Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

What did you do to your scout today?

1M views 9K replies 961 participants last post by  Rogue Diesel 
#1 · (Edited)
finally got around to making a seat lanyard, ended up that when the seat is hanging it makes a good place to lay your tools while working with battery or making connections. also made these bungee spools for about 10 bucks. Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Wire
Automotive design Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

See less See more
#2 ·
finally got around to making a seat lanyard, ended up that when the esat is hanging it makes a good place to lay your tools while working with battery or making connections. also made these bungee spools for about 10 bucks. View attachment 12075 View attachment 12076
After the 2nd trip to the tax office, I added the license plate.

#1,116 ·
... I added the license plate.
Well I didn't believe the talk about cracking plates until I saw mine today after doing the clutch adjustment. Amazing thing. Never had that happen on my old bike(s). Last one used a 2 bolt thin metal bar as a mount so I wouldn't have thought the Scout would be much different except for being plastic. Which I suppose is the problem.

Pictures show before and after adding a metal washer to the outside, didn't use a washer there before. Another possible reason for crack?
And a plumbing washer made of soft white rubber between plate and mount, with another smaller washer for nut behind there.
Auto part Wheel

Clutch cable adjusted too (finally!), and that fixed the problem I had with hard shifts at 1st and 2nd.
Partially my fault, I shouldn't have been going by the way the clutch released and grabbed. Although I knew it was a full pull to handlebar grip for best shifting, the clutch plates were not grabbing at all until I let lever get a fair distance away from grip. Maybe 20% of total range.
Now with this adjustment at lever gap it's smooth (almost) every time. Got to consider it's been out of adjustment hundreds of miles so I can only hope it improves from here on.
And those pictures:
Steering part Motor vehicle Steering wheel Auto part Font

#18 ·
Start a thread like this after all I did on mine starting back in December ? :) About done with mine for now other than let KevinX have it this Friday and Install the PCV and Dyno It while I Head for the Ozarks on my Victory Cross Country and get some much needed R&R ... More to Come ..

#24 ·
View attachment 14985 I got tired of trying to learn to use 4 fingers on clutch. Too many years on dirt bikes. So I adapted some shorty levers from a CBR. I think it looks a lot better and definitely works better for me. View attachment 14982 View attachment 14984
Does this mean it isn't as hard to pull the clutch? With my Rebel I only used 2 fingers. But with the Scout I keep 3 on there at all times but need to use 4 to actually pull it. No joke my hand and whole arm is falling asleep/becoming numb every time I ride.

Great idea and looks great also.

#27 ·
Taboothe, If you search ebay for CBR clutch lever there are tons of choices. They don't just drop in. 2012 CBR 500 levers are pretty close. The clutch side I was able to modify to work, but brake side I ended up machining a whole new lever base. That's why it is still silver, haven't painted it yet. You can buy whole new clutch and front brake assembly's for under $150. That would be a better way I think, just not sure if brake line fitting would be same size. Also may need to make hole in clutch lever bigger for cable end.

Shiver, The lever is a little harder to pull actually. Geometry is a little different .

ScottD, the new lever had a tab on it pretty much like stock lever.

#29 ·
Today I received my new mirrors and installed them. I have had repeated problems with the OEM mirror on the right side breaking in the plastic housing around the adjusting swivel, and the cost of the new mirror/attaching tube is so ridiculous I decided to look elsewhere. After some looking around and a tip from one of the other regulars here (h/t @Rainmaker) I opted to go with a set of
BikeMaster Lined Oval Tube Mirror - Chrome KS-A60CNC which I ordered from Powersports Superstore via Amazon. Here's the results:
Golf equipment Iron Wedge Rear-view mirror Automotive mirror

Motor vehicle Windshield Vehicle Glass Mode of transport
Vehicle Bicycle saddle Bicycle wheel Bicycle part Motorcycle
Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle wheel Vehicle Bicycle fork
Product Vehicle Automotive exterior Motorcycle accessories Auto part
Vehicle Motorcycle Windshield Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories

The install was very simple - adapters were included in the set. Took about 15 minutes, requiring a 14mm wrench for the adapter jam nut and a 3/8in wrench to tighten the adapter piece in
the mirror stem (9mm was too small, 10mm too big. Had to make do.) If you look in the close-up of the lower angle on the mirror stem, you can see the socket-head allen screw - that took a 4mm hex wrench. I have these mounted on a set of the mirror extensions that were discussed here in one of the forums a while back, so that I get the mirror out far enough to clear my shoulders.

A couple of additional observations on these: the mirror glass in these has a slight tint to reduce glare from headlights behind you at night. I could even tell that when I backed it out into the sun to adjust the mirrors and take some photos. I think I am going to like that. The mirrors themselves are about 1/2-2/3 the surface area size of the OEM units; while I might have preferred them a bit larger, I really like the lines of these and they had a surprisingly wide field of view from the seat. The swivel on the mirror back is the real deal - all metal, about 3 or 4 times the range of motion on the OEM, and a very snug fit. I don't think I am going to have problems with it vibrating around on me, or breaking in half when I try to adjust it.

#30 ·
Aeromach floorboards work great... but there's just enough room to get my big toe under the shifter, even adjusted upward. Come Winter, I will not be able to get my boot toe in there. So I bolted on an Aeromach heel-toe, like so:

Lookee the size of those shifter pegs by comparo. This unit came with a new peg for the foot brake on the other side, too. Compare peg sizes in this pic:

Brake peg was a bit hard to find once I put on floorboards. This looks like the cure.

Good job Aeromech.

#32 ·
Today I received my new mirrors and installed them. I have had repeated problems with the OEM mirror on the right side breaking in the plastic housing around the adjusting swivel, and the cost of the new mirror/attaching tube is so ridiculous I decided to look elsewhere. After some looking around and a tip from one of the other regulars here (h/t @Rainmaker) I opted to go with a set of
BikeMaster Lined Oval Tube Mirror - Chrome KS-A60CNC which I ordered from Powersports Superstore via Amazon. Here's the results:
View attachment 16578
View attachment 16572 View attachment 16574 View attachment 16575 View attachment 16576 View attachment 16579

The install was very simple - adapters were included in the set. Took about 15 minutes, requiring a 14mm wrench for the adapter jam nut and a 3/8in wrench to tighten the adapter piece in
the mirror stem (9mm was too small, 10mm too big. Had to make do.) If you look in the close-up of the lower angle on the mirror stem, you can see the socket-head allen screw - that took a 4mm hex wrench. I have these mounted on a set of the mirror extensions that were discussed here in one of the forums a while back, so that I get the mirror out far enough to clear my shoulders.

A couple of additional observations on these: the mirror glass in these has a slight tint to reduce glare from headlights behind you at night. I could even tell that when I backed it out into the sun to adjust the mirrors and take some photos. I think I am going to like that. The mirrors themselves are about 1/2-2/3 the surface area size of the OEM units; while I might have preferred them a bit larger, I really like the lines of these and they had a surprisingly wide field of view from the seat. The swivel on the mirror back is the real deal - all metal, about 3 or 4 times the range of motion on the OEM, and a very snug fit. I don't think I am going to have problems with it vibrating around on me, or breaking in half when I try to adjust it.
Really like the mirrors-- I am biased though, I have the black ones

#37 ·
View attachment 16578
View attachment 16572 View attachment 16574 View attachment 16575 View attachment 16576 View attachment 16579

i also have these mirrors, by the way , i found i no longer needed the extensions with the bikemasters..........

#39 · (Edited)
Installed the Leatherworks saddlebags (model 125BO in the Indian Vintage) onto the Easy Brackets. Did a run up to Coulterville as shakedown. All is well. My sincere thanks to Aimee Thatcher of Leatherworks and Jon Dubuque of Great Bike Gear for their support.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

Motor vehicle Leather Vehicle Car Classic

Motor vehicle Scooter Vehicle Vespa Automotive design

#40 ·
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.