Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the part # for the starter motor is the same from 2014 to 2019, then for 2020 models it has a new part # but all the other components for the starter drive remain the same, can a 2020 starter be used in a 2015, visually the motor looks the same, does it have higher torque ? What was changed ? Is there a Indian Victory technician that knows ?
Thanks in advance
Howard

·
Silver member
5,037 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I would venture to guess two things.

One, Indian changed manufacturers, thus changing the part #.

Two, which I think is more likely. Indian may have beefed up the starter slightly on the new ones since they have several models with the 116 from the factory. One of the main complaints with the 116 BB kits was the starter wearing out or struggling a little on start-up. So the new starters are likely a little more heavy duty so they just put the same thing in all models...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know for sure, but I would venture to guess two things.

One, Indian changed manufacturers, thus changing the part #.

Two, which I think is more likely. Indian may have beefed up the starter slightly on the new ones since they have several models with the 116 from the factory. One of the main complaints with the 116 BB kits was the starter wearing out or struggling a little on start-up. So the new starters are likely a little more heavy duty so they just put the same thing in all models...
I have a 116 in my 2015 RM, and I'm on my 3rd starter motor, I have heard that a few people with 116's have had the gears in the engines break when going to start there bikes I figure a stronger or higher torque starter motor may cause that to occur or increase the chances of it happening then it gets expensive, the 2020 starter motor was a idea I was throwing around as there are no high torque or stronger starter motors out there for the bike so I guess for now I will run a factory style starter and hope nothing fails on the inside. I love the 116 but they eat starter motors, I was trying to find a better solution and that's why I was asking about the 2020 starter motor further reading I've done found that the 2020 116 does not have 11:1 compression like the previous big bore kits, the extra high compression is why it is going through starters.

·
Bronze member
4,152 Posts
I have a 116 in my 2015 RM, and I'm on my 3rd starter motor, I have heard that a few people with 116's have had the gears in the engines break when going to start there bikes I figure a stronger or higher torque starter motor may cause that to occur or increase the chances of it happening then it gets expensive, the 2020 starter motor was a idea I was throwing around as there are no high torque or stronger starter motors out there for the bike so I guess for now I will run a factory style starter and hope nothing fails on the inside. I love the 116 but they eat starter motors, I was trying to find a better solution and that's why I was asking about the 2020 starter motor further reading I've done found that the 2020 116 does not have 11:1 compression like the previous big bore kits, the extra high compression is why it is going through starters.
The Stock 116 do have a 11:1 compression ratio. They just don’t have the cams.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Stock 116 do have a 11:1 compression ratio. They just don’t have the cams.
The new 116's are 9.5 to 1 I was told by a Indian Rep when my dealer reopened and they do not have the Corrilo connecting rods in them either and when you get the cams done which is stage 2 you get cams very similar to the stage 2 cams in the 111, not the same

·
Bronze member
4,152 Posts
The new 116's are 9.5 to 1 I was told by a Indian Rep when my dealer reopened and they do not have the Corrilo connecting rods in them either and when you get the cams done which is stage 2 you get cams very similar to the stage 2 cams in the 111, not the same
Nope sorry to inform you your Indian rep is wrong. All the factory variants of the stock 116 show 11:1 compression ratio.

Also in 2019 all the 111’s were upgraded with the stage 3 valve springs and Carrillo rods on the 2020 111’s. All the 2020 and a later BBK kits do not come with con rods or valve springs because the stock 111 already have them.

F9248F50-EBDD-4C6A-91BD-E45B285A7D6C.png

·
Bronze member
2,251 Posts
Nope sorry to inform you your Indian rep is wrong. All the factory variants of the stock 116 show 11:1 compression ratio.

Also in 2019 all the 111’s were upgraded with the stage 3 valve springs and Carrillo rods on the 2020 111’s. All the 2020 and a later BBK kits do not come with con rods or valve springs because the stock 111 already have them.

View attachment 597707
only "small correction":

2020 has different conrods yes ... but they are NOT the billet (carrillo made) conrods.
See parts catalog and price!
(rumor says they ARE stronger than the old TS111 rods and presumably good for 175hp)

I have listed all the parts numbers here:

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
4,152 Posts
only "small correction":

2020 has different conrods yes ... but they are NOT the billet (carrillo made) conrods.
See parts catalog and price!
(rumor says they ARE stronger than the old TS111 rods and presumably good for 175hp)

I have listed all the parts numbers here:

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

True

1 - 11 of 11 Posts