Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
2101 - 2120 of 2127 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster 120 Stroker
700 Posts
@Lord Bard Prime - I’m sorry but I think the tail end of your bike looks cheap (hose clamps, metal brackets, loose/exposed wiring) - surely there’s got to be a better way to put auxiliary lighting on a classy, high dollar Roadmaster! to each their own but Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks for your constructive criticism, and I don't intend any sarcasm saying that either. Nothing cheap about that set up tho haha. But the most recent pics did clean it up a lot better. And I had been neglecting the wires since the trunk and lights were off and on so much lately since everything is tapped in to the load isolator except the rear camera. But I do intend to shore it up and see what I can do to get the wires tidied. I didn't want to drill anything to hide the wires. So there's got to be some sacrifice of wire appearances somewhere. But with this set up now, I think it's time to get it ready for the trip down south to GA next month. But if you have any ideas or recommendations to clean it up, I'd be happy to hear them!

Reactions: Cameroni79

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I've seen several photos of people with tan speaker covers on their trunks. I always assumed it was a part from Indian and they just didn't make many of them. It took me quite a while, but I finally dug up an old thread from 2015 where someone did it and they shared the process. RustOleum Warm Caramel. Checked Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart and kept striking out. Last night, I tried Ace and found nearly every store had it in stock. Went for a ride this morning and got a can and came home and went to work. I'm super happy how it turned out.

Not an exact match but pretty darn close. Next week I should have my new trunk upholstery back from RDL so all the leather will match and should be closer to the paint color.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Headgear Bag Motor vehicle Personal protective equipment Eyewear

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I've seen several photos of people with tan speaker covers on their trunks. I always assumed it was a part from Indian and they just didn't make many of them. It took me quite a while, but I finally dug up an old thread from 2015 where someone did it and they shared the process. RustOleum Warm Caramel. Checked Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart and kept striking out. Last night, I tried Ace and found nearly every store had it in stock. Went for a ride this morning and got a can and came home and went to work. I'm super happy how it turned out.

Not an exact match but pretty darn close. Next week I should have my new trunk upholstery back from RDL so all the leather will match and should be closer to the paint color.
View attachment 658028
View attachment 658029
That looks fantastic!! Stellar job!

Reactions: Magoo6541

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Today I wired in some 12v coax to plug in heated gear. Oh lawdy sweet baby Jesus. I had no idea what I had been missing. It’s like being wrapped in the loving embrace of the motorcycle gods.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I installed Freedom Windshield’s 14” clear and JES wind deflectors. I am liking the result, so far.

Freedom Shields was right-on-time with delivery. He stated 2 week production time when I ordered, and I had it in-hand at 15 days. The windshield is beautifully made, well-packed, and easy to install. JES was here in a week.

I should have put them on one at a time to evaluate each’s effect, but time is short. I installed both and took off. By tweaking the windshield position with varying speeds, I could get a nice quiet bubble around my head under most conditions. I felt like the wind protection improved significantly, and buffeting also improved. The visual distortion of the Freedom Shield is substantially better than the stock windshield. I felt less wind on my knees, but there’s still some getting through the gap over the lowers.

The deflectors came with instructions that would have me pulling the inner fairing and prying pieces this way and that to access the bolt holes, but installing on my ‘21 RM was a cinch. I didn’t have to pull the inner fairing, just the rubber plugs at the bottom, and installed the bolts through the opening. Once I realized it really was that easy, I had the pair installed in ten minutes.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
41 Posts
‘21 Roadmaster

I swapped out the stock LED headlamp for a JW Speaker Adaptive 2 and added the Custom Dynamics Trunk Magic Strobes.

The headlight swap required an adapter-I used the Custom Dynamics IND-HL-ADAPT. Everything else was straightforward, with no trimming of the plastic bucket or anything else required. No codes yet in the garage. I’ll be testing it in after dark, just a couple of hours from now.

Update: I let it get good and dark (17:00 in Oregon, damnit!) and took the JW Speaker for a test drive on my switchbacked mountain road. The low beam on the straights is about the same as the stock LED. The high beam, though, looks like it belongs on the front of a locomotive, or maybe an airplane; it throws one helluva beam down the road. In addition to a seriously powerful hotspot, it also throws some upwards, which the stock LED was missing completely. The adaptive segments do their job on the switchbacks; they aren’t terribly bright, but I’m no longer turning blind into the 10mph turns, or my unlit rural driveway.

I went with the JW Speaker adaptive 2 because of the adaptive segments working with high beam as well as the low. I was unable to learn if the Indian adaptive is like this, or adaptive with low beam only. So far, I am happy I went to the trouble.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
‘21 Roadmaster

I swapped out the stock LED headlamp for a JW Speaker Adaptive 2 and added the Custom Dynamics Trunk Magic Strobes.

snip...
Both are good upgrades. I have a '16 and had to modify the plastic bucket but don't remember using any adapter. I thought the difference was massive but maybe my OEM light was just adjusted too low or something. Either way, I can't recommend the JWS Adaptive 2 enough. The Trunk Magic Strobes are awesome and super easy. I recently did the tail light Magic Strobes mostly to add strobes to my trailer whenever it's hooked up. The trailer blocks the tail light as well as the Admore Light Bar so I wanted to add a little something extra to the smaller brake lights on the trailer.

Kinda funny, I was just wondering today how the Indian Adaptive is and which one I would get if I were to be shopping for one now.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I installed Freedom Windshield’s 14” clear and JES wind deflectors. I am liking the result, so far.

Freedom Shields was right-on-time with delivery. He stated 2 week production time when I ordered, and I had it in-hand at 15 days. The windshield is beautifully made, well-packed, and easy to install. JES was here in a week.

I should have put them on one at a time to evaluate each’s effect, but time is short. I installed both and took off. By tweaking the windshield position with varying speeds, I could get a nice quiet bubble around my head under most conditions. I felt like the wind protection improved significantly, and buffeting also improved. The visual distortion of the Freedom Shield is substantially better than the stock windshield. I felt less wind on my knees, but there’s still some getting through the gap over the lowers.

The deflectors came with instructions that would have me pulling the inner fairing and prying pieces this way and that to access the bolt holes, but installing on my ‘21 RM was a cinch. I didn’t have to pull the inner fairing, just the rubber plugs at the bottom, and installed the bolts through the opening. Once I realized it really was that easy, I had the pair installed in ten minutes.
View attachment 658600 View attachment 658601
I didn’t think you could use the JES wind deflectors with the Indian lowers. They don’t touch the lowers on far right and left turns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Both are good upgrades. I have a '16 and had to modify the plastic bucket but don't remember using any adapter. I thought the difference was massive but maybe my OEM light was just adjusted too low or something. Either way, I can't recommend the JWS Adaptive 2 enough. The Trunk Magic Strobes are awesome and super easy. I recently did the tail light Magic Strobes mostly to add strobes to my trailer whenever it's hooked up. The trailer blocks the tail light as well as the Admore Light Bar so I wanted to add a little something extra to the smaller brake lights on the trailer.

Kinda funny, I was just wondering today how the Indian Adaptive is and which one I would get if I were to be shopping for one now.
Though I did not find it in the manual, it appears that the ‘20-‘22 models with the factory LED headlight use a MX150 style connector instead of the H4. I searched a number of auto parts stores and could not find it, so wound up ordering the plug-n-play adapter for $14.95. I added a heat shrink sheath over the wires before installing, but otherwise it was plug and go.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I didn’t think you could use the JES wind deflectors with the Indian lowers. They don’t touch the lowers on far right and left turns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tested for contact, lock to lock, and there was no contact. It’s close, 3/16” or so, but they clear. The mounting holes on the deflectors are slotted for a little adjustment, but I have them set so they are parallel to the forks. If there had been contact with the lowers, there was some wiggle room there. The first photo shows the slotted mount holes (one bolt only for illustration purposes) and the second is the left deflector at full left lock. Installation was easy through the hole with the rubber plug, using the bolts and washers JES provided. I added Loctite because I am what I am.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Light Automotive mirror

Hood Automotive tire Azure Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
35 Posts
‘21 Roadmaster

The headlight swap required an adapter-I used the Custom Dynamics IND-HL-ADAPT. Everything else was straightforward, with no trimming of the plastic bucket or anything else required. No codes yet in the garage. I’ll be testing it in after dark, just a couple of hours from now.

Update: I let it get good and dark (17:00 in Oregon, damnit!) and took the JW Speaker for a test drive on my switchbacked mountain road. The low beam on the straights is about the same as the stock LED. The high beam, though, looks like it belongs on the front of a locomotive, or maybe an airplane; it throws one helluva beam down the road. In addition to a seriously powerful hotspot, it also throws some upwards, which the stock LED was missing completely. The adaptive segments do their job on the switchbacks; they aren’t terribly bright, but I’m no longer turning blind into the 10mph turns, or my unlit rural driveway.

I went with the JW Speaker adaptive 2 because of the adaptive segments working with high beam as well as the low. I was unable to learn if the Indian adaptive is like this, or adaptive with low beam only. So far, I am happy I went to the trouble.
How do the JW Speaker Adaptive 2 compare to the Custom dynamics PROBEAM Adaptive 7" LED HEADLAMP ? After a good scare on some switch backs last night with stock headlight and not able to see laterally while turning ( pretty much driving blind into the turn ) i had to pull hard left to avoid a eroded hole in the road that drop down the side of the mountain. ( Only reason we drove at night ) had to help another biker start his bike off side of the road.. I want to add in the Custom dynamics PROBEAM Adaptive 7" LED HEADLAMP along with the probeam passing lamps and maybe add in some pro beam fog lamp..

·
Registered
41 Posts

The only reason I went with the JW Speaker instead of the Indian Adaptive is because I could not find if the Indian model was like the Adaptive 2, with the adaptive part working on high beam. The JW-S is incredible, and I’m glad I did it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How do the JW Speaker Adaptive 2 compare to the Custom dynamics PROBEAM Adaptive 7" LED HEADLAMP ? After a good scare on some switch backs last night with stock headlight and not able to see laterally while turning ( pretty much driving blind into the turn ) i had to pull hard left to avoid a eroded hole in the road that drop down the side of the mountain. ( Only reason we drove at night ) had to help another biker start his bike off side of the road.. I want to add in the Custom dynamics PROBEAM Adaptive 7" LED HEADLAMP along with the probeam passing lamps and maybe add in some pro beam fog lamp..
I don‘t have direct experience with the PROBEAM, but I found a video of some guy that compared a bunch of headlights and used a shotgun on the ones he didn’t like. He spoke of the JW Speaker as the gold standard. As I recall, he reviewed the PROBEAM favorably. I found the link somewhere on this forum, but can’t seem to locate it now. My decision was driven by reviews, not direct experience, but I’m quite happy with it.

I live on a switchbacked road and was going through that blind turn business daily and definitely know what you mean about the stock headlight. The new Adaptive 2 solved it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don‘t have direct experience with the PROBEAM, but I found a video of some guy that compared a bunch of headlights and used a shotgun on the ones he didn’t like. He spoke of the JW Speaker as the gold standard. As I recall, he reviewed the PROBEAM favorably. I found the link somewhere on this forum, but can’t seem to locate it now. My decision was driven by reviews, not direct experience, but I’m quite happy with it.

I live on a switchbacked road and was going through that blind turn business daily and definitely know what you mean about the stock headlight. The new Adaptive 2 solved it.
Yea i seen that video , as well as another one where the compare the HD daymaker vs the Pro Beam adaptive show casing video stills and there was no comparison .. the Pro Beam illuminated much more than the daymaker.. I will check out the JW as well and see which way i lean .

Thanks

2101 - 2120 of 2127 Posts