Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

701 - 720 of 739 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Indian FTR is not listed?
Ftr bars are nothing special they aren’t threaded. So any insert designed for any 7/8in bar will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I don't see why not. All you need is M6 bolts that are long enough. I think the stock bolts in the FTR are M5 btw, or maybe even smaller. But a drill will easily fix that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Front fork will need new springs for my weight for sure (210 geared) since we could see it was a bit firm even at the lower settings while setting static sag.
Progressive Suspension in Hesperia, CA borrowed my FTR back in July. They took measurements and started working on springs and an adjustable shock for the Non-S model.

They got the new spring last week and installed it. They also went with KYB 2.5 weight oil to reduce compression dampening some. I have only commuted on it (Sucky CA freeways) and it feels a lot better. Not nearly so much dive on braking and with the correct sag it feels more plush in the first part of the stroke.

They won't have spring in stock for a few weeks but if you are over 200 lbs, 14 stones, or 90Kg I recommend the upgrade.

I also purchased a Penske Shock adjusting collar from Traxxion Dynamics. I haven't installed it yet, it might need to chucked up and .5mm removed but I'm not sure yet. I hope to pull the shock tomorrow and check.

Why do I need the collar? I'm commuting as much as possible and between the tank bag, saddle bags, tail bag and back pack I have 60-70lbs of extra weight. And of course, sometimes I have a passenger on the weekend. I want to be able to easily crank up through the week and then drop down on the weekends.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Progressive Suspension in Hesperia, CA borrowed my FTR back in July. They took measurements and started working on springs and an adjustable shock for the Non-S model.

They got the new spring last week and installed it. They also went with KYB 2.5 weight oil to reduce compression dampening some. I have only commuted on it (Sucky CA freeways) and it feels a lot better. Not nearly so much dive on braking and with the correct sag it feels more plush in the first part of the stroke.

They won't have spring in stock for a few weeks but if you are over 200 lbs, 14 stones, or 90Kg I recommend the upgrade.

I also purchased a Penske Shock adjusting collar from Traxxion Dynamics. I haven't installed it yet, it might need to chucked up and .5mm removed but I'm not sure yet. I hope to pull the shock tomorrow and check.

Why do I need the collar? I'm commuting as much as possible and between the tank bag, saddle bags, tail bag and back pack I have 60-70lbs of extra weight. And of course, sometimes I have a passenger on the weekend. I want to be able to easily crank up through the week and then drop down on the weekends.

View attachment 575934
The adjustable shock collar is a perfect mod assuming the fitment is good. I'm looking forward to the update on how it works out

·
Registered
110 Posts
The adjustable shock collar is a perfect mod assuming the fitment is good. I'm looking forward to the update on how it works out
No joy today! The preload collar doesn't come down far enough to let the spring retainer come off. I tried to force it but couldn't quite get it. I ordered a Race Tech spring compressor. No one had it in stock locally to it will be a week before I get it.

I do my own service on the dirt bikes and have wanted that tool for a while. This was the motivation I needed to finally buy it.

I will have an update as soon as I get the tool!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Gonna sound weird but what I did for the FTR was I left it at home and rode my other bike.
The footpeg positions are very similar so I was able to compare the two very well
I thought I was sitting on a mini bike to start with cause it's so much smaller haha!
What it helped me with though was making a decision about the handlebars - I put Renthal Ultra Lows on my Hornet and that slight drop in hand position helped heaps with making it a bit more comfy for me.
the bars on the FTR sit a fair bit higher- so I think I'm going to change them to lower bars.
Just gotta decide which ones to get.....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Yeah about it the same width. And any fat bar fits. I bought them before the “ftr” rizoma parts came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

701 - 720 of 739 Posts