Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a new ride. I always wanted an Indian so i began to search the internet. Found out Polaris bought Indian and the game was on! Lots of hours spent reviewing and finally got to see one in New York(Americade). The look and the good reviews definitely got my attention. Dealer was terrific. Glad to be part of history.

·
Registered
419 Posts
We were at the unveiling of the new Indian at Sturgis a couple years ago, heard the motor in the display tent that was pretty much it for convincing me.
Then that night as they brought them up on stage, and the bride said" your buying a Vintage" that was all it took, we were going to own one.
Waited until Colorado had a dealer, did a demo ride and the check book couldn't get out of my back pocket quick enough!:)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Had a sour experience with another motorcycle company, saw the ad (you have a Choice) went to the dealership and thru a leg over the Roadmaster, took it for a test ride and all the other fun stuff, and it was a done deal for me.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,060 Posts
First picture I saw of Chieftan, it got my attention. After the demo rides I was hooked.
Same with me for the scout. Loved the chief, but out of my price range. Wife loved the pics. After seeing me on one at the demo days, she said "you look sexy on that scout."
Nuff said. We were both sold.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Always wanted a "big" bike, and Harley was really the only game in town, so that's what I figured I'd end up with. Started out on a Honda Shadow 750. Figured after a few years I'd upgrade to the Harley. Then I saw video of the 2013 reveal in Sturgis. I had no idea Polaris had bought the brand and was reviving it. As soon as I saw pictures and videos of the Vintage, I knew that's what I wanted. Everyone's got a Harley - I wanted something different.

Then at this year's Sturgis, they revealed the Scout, and I thought, wow, that'll be way easier to convince the boss with the price range! When I showed her, she was like "I like the way the Vintage looks better. And if you add all the stuff on the Scout that you want, it's almost the price of a Vintage anyway, you should just get the Vintage." That's when the research began in earnest.

Then we both went to the Long Beach Progressive show and demoed the Vintage and we both loved it. We went inside the main show and they have a fully decked out Scout and she sat on that and laughed. She was like "after riding on the Vintage with you, there's no way I want to ride on the Scout with you."

Got the Vintage a few weeks later...

·
Registered
81 Posts
had a vtx 1800 but was looking for my retirement bike. was looking at a ultra classic, but when polaris came back out with Indian I knew what I wanted. And the 5 year warrenty helped alot in me buying the chieftain

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I wanted a new ride. I always wanted an Indian so i began to search the internet. Found out Polaris bought Indian and the game was on! Lots of hours spent reviewing and finally got to see one in New York(Americade). The look and the good reviews definitely got my attention. Dealer was terrific. Glad to be part of history.
Similar story. I was just about ready to buy a Rushmore Ultra Ltd and same thing. I too have always loved the Indian. I walked into the dealer and said I will take a Chieftain. They said I would have to wait two months for it to be ordered. I pulled out cash and owned the one they had in a crate an hour later. Besides that my dad rode dispatch on an Indian in WW2, I wish I had some of his old pictures. I have to see what my uncle has before he passes on.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I was waiting on an "ALL New" HD RoadGlide. Take a year off of production, rumors were it was going to be ground breaking touring bike. What they did was a Street Glide with a fix fairing. I knew right then I was done with HD. No more Twin Cam HD for me.

Started researching the Indian forums and took a test ride on a Chieftain. Tracked down a Red numbered edition and just love riding it, 5K miles, so far so good!

My influences are the stories my grandfather and his brother told about their younger days riding the old knuckleheads (grand father) and the 4 cylinder Indian (his brother). Always loved the look and the history of the Indian motorcycle. The racing success and the way HD was always playing catch up.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Back in the early seventies I road a Triumph and every HD on the road was fair game. I moved on to BMWs and HD was still fair game.

It wasn’t until my future wife (not knowing that at that time) after surviving cancer had a goal of owning an HD. So we went looking, found a used 1200 Custom HD that she could sit flat footed. I replaced the extremely loud mufflers with the Screaming Eagle mufflers “much quieter”. Then replaced the Ape hangers and seat – the bike sat for two years, she never got her license. In that two years I road that beast for almost 100 hundred torturous miles.

Sold it, HOORAY! Went looking for a comfortable ride that would accommodate my now wife. Even test road another big HD which was and is against my religion” Got to admit, it was a good looking bike and would have been acceptable. I dogged a bullet, the dealer jacked up the price.

