Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the demo Indian bikes become demo models at dealerships and then sold later at a discount? Or what do they do with them? Looks like they have over a hundred demo bikes at Sturgis, maybe more.
<iframe width='560' height='315' src='//www.youtube.com/embed/D1OCAbr4ryY' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They're destroyed. Not just taken apart, either. They're fed through a shredder for security purposes....by the government. You know, the men in the dark suits. Can't have the technology fall into the wrong hands. Like those Russian guys. Or the Chinese. Or North Koreans. (Or whoever we're fighting these days.)
I've probably said too much already.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bet they end up on the demo trucks that are making the tour around the country. I herad they have a a few demo trucks

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Demo bikes will board tractor trailers and find dealer Parking lots where they will invite the public to ride them

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds right. Sell them off to dealers as demo's for a cheaper price. But not totally sure. Nice video by the way.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
11868 said:
That sounds right. Sell them off to dealers as demo's for a cheaper price. But not totally sure. Nice video by the way.
ng s

They are not being sold.

Just as Victory has a Demo fleet that travels so will Indian.

When the 2015 's come out they will be sold and the new bikes will take their place on the demo tractor trailers

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10966 said:
They're destroyed. Not just taken apart, either. They're fed through a shredder for security purposes....by the government. You know, the men in the dark suits. Can't have the technology fall into the wrong hands. Like those Russian guys. Or the Chinese. Or North Koreans. (Or whoever we're fighting these days.)
I've probably said too much already.
I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure.
This thread will self destruct in 1 minute.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They do eventually find their way to a dealers floor after the demo tours are finshed. As Trek said at that point the demo trucks are replenished with the next model yr. bikes. The mystery is what dealers end up with them and do they sell them as in house demos or admit that they were on the tour trucks. Big difference in the stress put on a demo tour bike to that of an in house let you ride it around the block unit.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1317 said:
Big difference in the stress put on a demo tour bike to that of an in house let you ride it around the block unit.
There is? I 'borrowed' the salesmans '13 XCT demo while he was gone to the dealer show in DC. I put 50+ miles on it and I WASN'T gentle. A demo bike is a demo bike. Rarely are they ridden as the new owner would. They're ridden like you're never going to have to deal with maintenance.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10966 said:
There is? I 'borrowed' the salesmans '13 XCT demo while he was gone to the dealer show in DC. I put 50+ miles on it and I WASN'T gentle. A demo bike is a demo bike. Rarely are they ridden as the new owner would. They're ridden like you're never going to have to deal with maintenance.

Wow I never understood beating up a machine for no good reason.

I never abuse rented cars or demo bikes.

I have known people who did but never related to the thought process.

I have to say I am rough on my vehicles but always respect other peoples property.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My concern with a demo bike is not so much the rider who hammers it wide open it's the inexperienced riders who don't shift properly, burning the clutch plates by riding the clutch, you won't blow them up with the factory rev limiter it's the slow, rough shifts, scrapes and nicks with various folks getting on and off.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
937 said:
Wow I never understood beating up a machine for no good reason.

I never abuse rented cars or demo bikes.

I have known people who did but never related to the thought process.

I have to say I am rough on my vehicles but always respect other peoples property.
You misunderstand me, Trek. I didn't abuse it or beat on it by any means but I didn't baby it, either. I rode it like I ride my own bike (and I plan to get 100k out of it at the very least). I'm just saying that I've seen plenty of riders who demo bikes and DO beat the snot out of them. No warm up, full throttle and red line every time, try to pop wheelies (or stoppies on crotch rockets), etc. I'm not gentle on anything I ride or drive but again, that doesn't mean I abuse them. I just ride/drive them as they were meant to be ridden/driven.
Sorry to give you the wrong impression.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Given the right price, a full factory warranty from the day I take delivery and a free 4 year extended warranty I would have no problem buying a demo bike.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The answer is on the Indian Motorcycle webpage:

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/demo-tour

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought a demo xc, and except for some scratches on the bags, And some new found ratlles from the timing chains it has been solid for 7500 miles.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The demos have no VINs, when their done touring the country, They'll be destroyed.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
9597 said:
The demos have no VINs, when their done touring the country, They'll be destroyed.
Thats interesting, I'll have to take a look next week at the demo. Sounds like they will either be destroyed or torn down for evaluation much as they would a test vehicle.

That's actually quite inventive on Polaris' part, get end users to torture test the product. I may need to investigate the rev limiter a few times ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
9597 said:

Are you sure of this because a very particularly numbered 2012 Ness Vision that I know was on the Victory demo tour later showed up in the hands of a member of this site purchased as a demonstrator.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1317 said:

Are you sure of this because a very particularly numbered 2012 Ness Vision that I know was on the Victory demo tour later showed up in the hands of a member of this site perchased as a demonstrator.  
Victory demo bikes did all seem to have VIN numbers, this sounds like its unique to the Indians. I don't think they have started production of retail bikes at the factory yet so it sounds like these are all classified as pre production, not for sale which. Believers the only way they can be put on the road without a VIN. I also don't know how they would be registered but I imagine manufacturer plates have different rules.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts