Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

What did you do to your scout today?

1057896 Views 7804 Replies 902 Participants Last post by  Master tech 1265
finally got around to making a seat lanyard, ended up that when the seat is hanging it makes a good place to lay your tools while working with battery or making connections. also made these bungee spools for about 10 bucks. Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Wire
Automotive design Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
6841 - 6860 of 7805 Posts

· Rider
1,499 Posts
I tied down the rear brake lever over night and damned if it didn't cure the mushiness I've had since the dealer did a fluid flush. I didn't expect it to work. It's nice to have a good rear brake back.

· Bronze member
1,358 Posts
My back is a wreck.
Doc recommended an inversion table. 5 minutes a day. Made a huge difference.
Having a lower back support on the Mustang seat takes all the strain off my lower back.
If you don't have one -- you gotta try it.

Sorry about your back! Don't know what happened, so if my advice is stupid, ignore it.

Wishing you a great 2022!
Haven’t quite figured out what’s up.

I took a short (8 hours) trip to NY in the summer and it felt like my spine was crushed in a vise. (Mind you, I routinely do 12 hour days in a row.) never happened before!

I upgraded the rear suspension to Razors - but something is still off. A short ride to the gas station a few weeks ago,
This pain is actually coincident with me getting new FRONT springs and I’m wondering if they screwed that up.

I’ll be trying out a stock Scout in the spring to see, and if not, well, I’ll have to move on to something else.

· Registered
Scout 60, Chieftain, previously owned Honda Goldwing, CB360 first bike
213 Posts
Haven’t quite figured out what’s up.

I took a short (8 hours) trip to NY in the summer and it felt like my spine was crushed in a vise. (Mind you, I routinely do 12 hour days in a row.) never happened before!

I upgraded the rear suspension to Razors - but something is still off. A short ride to the gas station a few weeks ago,
This pain is actually coincident with me getting new FRONT springs and I’m wondering if they screwed that up.

I’ll be trying out a stock Scout in the spring to see, and if not, well, I’ll have to move on to something else.
SM, I too have a Scout and have same issue. It just plain hurts! I added a Chieftain to my garage. It’s a whole different ride. I can do hundreds of miles. I make my Scout comfortable. Boards helped. I’m looking for a seat. Maybe springs. Keep me posted on what fixes you find work.

· Registered
213 Posts
SM, I too have a Scout and have same issue. It just plain hurts! I added a Chieftain to my garage. It’s a whole different ride. I can do hundreds of miles. I want to make my Scout comfortable. Boards helped. I’m looking for a seat. Maybe springs. Keep me posted on what fixes you find work.

· Bronze member
1,358 Posts
SM, I too have a Scout and have same issue. It just plain hurts! I added a Chieftain to my garage. It’s a whole different ride. I can do hundreds of miles. I make my Scout comfortable. Boards helped. I’m looking for a seat. Maybe springs. Keep me posted on what fixes you find work.
What I don’t get is the sudden change. I’ve done weeklong tours, bone stock, on the scout and it’s been fine!

I’m not averse to upgrading if I have to, but I don’t want to abandon it if can be fixed. So sad.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Picked up my scout from the shop today after they put on dean speed 10 inch apes. It's an amazing difference. Much better posture on the bike and it's even more responsive maneuvering. Less fatigue on the hands and back. I'm loving it. In fact I'm planning a loop tomorrow, about 100 miles. It's a clear sunny day and the high will be low 50's.

· Registered
213 Posts
Picked up my scout from the shop today after they put on dean speed 10 inch apes. It's an amazing difference. Much better posture on the bike and it's even more responsive maneuvering. Less fatigue on the hands and back. I'm loving it. In fact I'm planning a loop tomorrow, about 100 miles. It's a clear sunny day and the high will be low 50's.
SO, do you have any photos? Even before and after?

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Thanks for your photo. Bars look nice. Looks like a good choice since reduced reach bars were canceled by Indian.
Thanks. I would have gone with mini apes even if Indian was still producing the reduced reach bars. I like the look a lot better, they let me sit upright, they're cheaper than the reduced reach bars and I believe they actually work better than reduced reach bars as far as moving the controls closer. Very happy with these.

· Registered
328 Posts
Congrats on the dean speed bars. Is your windshield the Indian Scout accessory shield? If so, how easily did the shield fit on the mini apes? I ask because I have Indian's mini apes and bought a used Indian Scout accessory shield and it didn't fit. Ended up scratching the bars trying to make it fit. I contacted Indian and they confirmed their accessory shield doesn't fit their accessory mini apes.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Congrats on the dean speed bars. Is your windshield the Indian Scout accessory shield? If so, how easily did the shield fit on the mini apes? I ask because I have Indian's mini apes and bought a used Indian Scout accessory shield and it didn't fit. Ended up scratching the bars trying to make it fit. I contacted Indian and they confirmed their accessory shield doesn't fit their accessory mini apes.
It is the Indian windscreen. I had it installed when I bought the bike. There was no problem with the fit of the mini apes and no conflict with the windscreen.

· Registered
9 Posts
I installed K-Tech Razor Lite III rear shocks this morning on my '21 Bobber ABS and OH. MY. GOD.

The bike is INFINITELY more enjoyable now. No puckered butthole when I see a bump coming, incredible comfort, and the turn handling is vastly improved. I can't wait to do some more riding this weekend. For reference in case people are interested:

• Bought from Orient Express, Ken was extremely helpful answering questions to make sure I got the right ones and installed correctly
  • Got the Bobber specific pair (283B-140-285-BOB)
  • Orient Express preloaded the weight for me (260lbs)
  • Best comfort so far was 13 clicks from the 0 point on the dampening
  • I had to use the factory washer for the top left bolt, but not the top right bolt. Make sure you use the included bolt for the bottom right bolt.
  • Torqued to ~65 ftlbs.
  • I had to remove my top V&H Slash Cut slip on to install the right shock

I'm almost sorry I ordered a Mustang seat (coming in today), as this made such a huge improvement. But I'm sure I'll love that too! Can't wait to get some pics up later.

· Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't. They might sue you for trade mark infringement 🤣
A simple thanks from them would be nice. In this day and age, it wouldn't surprise me. I guess you can take a bike and paint Jack Daniels on it and everybody loves you but if you try to do something to pay tribute to something you love, that's a problem. I'm not a lawyer, just a fan. Maybe I'll rethink that and just keep it among us riders and fans. :)

6841 - 6860 of 7805 Posts