Went to the 2014 West Springfield MC show at the Big E and saw my first Chieftain, that was the beginning. More importantly the Wife agreed, this was the one. After the test ride there was no doubt. The ride is like nothing I ever experienced, no shit! If you ride one you know what I mean.

Reactions: Burebista and 2022

·
Registered
672 Posts
I grew up in auburn indiana.being around all the classics as a kid gave me an appreciation for the unique( all though I didn't know it then, I thought everyone everywhere had classic car shows like it) so the average cars, trucks and motorcycles have always been just that to me, average.If there's a zillion of them around I don't notice or have much interest. That's why I never went HD, just too many for me. But when Polaris brought back Indian,it grabbed hold of that classic sole and I was hooked. I almost bought a vintage last year, probably would have if the nearest dealer wasn't four hours away.(at the time) but I got busy with work and reminded myself that I wasn't ever a big bike/bagger fan. I left it as a passing fancy until this past August when I saw the scout online.... I filled out the form on Indians web site and had a deposit down within a half hour. It kinda was a solemate moment, I'd been itching to get back on the last few years..... and then there she was.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've wanted to add to my collection of 1, but since I have a Wing I wanted some true American Iron, but not an HD, there's too many there who are just wanting to live an image. The Victory while visually appealing to some never moved me out of neutral then I saw one. The minute I saw the Indian I knew I wanted one the history was there, the mystique was there, the Worlds Fastest Indian drew me in closer. I started researching what Polaris was doing read tech articles, You Tube videos and reports, Jay Leno sealed the deal for me a collector like him and a rider as well his ride report impressed me. The rest is history and I am very happy at this point with my choice.

Reactions: Burebista and 2022

·
Registered
129 Posts
What influenced me? Simply the quality of the ride experience.
I've only been riding for two years and wanted to step up from my Suzuki VL800. So I travelled to the UK Motorcycle show in England in Nov'14 to see what was on offer. I drove back to Scotland convinced I was getting the Rushmore HD Ultra Low...but knowing I should test drive both the Chieftain and HD just to make sure. Within 24hrs I'd ridden both bikes and there was NO contest. Ride comfort and performance of the Chieftain was unquestionably superior. I ordered it that day and haven't looked back.
Looking forward to some mods, some nice kit, jackets etc and lots of ride time around Europe.
JH

·
Founding Member
675 Posts
Checked out the HD touring rigs, they didn't pass the sit test. Test rode 5 different Victorys, wanted to like them, but they felt too big (long?) for me. Dealer talked me into test riding a Chief Vintage. I wasn't a mile down the road and was thinking, damn, I'm in trouble - wife had been eyeballing the luggage on the Vics. Went back the next day and signed paperwork on new Vintage. The wife has warmed up to it nicely.

·
Registered
29 Posts
had a vtx 1800 but was looking for my retirement bike. was looking at a ultra classic, but when polaris came back out with Indian I knew what I wanted. And the 5 year warrenty helped alot in me buying the chieftain
Terry, did you buy in Madison, or Elgin ? Just wondering how they treated you. Thanks. flhman

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
After riding the Roadmaster, I compaired the HD Ultra Classic like straddling a iGloo cooler.
For me the ride, comfort, being very numbly, power then the looks.

·
Rider
412 Posts
When I was a young boy many yrs ago, I had two uncles that had Indians and would take me ride. I never forgot it and always wanted one. 50yrs later I'm in the market for a new motorcycle and here comes Indian with the new models. Went to the LoneStar Rally and test road them, came home and ordered me one. Great motorcycle.
2014 Chieftain #1544

·
Registered
11 Posts
was thinking of a Victory few years back, never got around to it, my friend last year asked me when i was getting my cruiser, I've owned sport bikes for over 12 years. i GOOGLED latest cruisers and saw that INDIAN was back!!! and that POLARIS is the ones making them. it was clearly a no brainer for me. wanted the VICTORY and the fact that POLARIS made them was the icing on the cake. SO i am patiently waiting on my 2015 CHIEFTAIN, currently being custom painted at ROCK COLLISION in ARKANSAS. I am dedicating the paint on the bike to a Close Friend or i should say BROTHER that had his 11 year son die over a year ago. will post pics as soon as its put together. CANT WAIT TO ride it nd love reading all the posts on here i find them very helpful i only hope that i can do the same for some of you..HAPPY RIDING!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts