Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was a great weekend around here so I went for a little ride on the '16 Dark Horse. I realize 68 degrees isn't summertime heat but it's warm enough to know how hot the bike will run. I went 25 miles in mixed traffic before the first stop. When we stopped my friend on a 2013 HD 103ci asked me how hot my bike was. I put my hand on the rocker boxes, they were warm but I had no problem keeping my hand there as long as I wanted. I then put my hand on the jug fins, they were warmer for sure, but I could keep my hand on them for 10 seconds. I have owned more HD's than I care to count, 80ci, 88ci, several 96ci, one 110ci and two 103ci and I can tell you this, if I touched those engines after 5 minutes of riding I would have had blisters on my hands. My friend wouldn't dare touch his engine. Next ride I will have a thermo gun with me to see the exact difference.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even in the summer months riding in town I can still place my bare hand on the rear rocker arm cover without getting burned. It kind of blows the minds of my friends who ride Harleys. Yes there is quite a bit of heat rising off that rear jug but it's only noticeable when stopped or slow going. Those cooling fins are doing their job disappating heat.
That's great to know! I kept hearing how hot these Indians get and was concerned it would be HD hot all over again. Not even close is a very good thing.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Yeah, not bad this time of year Mike. However in the summer, your right inner thigh is a couple inches from the rear jug and when stopped your right calf is a couple inches from that seriously hot catalytic converter. [hungover]

·
Registered
452 Posts
It was a great weekend around here so I went for a little ride on the '16 Dark Horse. I realize 68 degrees isn't summertime heat but it's warm enough to know how hot the bike will run. I went 25 miles in mixed traffic before the first stop. When we stopped my friend on a 2013 HD 103ci asked me how hot my bike was. I put my hand on the rocker boxes, they were warm but I had no problem keeping my hand there as long as I wanted. I then put my hand on the jug fins, they were warmer for sure, but I could keep my hand on them for 10 seconds. I have owned more HD's than I care to count, 80ci, 88ci, several 96ci, one 110ci and two 103ci and I can tell you this, if I touched those engines after 5 minutes of riding I would have had blisters on my hands. My friend wouldn't dare touch his engine. Next ride I will have a thermo gun with me to see the exact difference.
You didn't have your hand on the rocker boxes, you had it on the decorative "outer" rocker box cover that is bolted to the actual rocker box underneath that cover. Three bolts attach that decorative cover to the rocker box. Next time after you are riding for awhile, put your finger on one of those three bolts. Those bolts will be hot enough that you will not be able to keep your finger there for as long as you want.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You didn't have your hand on the rocker boxes, you had it on the decorative "outer" rocker box cover that is bolted to the actual rocker box underneath that cover. Three bolts attach that decorative cover to the rocker box. Next time after you are riding for awhile, put your finger on one of those three bolts. Those bolts will be hot enough that you will not be able to keep your finger there for as long as you want.
Hey murf, fact stated and I will drink to that !!!!! RED IRON

·
Registered
723 Posts
No problems with the heat from the 111. I do still have scars from my old Road King on the inside of my right thigh from traffic congestion in Baltimore. I was in an area of Baltimore where no one wants to ever stop, complete with chalk outlines on the sidewalks. I did learn that the the best area of Baltimore is outside of Baltimore.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Have the Captain Itch Crotch Cooler and an Alaska Leathers longhaired sheepskin on my 2015, both really block the heat away from me on those long riding days of 100 + degrees here in the Texas Hill Country.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I noticed the heat today. The wife and I went to VA Beach from Ft. Eustis and back. It was in the upper 90's for the entire ride. Moving at 65mph on the highway, I could feel the heat, but it was tolerable. Chalk it up to 1811cc air cooled engine. However, when I had to slow down from highway speed to traffic speed, the heat radiating from the engine definitely jumped up, and it took 10 minutes or so for the jugs to cool down relative to the lower RPM. I would hate to feel it without the Cpt. Itch cooler that I have. The first mod is is definitely going to be the PCVX so I can dump the EPA tune and shed some heat, followed by the cat and pipes.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
That's great to know! I kept hearing how hot these Indians get and was concerned it would be HD hot all over again. Not even close is a very good thing.
Oh it's hot... but moving is tolerable. 90 degrees at a stop light is where it gets bad. At 70 degrees it's kind of nice.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Are there any concerns about the Captain Itch crotch coolers trapping heat around the rear cylinder?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
That is what I would be more concerned about.
Well, I went outside after I had parked the bike for an hour, and the rear cylinder did not feel any hotter than the front cylinder, and this was after going to VA beach and back. I am going to obtain an infrared thermometer to do some measurements.

Reactions: sidecarsam

·
Bronze member
1,959 Posts
Try that on a 98° day here in Fl. and get back to us with the results. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Even in the summer months riding in town I can still place my bare hand on the rear rocker arm cover without getting burned. It kind of blows the minds of my friends who ride Harleys. Yes there is quite a bit of heat rising off that rear jug but it's only noticeable when stopped or slow going. Those cooling fins are doing their job disappating heat.
Don't make a mistake and touch one of the bolts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts