Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1501 - 1520 of 1524 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm going to ride to Hollister,CA. to meet some old friends. We are then going to ride to Cater lake and Klamath falls. So I added a aftermarket your pack. It worked out great. 2x2 quick disconnect, nasty hog tour pack.
Hike down in the crater if you have time and haven’t done so before, the clarity of the water is unreal and can’t be fully appreciated from the rim. I swam in it briefly last time I was there (many years ago), and it got cold 3 feet under water and below, but so worth it.

·
Rider
1,255 Posts
I got a new to me Springfield this weekend! I wrecked my first one, 2016, after putting about 15k miles in less than 18 months, I hit a deer going 70mph. Totaled...

Well I found another 2016, identical, less than 7k miles! Riding north Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee area. Loving it!! Below are before and after pics.

View attachment 599876 View attachment 599877
Holy moly glad you’re ok nice replacement

·
Registered
129 Posts
Recently changed to a Klockerks Klassic front fender, new tires (Michelin Commander IIs), Indian 19" wheel and stage 1 air intake.

·
Bronze member
2,643 Posts
That windscreen looks identical to mine and is also what came standard on my bike from the factory.And I assume it's a quick release like mine is,correct??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is it a 14” freedom shield? The 16” freedom that I bought is 4” taller than the 14” oem shield which makes it to high.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looks really good. What windshield is that?
Thanks! Its a Freedom Shield, light smoke. They make them to fit stock hardware, including quick release...very good products, more solid than stock and a slight flare reduces buffeting, i like some wind hitting my helmet so I went with a 12"

·
Registered
829 Posts
I had a oil leak, couple drips a day for about a week. Ended up being the oil sending unit, a $30 part. Had my buddy, who used to be the service department manager at a local Indian dealership, change it out and change the oil/filter. He used Motul 20/50. I’m going back to 20/50. The last change was by the dealership and they switched to 15/60. I was coming up a quart low at about 2,000 miles. Never had that issue before.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I rode about seventy city miles today. I have decided that an air horn and additional brake lights might save my butt in the future.
On an unrelated note I passed by some kind of Trump rally. It wasn’t intentional. I had no clue it was going on. The crowd was very large for the area and about a mile down the same road the police must have had every car available in the area staged. They must be expecting trouble. My Indian carried me away from that madness.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm going to ride to Hollister,CA. to meet some old friends. We are then going to ride to Cater lake and Klamath falls. So I added a aftermarket your pack. It worked out great. 2x2 quick disconnect, nasty hog tour pack.
How is the LTP case from Nasty Hog holding up and did you need to add any extra base plate when you mounted it to the 2X2 rack?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Last year, it was the the quick release HD ChiCom Tour-Pack. This year, figuring that masks seem to be all the rage, I opted to mask my Springfield with a Chieftain fairing. I designed it to install and remove nearly as quick as a face mask. This project was a bit of a leap of faith, but I've learned that every challenge is solvable. If Elon can build a car and a rocket, then launch the car into deep space, I can probably handle this. Conclusion: It's totally doable to mount a Chieftain fairing while retaining the Springfield classic mohawk nacelle. I love both platforms and now I can ride both in one. Chieftain mode is for long trips and Springfield for 1-3 hour wind-in-the-face romps.

I built the dash from all Polaris parts accept for the outer fairing. Ebay has the ChiCom knock-off version for a lot less $$$, so I thought I'd take the risk. They definitely made or stole a good mold. All the Polaris parts fit perfectly. I did have to find some nut plate sleeve inserts to mount the highway lights, so with a little JB weld, good to go. I used Cheapcycleparts.com to purchase most of the parts. Yes I hate giving China money, but Polaris got a lot more of it than they did on this project!

The dash is the 2016 version. The gauge cluster is cost prohibitive, but tank the Springfield tank gauges will remain. This is a convertible, not a conversion. I'm having my fabricator make a metal door with hinges. It'll be a glove box where my large iPhone can magnetically mount to provide my infotainment capabilities - Nav, music, phone, whatever. There will be no speakers in this. Stereos and motorcycles just never made any sense to me. I'm an audiophile and stereos on motorcycles are simply expensive ballast. Best to keep tunes in a full faced helmet. Even then, the sound competes with the noise, hence hearing aids before 60.

Realizing that I had to transition to the Chieftain bars, I opted for cooler than stock KST Apache 10" apes. This, in turn led to some edits that needed to be performed on these bars to be more palatable in the Springfield (non-fairing) mode, so I found someone willing to hack and bend them to my preferences.

This project is now rounding the final turn. I'm awaiting the extended front brake lines from Magnum and I'm soldering-on the quick disconnects for the highway lights and fairing blinkers. Also have a 14" recurved tinted windshield that I'm going to mount (somehow). Since the goal is to retain the Springfield nacelle, there will be no motor. The windscreen will be fixed, more or less. Not willing to prominently display mounting screws like the HD batwings, I'm going to try a combination of velcro and dense foam to wedge it snug between the dash and the outer fairing. This will make for some interesting road tests. Ha!

Attachments

1501 - 1520 of 1524 Posts