genius Battery Chargers (google them) for my farm equipment in addition to my motorcycles. The one time I had a failure, they quickly replace the unit without a whimper. If you just need a unit for the bikes, then their G750 will do the trick. Personally, I prefer to spend a few bucks more to get the G1100 which offers additional charging "steps". You can get a lesson in smart chargers by visiting their website...and don't pay retail, there always seems to be a sale on these things. Oh, almost forgot, if you get a Genius charger and your bike is wired for a Battery Tender, you can buy an adapter plug that allows the use of the Battery Tender pigtail installed on your battery. Hope this helps.

·
Founding member
564 Posts
I have two battery tender Jr.'s. Never had a problem. As far as warranties, I wouldn't even bother to ever use one 'cause they're so cheap.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I have two battery tender Jr.'s. Never had a problem. As far as warranties, I wouldn't even bother to ever use one 'cause they're so cheap.
That's not the point I was making...for me, the high failure rates over the years have been costly in needless battery replacements and not to mention the time and labor involved when the failures are for large diesel Ag equipment batteries that were shorted by a battery tender failure. I've even had this happen on a Harley with a battery that was less than a year old. Agree, they are cheap...you get what you pay for. To each his own...buy what you want.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've bought and used the Deltran battery tenders for years without any problems with them. The tenders have extended battery lives and I know when I fire it up in the spring, it will be there. I would suggest buying two or get one of their two bank chargers for both bikes.

K-mart has them on sale now for $33 cheap insurance.

·
Registered
497 Posts
STOP STARTING THE BIKES - Like NP said, it ain't good and you'll end up with moisture in the oil and the motor. Ditto on the fuel stabilizer - google up "motorcycle winterize" there's a zillion places that tell you these things.

And get them up off the concrete if you can--lifts, wood, mats, whatever.

I've used Deltran tenders for years with zero problems--others mileage may vary.

I normally have one changer per bike, but I'm anal about things. One charger, swapped weekly would be fine.

Reactions: harry

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have three different brands but the genius is one of them and was highly recommended by a repair shop that works on everything. They are all $30 to $50 so a good investment. Put in good stabilizer and wait for warm weather to actually run it. I have had short life on motorcycle batteries that you run low and charge versus leave it charged up. The other One is a harley for the harley and the other was advanced auto. I agree don't start and idle the bikes in general for a long time. Maybe it is less a problem on fuel injection but for the four cyl bikes with carbs it can really create problems.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, thanks guys. I'll stop starting the bikes as suggested. Another question about Amps. I've looked at both the roadmaster manual and the scout manual. Both say:
"Following the charger manufacturer’s instructions, use a battery charger designed for use with 12-volt batteries. The charger should have a maximum charging rate of 1.8 amps. Charge the battery for approximately 10 hours at a rate of 1.8 amps. If you use a taper or trickle charger, it will take longer to charge the battery."

Now the battery tender Jr. for 12v charges at 0.750A. The battery tender plus 12v charges at 1.25A. and the Genius 750 charges at 750mA and the 1100 chages at 1.1A. Are there really a difference if I'm just using it as a "trickle" charger to maintain battery voltage? None of these work at 1.8 amps as per the Indian manuals.

·
Registered
504 Posts
ok, thanks guys. I'll stop starting the bikes as suggested. Another question about Amps. I've looked at both the roadmaster manual and the scout manual. Both say:
"Following the charger manufacturer’s instructions, use a battery charger designed for use with 12-volt batteries. The charger should have a maximum charging rate of 1.8 amps. Charge the battery for approximately 10 hours at a rate of 1.8 amps. If you use a taper or trickle charger, it will take longer to charge the battery."

Now the battery tender Jr. for 12v charges at 0.750A. The battery tender plus 12v charges at 1.25A. and the Genius 750 charges at 750mA and the 1100 chages at 1.1A. Are there really a difference if I'm just using it as a "trickle" charger to maintain battery voltage? None of these work at 1.8 amps as per the Indian manuals.
Wrexhavik, check out the Battery Minder. It will allow you to hook up to two batteries at the same time, the capacity is four batteries. You will need to purchase a "Y" connection at the time you get the minder. They claim it "desulfates" your batteries also. I believe it costs a little more, but you don't have to swap, or have two maintainers going at the same time. I got the Batteryminder model 1510(10 yr. warranty). Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,422 Posts
I have always used the cheap battery tenders out of Harbor Freight. They work. I have used them for years on my bikes and my deep cycle boat batteries. Keep in mind these are not for charging but to keep the battery topped off. Battery acid will eat away at the lead plates when the battery is in a discharged state. These units only put out at max a .25 amp current. I have mine connected to a 12 volt plug and I just use the 12 volt port on the fairing. Dean E

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I have always used the cheap battery tenders out of Harbor Freight. They work. I have used them for years on my bikes and my deep cycle boat batteries. Keep in mind these are not for charging but to keep the battery topped off. Battery acid will eat away at the lead plates when the battery is in a discharged state. These units only put out at max a .25 amp current. I have mine connected to a 12 volt plug and I just use the 12 volt port on the fairing. Dean E
I have used the Harbor Freight battery tenders for years also. The cables are so thin that they break easily. They are only $5-$10 and they work great.

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
I use a Battery Tender Jr on all my bikes. I bought two of them in '02 and they still work as good as new. Now I have one for each bike and always keep the bikes plugged in when not riding. You need nothing more than the Jr version as they are SUPPOSED to be used as a maintainer, not a charger. I have never had to install a new battery in any of my bikes including one BMW that I had for 7 years.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I have my garden tractor on a tender. I made some small wire ju mper cables and hook them from the garden tractor, and then to another motorcycle I have. You can do it with car batteries too. It works fine.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The manual is telling you the maximum amperage. You don't want to use any charger that exceeds 1.8 amps. If you exceed that you risk overheating the battery or otherwise damaging it. Any amperage below that is fine, just the lower amperage charger will take longer to reach full charge, which usually doesn't matter for winter storage. Make sure the charger will go into a "float" or "smart" mode though, or you risk overcharging.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I use the one specific to my battery manufacturer. I. Currently use motobatt batteries they have a 2 yr warranty. I am considering changing to antigravity batteries they have smaller form factors w higher cca

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I decided to order 2x Deltran Battery Tender Jr. One for the Roadmaster, one for the Scout. Should keep these babies charged and ready to roll once spring hit us. Thanks guys for all your comments/suggestions! I love all these friendly folks on these forums!

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
One thing about battery tenders that I have noticesd, is that they aren't any good for a completely, or nearly completely discharged battery. If th ebattery is dead, I hook a standard charger with 3-10 amps first. Then after the charge comes up, then I put the tender on.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts