Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1701 - 1720 of 1728 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
some pics from another "last" trip of the season, between 6° - 15° Celsius, had to pay attention on the shadow parts of the road, just wet or icy a little bit of both. Coming down from the sunny but cold mountains, the fog took over again.

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,165 Posts
Went for a ride today. Realized how much I've changed it in 17 months.
Before and after comparison:
Yeah, not a fan of the chrome headlight bezel. I like the contrast. I have a black RM and put the black bezel on mine, really makes a difference on the looks of the bike, Dean

Reactions: Mack

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's a nice look. Since mine is Burgundy and brown leather, I don't know how the black would look on it. The black hinge cover things look good on the bags.

I still have some black carbon fiber vinyl wrap. I suppose I could just take it off it it looked bad. I wrapped the chrome center piece on the top of my gas tank on my VTX a while back before I got the RM. The high noon time sun would just laser beam the eyes at the right angle. And it was very annoying. Looked good since the saddle bags were black, the bike was red. I powder coated the rims black too.

However I wouldn't have objected to black leather on mine RM, too. Either black or brown would look good in my eyes with the burgundy. I guess I'm just not too picky about it.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Went on a 3 day ride with my buddy Mark on his Roadmaster. We rode from Savannah to Cherokee NC on Monday and his wife met us with their dogs at a house we rented.

Judy went fishing on Tuesday and caught 7 trout in 90 minutes. Mark and I rode a loop around the Smokey Mountains and that was about 6 hours of riding.

Relive 'Smokey mountains Loop'

the temps were generally low. Both Monday and Tuesday when we started the temps were around 44*. My portable air compressor was awesome to have. My rear tire was at 32 and Marks was at 29 psi on Tuesday morning so getting the tires inflated was great.

I discovered two issues. I guess when the tech put together my handle bars, the clutch switch wasn’t in position 100% correctly. Just barely touching my clutch would activate the switch. The cruise control wasn’t working about 1/2 the time and I’d have to play with the clutch handle and then it would work.

My second issue was with my Russell Day Long seat. I turned on the seat heat and got nothing. I was pretty miffed about that. About 2 hours into the ride, I reached back and turned on the rear heat to see what happened and sure enough, my butt was nice and toasty.

I got home last night and cleaned all the bugs off. I’ve been using hydrogen peroxide mixed with water for a while and it works amazingly. I spray the front down and wait 10 minutes or so and the hundreds of bugs just wipe off without any trouble.

Next I opened the clutch switch and played around with it until I got it just right. I was worn out from the riding but knew I wouldn’t sleep well unless I tackled the seat heat issue. Pulled the seat off and I guess RDL just put the switches in the wrong spot? The wires were labeled correctly to the switches so I don’t know. This seat wasn’t mine, it was Marks so I guess it’s possible Indian wired it wrong from the get go but I doubt that. I don’t think he ever used the heaters.

Next issue to tackle is glasses for night riding. I’ve been using yellow or clear safety glasses and they’re great until I get an oncoming car and their headlights create a bit of a starburst and it’s difficult to see until the car has passed.

I was thinking about it after Mark split off to go to his house when I was riding down a 2 lane state highway. I count headlights to see if oncoming traffic is passing. Sure enough, I see 2 headlights with auxiliary lights so that was a truck and what appeared to be several cars behind. All of a sudden, I think I see 4 lights but it’s hard to tell if I’m just seeing the line of cars behind the truck. I’m squinting to try to get a better view and yep... 4 lights. Swerve to the shoulder and aggressively brake. 2 cars zoom pass in my lane trying to pass the tractor trailer... fuckers. 😡🤬🤬🤬 Hard to miss my JW Speaker lights and passing lamps and I have the Badlands turn signal module. Still 0 fucks were given.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,009 Posts
I've been thinking about powder coating my bars for a while. But the thought of disassembly, being without the bike, then reassembly kept me from doing that.

Then it occurred to me. Captain itch made some awesome engine and saddle bag guard wraps that I love. Why not try that on the bars?

