Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Springfield Darkhorse
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2020 Indian Springfield Darkhorse (Matte White) and I'm wondering what everyone uses to wash their bike. I've been using something something I pickedup at the dealer.. It's orange and I believe it's called Duckey or something like that? Thinking about giving it a good wash with soap and water but again just want to hear what peeps typically use.
thanks,

·
Registered
2018 Indian Motorcycle Scout Bobber Star Silver Smoke
219 Posts
Meguiar's Motorcycle EZ Clean works great, but it's pricey. Got a 5-litre bottle of Muc-Off Motorcycle cleaner for $25 on Woot, and it works just as well (biodegradable, safe for carbon fibre). Spray on, rinse off, no spots (though my bike is matte silver, so spotting isn't as likely as on gloss paints)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
234 Posts
My bike generally doesn't need a full wash with the hose, wash bucket & soap, brush, etc. I will put my bike on my Sears jack and raise it just enough so it is upright. Then while sitting on my little wheeled stool I can go all around my bike with a very damp microfiber cloth. I do one section at a time like the left half of the fairing, front fender,
left half of the headlight area, etc. and the damp microfiber cloth removes the dust and the bugs (a few of them may need a good rubbing) and then that area gets a light rubbing/buffing with a dry microfiber cloth. I save an old cloth to use on the wheels, underside of the mufflers, etc. I do the whole bike that way.

On about the 3rd or 4th cleaning when I'm done with my damp cloth and my dry cloth I will again go over the whole bike with a microfiber cloth and Lucas Spray mist. And at times, like when my bike has some dust and not too many bugs I may use the Lucas Spray Mist & microfiber cloth instead of a damp cloth and then most of the time no further wiping is needed.

When the motor area is dirty enough to need cleaning I use S100. I spray the engine with it and almost immediately rinse it off with a hose. Do NOT let S100 dry. And you can use S100 anywhere. Years ago I saw a promotional video for S100. The guy sprayed down the ENTIRE bike, even the seat LOL and then started hosing it off.

·
Registered
Thunder Black non ABS Indian Scout Bobber 20
127 Posts
I just clean the scout with a dust cloth and if any bug debris I use a spray bottle with Meguiars gold class car wash . Wipe it down, Then rinse with a spray bottle of water . Scout is pretty easy to clean without hosing it down .

·
Premium Member
2020 Jack Daniels Springfield Darkhorse
13 Posts
I have 2020 Indian Springfield Darkhorse (Matte White) and I'm wondering what everyone uses to wash their bike. I've been using something something I pickedup at the dealer.. It's orange and I believe it's called Duckey or something like that? Thinking about giving it a good wash with soap and water but again just want to hear what peeps typically use.
thanks,
I used Ducky with my bike as well in between washes and it did great. When washing, I used baby shampoo since I was paranoid about my black Matt finish. When I traded my 2016 darkhorse in it did not have any flaws in the paint at all. For the chrome and windscreen I used Texas 2 step.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,815 Posts
Turtle Zip Wax car soap in a dishpan of water and an old tee shirt rag. I set my garden hose nozzle to a fine mist spray for rinsing the bike off. I'm careful not to get the switches or the touch screen wet due to all the electronics involved on my Challenger. After rinsing I used a couple of dry tee shirt rags to wipe away any water spots. The bike always comes out looking nice after washing this way.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,437 Posts
I haven't always heard to never use dish detergents. Since then I've only read article that have confirmed that opinion such as these

I am not a scientist / chemist so I am not qualified to refute these reports so I accept them at face value. However, if you want to continue to use dish soap I'm also not going to try and change your mind about it either; of course unless you are in fact one of the aforementioned scientist / chemist and have empirical data to back up your claim you're not going to change my mind either ;)

I personally use a mid tier automotive soap; not the really cheap stuff but not the really expensive stuff either. Right now I'm using Blue Coral soap I picked up at Wally World. But I wouldn't go out of my way to find it if other similar soap is available instead.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use Mequires Gold car wash. It has a bit of wax in it. Use a bucket and clean car wash mit. I then reverse the hose on my shop vac and blow off the rinse water . Great for around the engine and hard to reach places. Then use a micro soft rag to finish the job. No water dripping when done.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I made a video washing my bike because, why not.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Haven’t washed bike in years.. Everytime I ride I use a detailer and a soft cloth to wipe down the bike. I even take detailer with me and wipe down on trips.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte products are specifically formulated for matte paint. No gloss enhancers and has UV blockers to help prevent sun fading that is so likely with matte paint. Just got a matte bike and started using the Meticulous Matte products so I can't give much of a long term review, but the bike looks great when washed with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's quite easy to mess up matte paint, so any heavy detergent or 'shiny' stuff is usually not recommended. I always use specific soap for matte paints and after almost 4 years/20k miles my bike is still in showroom condition.

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
2016 Chief DH Stage II
792 Posts
i haven't washed mine since i bought it. i just wipe it down with Wizard's Matte Detailer and call it a day. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 30 Posts