Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2020 Indian Challenger base model. You always hear stories that you shouldn't buy a first year model of anything, whether it be a car or motorcycle. Well screw it, I absolutely fell in love with the power of the new Powerplus engine. Anyway, previous to buying my Challenger, I test drove a 2020 Harley 114 Breakout, really liked it and nearly bought it. But Harley dealer really was not negotiable, and after installing a faring would have been around the same price if not more than my Challenger. Plus the Challenger completely blew the doors off the Harley 114 engine, performance wise. I think I made the right decision, and so does my wife.

·
Bronze member
2,245 Posts
I did the same with the ftr. No issues so far.

My girlfriends parents both have breakouts. One is a plain one. The other a cvo. They are both regretting buying them, since they sold victories to buy them.

They only bought them because it was the translation period from victory to Indian

I took a challenger out for a spin a few months ago. You absolutely made the right choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
Great choice. Last year when I was buying a new motorcycle I test rode the Chieftain, a BMW K1600B and several HD touring models.

Out of the three brands the BMW was the best in performance. However for me, I did not love the looks.

I love the look and feel of American V-twins and I decided with the Chieftain. I am completely happy with my purchase.

If the Challenger had been out I would have bought it and it will be my next motorcycle.

Congratulations,

Phil

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
I was shopping for bikes when the scout was first released. I fell in love with the bike, and although I intended to test ride a couple different ones, tested the scout first.

Nothing else would do after that. First year bike, trouble free 4 years.

·
Rider
878 Posts
Chief, Scout and a Triumph Bonneville in 2015. All fantastic bikes in different ways. Initially I wanted a Scout, but having ridden a Thunderstroke bike, I fell in love. So comfortable, and all the power and handling I can use (and then some) on rural British roads. I've ended up with a Chief Classic and a Bonnie. Two out of three ain't bad.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,226 Posts
This goes back to 2015 before I bought that Chieftain. I demoed a Can Am Spyder F3 then I demoed a Harley Davidson Freewheeler trike before I demoed a Chieftain and decided I wasn't ready for 3 wheels yet. In fact after 5 riding seasons on the Chieftain I decided to downsize to a Scout instead of going to a trike as I'm still not quite ready for 3 wheels yet.

·
Registered
416 Posts
After many years of not riding (and missing it the last few years every single time I saw someone riding), I happened upon the Indian brand when I was researching. I liked that it was not the "big brand," and had a storied history going back 100+ years. That Indian was newly reborn, and proudly linked to its history, made it that much more appealing. I chose the Scout because it was, to me, what a motorcycle should be: sleek, trim, unburdened, quick and responsive, powerful, and damn good looking. Once I made the choice, I jumped in with both feet, got my bike delivered in November and got some great riding in, before the pandemic... and I am looking forward to many more miles on a great bike made by a great brand. And the sooner the better!

Congratulations on your bike!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I started on a 2005 Honda Shadow 750 Aero. I told my wife that, after adding hard bags, heated grips, heated seat, highway bars, plug to charge the phone while using it for music and maps, etc...that the next bike that I bought would be a touring bike. I also promised myself that I would not buy a bigger bike until I could throw the Shadow around with impunity. Well, I rode that Shadow for seven years, and it wasn't until I was taking the class to become certified as a Ridercoach that I discovered that I was comfortable enough on my Shadow that none of the exercises phased me.

So, in 2017 I began researching the big touring bikes. I had a few on my list: Honda Goldwing/F6B, H-D Street Glide/Electra Glide/Road Glide, BMW K1600T. I did not like the "sport touring" or ADV bikes, and most of them were too tall for me anyway.

I had always liked the Indian bikes, and I knew that they had some new models out, but I had not been to the showroom yet as I was still unsure if I wanted to take on the expense of a new bike and I did not want to waste the salesman's time. Anyway, the wife and I were out running errands one day, and "happened" to drive by the local Indian Dealer...even though it was in the opposite direction of home, lol! We walked in to IM of SEVA, and they made us feel at home. My wife saw our Willow Green and Ivory Cream Roadmaster on the sales floor, all hooked up to a charger so they could demonstrate the "all new" Ride Command, and she fell in love with the bike. As it was raining, they invited us to come back when the weather was nice, and I could take a test ride.

So, we went back the following Saturday and went on a ride. After that, I did not need to test ride anything else.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I bought both my Indians without a test ride, the first was a show bike on the stand at the biggest UK bike show, I was sold on the looks alone it nagged at me for a few weeks and I had to buy it. I ran it alongside my HD for 18 months and there was no comparison and the HD was moved on.

Then last year a friend of a friend took seriously ill ending his biking career, he had a Roadmaster he needed to move on and the deal was too good to miss, I had never ridden one nor did I test ride it but i bought it anyway, again I have no regrets.

