Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the success of the Scout models and the new Challenger, Indian could appeal to an even greater populas by offering a stripped down Challenger along the same vein as the current Scout/Scout 60s.

These should appeal to those that may not be "touring" oriented and are looking for a more comfortable standard cruiser.
Buyers may be seeking a lighter, more manageable bike with a performance bent and a somewhat lower price. A bike that offers accessory seats, panniers and windshields along with "ergonomic" adjustment options like on the Scouts.

That would very much appeal to a rider as myself and maybe even my wife. We are baby boomers that load our bikes into our toy hauler to go to "out of state" rallies and scenic areas of this country to "ride".
Stripped or bare bones bikes are easier to load up and don't anywhere to volume of accuterments for days long excursions.

This is my opinion and what would appeal to me and quite a few other aging (but not dead yet) riders and possibly many, many others.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with you. A good friend of mine completely gave up riding because there isn't a lightweight cruiser that checks all his boxes. I've seen several people ask in this forum for something similar to what you are suggesting. Everyone seems to suggest a HEAVY bike not realizing that's a disqualifying characteristic for older boomers.

·
Bronze member
4,871 Posts
With the success of the Scout models and the new Challenger, Indian could appeal to an even greater populas by offering a stripped down Challenger along the same vein as the current Scout/Scout 60s.

Buyers may be seeking a lighter, more manageable bike with a performance bent and a somewhat lower price. A bike that offers accessory seats, panniers and windshields along with "ergonomic" adjustment options like on the Scouts.
As I understand it, the Scout 60 was introduced to get a motor inside the 1,000cc limit for some world markets. It wasn't stripped down much, just the 5th gear removal and different paint/chrome touches. Here in Oz it didn't sell well and is no longer offered - my Scout 60 was among the local sell-off in 2016. Perhaps the newer models that we don't see here are more stripped down and attract more buyers.

They could remove the bags from the Challenger, but what else is there to strip off to make it lighter or more manageable?

Accessory seat and windshields, and reduced/extended reach bars and pegs etc are also offered for the 111/116 bikes as well as the Scout. I imagine they will arrive for the Challenger with time.

·
Silver member
3,376 Posts
The wild fires in California would drown out the laughter. I'm in New Jersey and just chuckled.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
My Honda Shadow 750 Aero would have been a good touring bike if it had come with a 6th gear for long-distance cruising. As it was, with a 750cc engine and 5 gears, it would be screaming at 80mph+. With the hard bags that I added, and the windshield, I could comfortably cruise for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since they’re already out in front of HD with the new performance bagger trend...As much as I hate to say it but would love to see Indian introduce something to compete with HDs softail low rider and low rider s. Give people that like that “club style” look an alternative to HD. JMHO.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been hearing when a prod line backs up (Scout) it means another prod unit is in the making and rumor is its coming early 21 if its the 108 in a jumbo Scout Im in as long as its no more than 700lbs or so full o rocket fuel...I can feel my wallet turning around to run.

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,218 Posts
I love my Scout 60 as much today as I did ~3 years ago, the ownership experience has been fantastic for me and I really would like to buy another Indian but I'm still waiting for them to make something that appeals to me more than the Scouts. The FTR1200 came extremely close but still hasn't quite won me over, there are some local deals on 2019 FTR models that are really testing my restraint though. I'm not interested in baggers but I am very interested in the PowerPlus 108. Normally I'm not willing to spend more than $12,000 CAD cash on a motorcycle but if Indian made something the size of a softail, 650 lbs, no bags, no windshield, with a PowerPlus 108 in it... That might be exactly what it takes for me to finance a bike for the first time.

However, if they made an FTR 750 for $10,000 CAD I'd forget everything I said above and buy one tomorrow.

·
Registered
589 Posts
For me the perfect bike would be Indian Chief / Springfield that's liquid cooled (in other words, stripped down Challenger).

I love my Scout, but want something bigger.
Zee,

I am with you, love the Scout, but really waiting on the Challenger motor in a Springfield type setup, for me that would be awesome.

4T

·
Bronze member
2,924 Posts
What I would like to see is a cast iron cylinder, aluminum head,true valve in cylinder flat head ,you can make them run fast.
Have a friend with a 80 inch chief,that he built himself,it's hard to keep up with him.
Beautiful engine.
And you can work on it.

·
Silver member
4,209 Posts
For me the perfect bike would be Indian Chief / Springfield that's liquid cooled (in other words, stripped down Challenger).

I love my Scout, but want something bigger.
I agree, 108 in a Chief or Springfield would be cool.
No offense to the Challenger or 108 lovers, but the 108 engine looks like a compressor motor, it ain't pretty....just my opinion. That said, if it were to be fitted into a Vintage or Springfield frame, I might be tempted.

I realize some of you old geezers might be looking for a lighter bike, but the full size Indian Moto is heavy only if you gott'a pick it up after a tip over, wanna know how I know that? LOL. Personally I like physically big motorcycles. I'll be 70 yrs old in February and ride/handle my '15 Vintage just fine. Sure, it would be nice if it weighed 200 lbs lighter, but I don't see that happening any time soon. So he!! yeah, put that 108 in a Vintage :giggle:

·
Bronze member
2,924 Posts
Compressor moter
No offense to the Challenger or 108 lovers, but the 108 engine looks like a compressor motor, it ain't pretty....just my opinion. That said, if it were to be fitted into a Vintage or Springfield frame, I might be tempted.

I realize some of you old geezers might be looking for a lighter bike, but the full size Indian Moto is heavy only if you gott'a pick it up after a tip over, wanna know how I know that? LOL. Personally I like physically big motorcycles. I'll be 70 yrs old in February and ride/handle my '15 Vintage just fine. Sure, it would be nice if it weighed 200 lbs lighter, but I don't see that happening any time soon. So he!! yeah, put that 108 in a Vintage :giggle:

Compressor motor lol,nailed it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts