Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i seem to have a false neutral every now and then on my 2018 Scout. What gear do you try to go into once that happens? I always try 6 but get grinding. Should I go back to 5?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does it show N on your instrument cluster? If you let out the clutch, does it behave as if it's in neutral?

If so, I'd say you need to slow down or stop and try going into 1st or 2nd.

I'd also say you need a trip back to the dealer.

·
Bronze member
1,179 Posts
False neutrals are inherent to sequential gear boxes, it happens, just try to be more deliberate when shifting from 5th to 6th and don't worry about it too much when it happens. Just blip the throttle, shift into 6th, cringe, and carry on.

Reactions: DFW_ScoutKev

·
Bronze member
1,794 Posts
It’s happened to me on my Scout a second and third time, and while the first time was basically noiseless the others clattered.

All three times I would’ve thought I was shifting from 4th to 5th gear, but since it seems to happen to everyone else going from 5th to 6th maybe that’s what it was.

That last time was so noisy I pulled the clutch in and came to a stop before I shifted all the way down into first gear.

I don’t recall my Yamaha doing anything like this. Not sure about the transmission type but maybe it was “constant mesh”. edited: I guess the Scout is synchromesh, or can prevent miss matched speed shifts...? I defer to what DrShifty says later on, Scout constant mesh too.
I really don’t know transmissions.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I followed this video to adjust my cable. I took all the slack out of it. In doing so I didn’t cause any issues correct? I didn’t do anything that could cause the clutch to slip right?

·
Bronze member
1,794 Posts
I followed this video to adjust my cable. I took all the slack out of it. In doing so I didn’t cause any issues correct? I didn’t do anything that could cause the clutch to slip right?

Hmmmmm. When I did mine I left a dime width between the lever and the control mount.
Lever at the other end moves immediately when pulling the handle lever.

Never had clutch drag with handle pulled all the way in, And to make a wild guess I would say there’s about a half inch between the grip and the lever before it starts to pull.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a video of my gap but it won’t allow it to post. Best I can do is a couple screen shots

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Max slack
E8C9361C-D7C2-48F8-B7BC-048EA821721E.png

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zero slack point
01C4E49A-B3E5-4015-B464-96416DA3C209.png

·
Bronze member
1,794 Posts
To be honest I don’t know if you can really measure it that way on the cable side, Because if you’re actually pulling on the cable to reveal that gap I’m thinking maybe the cable sheathing itself is just giving way.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
B83A7955-039D-4DCE-8D09-EA4DEEADCAC0.jpeg
To be honest I don’t know if you can really measure it that way on the cable side, Because if you’re actually pulling on the cable to reveal that gap I’m thinking maybe the cable sheathing itself is just giving way.
Is this where I should be measuring?

·
Bronze member
1,794 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
i seem to have a false neutral every now and then on my 2018 Scout. What gear do you try to go into once that happens? I always try 6 but get grinding. Should I go back to 5?
I've never gotten false neutrals in 4-5 or 5-6 while down shifting. It's always been upshifting. I pull in the clutch and try up agai. If that doesn't work, only then I downshift and upshift again. It remains to be seen if I'll get them again. I do plan on getting the Gman shifter bushing.

FWIW - I was getting real neutrals going from 3 - 2. It turned out to be a seized bearing. I got the bike back last weekend (08/03/19) and the problem seems resolved. (Bike was left at dealer on 12/23/18)

·
Bronze member
1,794 Posts
How does that gap look?
IS_clutch_lever_adjustment-gap.jpg

Not good flash photo before sunrise.
edit: I knew I would post this without saying something important about it!
That gap picture was done by pulling on the lever without applying force, otherwise it just looks like the ungapped picture.

When uploading this I found another pair I already did another time for comparison to how I found it to be set originally.
clutch adjustment.jpg

·
Registered
968 Posts
I got a false neutral on my 2018 Scout once between 1st and 2nd. Someone on here told me to keep a little preload on the shifter by slightly applying pressure on it with my boot toe. I tried it and never had another false neutral between any gear after that.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not sure if this helps....but from the service manual.

I was told this gap is about the width of a credit card, I cannot find the source of said credit card reference....FWIW.

I wonder if a spark plug gap tool would help??

upload_2019-8-12_10-31-54.png

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm right there with you on this issue. I have found false neutrals between a few gears but most often and the scarisest is when it happens between 5th-6th gears. Which gear to slip into would depend on the current rpm's. I have been more diligent in rider performance (crisper shifting) and have found that it has helped. Shortly after purchase (2018 scout bobber) it first happened, I mentioned it to the service technicians at my local dealership and they just blew me off. My advice, check fluid levels and all connection points of the clutch, throttle, anything related to gear shifting/selection. Then really try to be in tune with the rpm's output reading to when you are looking to shift into other gears. I'm a newer rider so I chalked most of the problems to sloppy control usage on my part. Also of note, I chose to rewrite or flash my CPU unit after a number of modifications, this ultimately removed any factory limitations which in my situation may also be a contributing factor on clutch slippage. Best of luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ive been dealing with this myself, sometimes it was often and really frustrating. What I have done to minimize it, which it has, is to change my shoes so that I have a firm shoe to shift with, and I ditched my full finger gloves. These 2 changes, along with firm shifting, have made me learn how this box likes to be treated. It has a learning curve, which is weird, but I have minimized the false neutrals. BTW I took it to the dealer and they just adjusted my clutch and said it was fine. They won't help, unless its obvious and happening every time.

My false neutrals happen between 4-5 but more commonly 5-6. Never had a problem or false neutral in any other gear.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
View attachment 515826
Not good flash photo before sunrise.
edit: I knew I would post this without saying something important about it!
That gap picture was done by pulling on the lever without applying force, otherwise it just looks like the ungapped picture.

When uploading this I found another pair I already did another time for comparison to how I found it to be set originally.
View attachment 515828

So I’m guessing by your post that it should be a dime?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts