Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
3541 - 3560 of 3582 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put R&G frame sliders, fork protectors, and rear axle bobbins on my FTR today.

Two weeks ago my BMW S1000R hit an oil slick at 100 kph, and both it and I went for an 80-metre slide down the road. I walked away with a big bruise on my arse and a mild concussion; the BMW ended up in a ditch with everything on its left side either scratched or broken, including a shattered alternator cover. That last bit of damage is most likely what made the insurance assessor decide the S1000R was totalled.

I dunno whether or not some basic frame sliders would have mitigated all that damage to the S1000R… but I figure I’ll take fewer chances with the health and longevity of the only bike I have left, so I went all out for the FTR.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Replaced the battery since it was totally crapped out after only 1.5 years and 4k miles. :rolleyes: I don't put it on a tender since I ride fairly regularly here in Texas, but I'm going to start now.

I also spooned on a new rear Scorpion Rally STR... Jesus, I'm not sure what the deal is with those tires, but they seem way more rigid and hard to install than average. Even with the bead pushed down in the inner groove of the wheel, I felt like I was destroying the tire getting it over the rim. And then I forgot the right-side spacer when putting the wheel back on. Once it was obvious that the wheel wouldn't spin since the caliber bracket was contacting the rotor, it was clear that I made a mistake and had to pull it off again.

I also installed the RSD grips. Note to anyone who hasn't changed grips before... if you use compressed air, they almost eject themselves off the bar and 91% isopropyl alcohol makes them slide on easy while drying clean; but if you don't go this route, you're going to hate life. The RSD grips are fatter in diameter (supposedly 10%). It's hard to tell when just looking at them, but definitely noticeable when riding. I didn't find any difference in vibes or feel over OEM except for the increased size. I wear a size XL / XXL glove so it works better for me, but others might find it less desirable vs stock.

3541 - 3560 of 3582 Posts