So I ordered 10 inch length matching bar wraps in the 4 1/4 width. Got them in, conditioned them with leather honey, and installed them in about an hour this morning. Turned out really well!

If somebody is interested in doing this, 10 inch length worked well, but if you don't have a fairing and want it all the way to the clamps, 18 inch length is what you'd need.
A little more chrome gone away.

·
Rider
1,417 Posts
I've been thinking about powder coating my bars for a while. But the thought of disassembly, being without the bike, then reassembly kept me from doing that.

Then it occurred to me. Captain itch made some awesome engine and saddle bag guard wraps that I love. Why not try that on the bars?

So I ordered 10 inch length matching bar wraps in the 4 1/4 width. Got them in, conditioned them with leather honey, and installed them in about an hour this morning. Turned out really well!

If somebody is interested in doing this, 10 inch length worked well, but if you don't have a fairing and want it all the way to the clamps, 18 inch length is what you'd need.
A little more chrome gone away.
Nice

·
Registered
224 Posts
So I got my ‘16 RM an “old new” companion.

This ‘16 Scout was my first Indian, I sold it about one and a half year ago, the guy who purchased never did the ownership transfer, and now I had the opportunity to get her back (with a proper discount).

The best part is that I won’t have to deal with the DMV to transfer the papers back to me. Officially speaking and according to local laws, it never left my legal property.

That pic is actually old, it’s from when I sold it the first time. Back then it had a little over 1200mi on it, now it has a little over 2K miles. And along with the good price I “paid back” on it (obviously WAY less than what I sold it almost two years ago) I still got an original Indian mesh jacket (I already had one so I will keep the new one for my wife), a pair of saddlebags, a new battery (installed one month ago) and a full service made in the same trusted mechanic that works on my Roadmaster. The only reason I didn’t take updated pics is because the bike is dirty as hell, as it was in the garage (without covers) for the last two and a half months.

Now, it’s “two Indians” back again.

Edit: now that the Scout is properly presentable again (it was stopped for nearly three months with no cover and gathering dust) here are my two beauties reunited:

16 Scout and 18 RoadMaAter here too; excellent bikes!

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I'm currently storing my wife's Christmas presents in my locked trunk so she wont find them. She doesn't know how the work the fob and its hidden from her. Bike is in my basement storage room so everything is secure.

·
Rider
729 Posts
It’s officially winter, winterized and up on the lift ‘till March or April😢

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Still surprisingly nice out here so I was up the turnpike to the dealer for a reflash. Evidently they had already conducted the recall for the gear sensor or whatever. It was a still new 2019 RM I bought at the end of May 2020. Probably took about 20 mins, and also topped off the tires and I was on my way. So a nice day for a ride, almost 50 miles round trip. No codes or having to up the stand, put in neutral and hold the clutch to start. N light works, and the gear indicator is also showing properly. Now 800 more miles to 5000. Mine is all dusty too and I need to paint my clamps on my highway bars for my aux lights. They are getting rusty. Maybe I should get dressed and go get some paint lol!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, they are Buffalo brand dual horns. Last I looked, Randy didn’t have them listed on the website. Use the contact us feature and ask about dual horns and he’ll hook you up! You also have to purchase a retro horn mount also.

It looks like you mounted both the long and short Buffalo brand air horns at the same time. If so how did you do that or is it a new option?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
Those look nice. I was thinking about making some of my own. I already made my own floorboard trim a while back. Hasn't blown off yet haha!

Reactions: Ghostman

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
So how did it all work out?
Check out the Thread, overall very pleased, nice quiet (non-clacking) engine, lots of torque, sounds great!

upgraded the fork springs, new brake pads, KST Apache Baggers Bars (love them - so much more comfortable over stock), love the quick shifter!

Reactions: Lord Bard Prime

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check out the Thread, overall very pleased, nice quiet (non-clacking) engine, lots of torque, sounds great!

upgraded the fork springs, new brake pads, KST Apache Baggers Bars (love them - so much more comfortable over stock), love the quick shifter!

View attachment 613549

View attachment 613549
:cool:(y)

1701 - 1720 of 1728 Posts