Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

What did you do to your scout today?

1057311 Views 7803 Replies 902 Participants Last post by  Beej
finally got around to making a seat lanyard, ended up that when the seat is hanging it makes a good place to lay your tools while working with battery or making connections. also made these bungee spools for about 10 bucks. Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Wire
Automotive design Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
5341 - 5360 of 7804 Posts

· Bronze member
2,000 Posts

I was wanting to paint the pulley cover ever since last year, just didn’t want to use the original (gloss black) since I already put an oversized Indian coin onto it.
Finally got this 2018 textured black cover last month, along with Indian Red paint from Color Rite.

After a long procrastination, I got it painted and put it on today.
Added the Indian Motorcycle belt buckle after grinding off the attachment parts. I had seen someone else do the same a while ago.

Changed my mind about using the oversized buffalo nickel for this. Maybe I’ll think of something else for it.

Almost forgot to mention that when I was putting the pulley cover on I noticed the chrome cover didn’t have screws holding it on. The rubber gasket underneath was stuck to it. There was an obvious gap between the engine and cover anyhow.
Luckily I had a couple of short stainless steel screws that were an exact fit.
So everyone reading this might want to check their covers too.

· Registered
301 Posts
View attachment 597738

I was wanting to paint the pulley cover ever since last year, just didn’t want to use the original (gloss black) since I already put an oversized Indian coin onto it.
Finally got this 2018 textured black cover last month, along with Indian Red paint from Color Rite.

After a long procrastination, I got it painted and put it on today.
Added the Indian Motorcycle belt buckle after grinding off the attachment parts. I had seen someone else do the same a while ago.

Changed my mind about using the oversized buffalo nickel for this. Maybe I’ll think of something else for it.
okay... THAT is rad! Bravo. I love the look of the belt buckle on there. I might have to do a monkey see monkey do on this one.

· Bronze member
2,000 Posts
I might have to do a monkey see monkey do on this one.
Well I sure did! Thanks!
I’m glad I saw someone post a picture, I didn’t know about the belt buckle.

and you know what’s interesting about those, I didn’t even think about it until after I put the cover on. They have the Indian facing the opposite way from the engine cover, even though they’re the same otherwise.
I can’t decide if that’s a good or bad thing. I never really notice the chrome one anyway, it’s hard to see.

· Registered
301 Posts
Well I sure did! Thanks!
I’m glad I saw someone post a picture, I didn’t know about the belt buckle.

and you know what’s interesting about those, I didn’t even think about it until after I put the cover on. They have the Indian facing the opposite way from the engine cover, even though they’re the same otherwise.
I can’t decide if that’s a good or bad thing. I never really notice the chrome one anyway, it’s hard to see.
How did you attach it? I will probably just put in on with my existing black pulley cover.

· Bronze member
2,000 Posts
How did you attach it?
Gorilla tape. Well actually pre-cut squares package was what I ended up buying. Same temperature range and OK for outdoors.
You have to read the back of the packages to be sure it’s -40° to 248° (I measured 148° with infrared thermometer after a 20 minute ride).
“Permanent“ adhesive.

I just put four squares, top bottom and sides. Trimmed for the curve with a razor blade.
The middle of the belt buckle doesn’t make contact. It’s just one big dimple.

Reactions: messygarage

· Registered
484 Posts
Was a busy day for me:
  • stock mufflers came off, Miller Yuma II slip ons went on
  • stock headlight came out, JWSpeaker 8690 (non-adaptive) went in
  • installed Kellermann DF 3-in-1 rear lights with the ilash i2 relay - got everything working but the license plate light. :(
  • installed Kellermann 1000PL up front with ilash i1 relay BUT didn't work....AT ALL...PLs just stayed dark; so I reinstalled the stock blinkers :(
If anyone has any tips on the licenseplate light and the 1000PLs up front do let me know.
Try them without the relays, I put X Arcs in without and they work perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,972 Posts
I replaced the fork springs not the shocks. I did order some progressive 12in standard shocks though but they are on backorder lol
I replaced my entire suspension.
Went with Arlen Mess on the rear because besides damp and rebound, I can change the height.

Up front, progressive and changed to 20w fork oil.

Overall a very spotty suspension. My wife's 2017 gives a more plush ride, but mine feels like a sport bike.

The 2017 and later shocks are good. Mine were 2015 and crap.

· Registered
83 Posts
Finally got the bar end mirror mounts from the dealer, so tossed those on there.

Also installed the following:
1. Joker Machine Front Master Cylinder Cover Smooth (Black)
- Really liked the Indian branding on the front MC cover but hated all the other writing so bought a smooth MC cover from Joker Machine.
2. Joker Machine Rear Master Cylinder Cover Finned (Black)
- Again, wasn't a fan of all the writing on the rear MC cover and this one was plastic. Went with the "finned" Joker Machine rear MC cover to match my mini serrated floorboards from them.
Summit Racing Woven Fabric Wire Wraps (Black)
- I wasn't liking the chrome front brake cabling, it was taking away from the look I wanted, so I wrapped them. Looks 10x better IMO.
4. Removed warning stickers.

Pics Below!

BEFORE & AFTER PICS OF MASTER CYLINDER COVERS (FRONT & REAR)

BEFORE & AFTER PICS OF WIRE WRAP & STICKER REMOVAL

· Bronze member
2,000 Posts
I got a real silver buffalo/Indian head nickel in that spot
Yeah heck I was really wanting to put the buffalo side on there, these phony jumbo coins didn’t look as good as the belt buckle for going there.

Seeing your rear shock in that picture I thought I would mention the shock covers I just put on today.
Got them from cheap cycle parts because Indian parts wouldn’t allow me to select them. (2019 bobber rear suspension, listed as International and not shown)
$24 for the pair, minus shipping. Also got the bolt caps.

Flimsy stuff so only time will tell how well it does in the sunlight and weather. Easy install, just used scissor jack to get tire sitting lightly on ground. Slight adjustments until bolts could be turned by hand after loosening. Torqued to 55 ft lbs.

Took forever to be delivered, email said back ordered. That was a couple months ago. I’ve had them a couple weeks now.

· Registered
83 Posts
Yeah heck I was really wanting to put the buffalo side on there, these phony jumbo coins didn’t look as good as the belt buckle for going there.

Seeing your rear shock in that picture I thought I would mention the shock covers I just put on today.
Got them from cheap cycle parts because Indian parts wouldn’t allow me to select them. (2019 bobber rear suspension, listed as International and not shown)
$24 for the pair, minus shipping. Also got the bolt caps.

Flimsy stuff so only time will tell how well it does in the sunlight and weather. Easy install, just used scissor jack to get tire sitting lightly on ground. Slight adjustments until bolts could be turned by hand after loosening. Torqued to 55 ft lbs.

Took forever to be delivered, email said back ordered. That was a couple months ago. I’ve had them a couple weeks now.
View attachment 597957
Link to shock covers and bolt caps?

5341 - 5360 of 7804 Posts