I also bought a BMW F800GSA new a few years ago without test ride, I had owned the 1150 GSA, 1200GSA, F800GS and F650GS and loved them all; big mistake, the F800GSA was an awful bike, seat like a plank and you get battered by the wind and the noise was deafening, despite several screen changes I could not get on with it and had to move it on at a huge loss a few months later, that's one I should have test rode!

You win some you lose some, but really the sensible thing is to always test ride a range of bikes in the style you are interested in, i'm not a badge snob but since moving from HD to Indian, I doubt I would go back to HD if I was in the market for another cruiser.

Some times common sense just goes out the window where bikes are concerned!

·
Rider
1,069 Posts
Didnt test ride mine, bought it over the phone in Columbus Ohio, I live in Montana, Haul Bikes shipped it to Sturgis, then I took delivery there.

2016 Chieftain, 2,400 miles, in like new condition, stock.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
When Victory shut down I knew I had to move on before I lost a ton of money on my bike. The Vision I had was approaching 50,000 miles.

Of course, I did some soul searching regarding Harley. I had been burned and had sworn I'd never go back.

I rode the 2018 Road glide special right before buying a Chieftain. Short story-- it was just terrible. Worst suspension I have ever been on. Soft up front and rock hard in back.

I also tried the new Goldwing. What cheap plastic parts! It was hard to get past the 1979 star wars themed dash. The cheesy plastic killed it....that, and the dealer couldn't give these bikes away. The 2018's were still sitting there last fall, unsold.

I rode the Yamaha Eluder. Big, heavy, cumbersome and more cheesy plastic. Over the top chrome-covered plastic bits. All kinds of issues were cropping up, so that killed that bike for me.

Own a beautiful Chieftain and it is sitting parked with 16,000 miles and thousands of dollars in upgrades....and it's now for sale.

I rode a Scout! What a bike. Bought a 2017 for my wife and had to ride it home for her.
After taking out an FTR and a Challenger for an hour each, I was drooling over those engines. My Chieftain felt horrible compared to the Challenger.

I bought a 2015 Scout with 3000 miles for $5000.

I absolutely love this bike. Yeah, I wish it was taller, but the versatility is unmatched.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Own a 2016 Scout Sixty (first year for the 60).

Before that I test-road a Harley 883. It felt like it died at highway speeds. Could have been they were trying to keep that classic HD rumble in too small a platform. It just felt like it was completely revved out at highway speeds and was going to blow up. Either way, I was not a fan and super disappointed because I loved the look of it.

Yamaha Bolt. Felt a lot better at highway speed. Handled great. Almost bought one.

Also test-road a used Kawasaki Mean Streak. Powerful bike, sounded good, but I wasn't a fan of the drive shaft. Plus the looks just weren't entirely there for me.

Then they came out with the Scout Sixty and I completely forgot about the Yamaha Bolt. The price was more appealing than the Scout, there was less chrome, and the engine was still powerful enough for highway use.

Only thing I'll say about a first run is this: if they change anything after just one production year cough*brakedesign*cough it's much harder to find a cheaper aftermarket alternative.

Reactions: Kost

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had rode a few BMW's and really like everything about them. I just couldn't get behind it at this point in my life. maybe next chapter. tech power handling everything is amazing. the look is super busy and riding position I don't want yet.
So I was shopping the street glide special hard. test road it. was all in. and I started reading about the chieftain... comparisons and such and it seemed like the better choice. then when I rode it it was done. the thing was better than advertised and the street glide wasn't close. I came from Yamaha and wanted a Harley but always have been non bias to bikes so the name Harley, although I wanted to try Harley.... didn't hold weight. this thing kills it. and riding with Harleys my bike stands out. out performs and is the head turner every time. choice well made

·
Registered
83 Posts
My wife and I started looking for a bike even before we got married - 17 years ago. Over the years I rode some customs and several HDs. I looked at Indians but they were out of my price range. Never pulled the trigger on a bike for various reasons ($, kid, job, etc). Was in CIO's office and commented on an Indian tin sign he had. That's when I learned about Polaris and affordability. Got back to my desk, searched the internets a bit. Found the perfect one in OKC. Sent wife a pic. She replied "I love it!" Bought it without riding it. Zero regrets.

·
Registered
853 Posts
...So I was shopping the street glide special hard... although I wanted to try Harley.... didn't hold weight. this thing kills it. and riding with Harleys my bike stands out. out performs and is the head turner every time. choice well made
I've got a savings plan in place and won't be buying for a while, but this is exactly what I discovered. I just couldn't bring myself to settle for the Street Glide - too many great features on the Chieftain and I'm not enamored enough with the HD name to overlook them. To me, it's worth it to save my pennies and get the bike I really want rather than getting a used SG that just doesn't live up to my expectations.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts