Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather broke here yesterday, 80 and roads washed off, so I called the dealer to see if I could come in for the recall. When I got there and handed them the letter they said the bike was also open for a, he didn't call it a flash to the computer but said that they were hooking into the bikes computer addressing parasitic draw and some other stuff and lost me from there, I asked if the hook up to the computer had any effect on fuel delivery or timing or anything to do with how the engine runs and I thought he said no.
Anyway when I got back on the bike and took off for the ride home, around 50 miles along the Ohio river, the bike sure seemed to me to be running with anew spirit if you will or it was just a fantastic day for a ride but I do believe they did something. Also I noticed the presets for the radio were gone, don't know if it was because of the recall for the electrical cable or what but anyway I look at it my bike and I are ready for spring.

·
Registered
2008 Victory Vision 2016 Victory Vision 2020 Indian Challenger
858 Posts
Glad to hear they got the flash for the current/voltage drain.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,095 Posts
My understanding from talking to my dealer is the large parasitic draw is only if you use the fob to set the alarm on a bike with the Ride Command system. Other than that it's the same low parasitic draw that pretty much every modern vehicle has. Of course you notice it more on a motorcycle since the battery capacity is much smaller than a car's battery.

·
Bronze member
5,057 Posts
I had the recall flash done today. The bike now has a digital fuel gauge on the readout as well as the dial gauge on the tank. That was unexpected and the service manager didn't know it was going to happen.

Two minutes into the traffic after leaving the dealer and the bike started running rough, coughing and spluttering and popping on decel. The traffic was too heavy for me to turn back right away and at about five or ten minutes it seemed to have cleared and was running smooth again. However, the throttle response that got sharpened up by the FuelMoto tune and the PVCX is now not so sharp and I have to twist more to get the same response.

The flash must entail disconnecting the battery as the readout showed zero for both trip meters, and my preferences had changed - clock was on 24 hour mode, TPMS on Kpa instead of psi

I think I'll be back in the shop tomorrow to ask about the rough running.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
I had the recall flash done today. The bike now has a digital fuel gauge on the readout as well as the dial gauge on the tank. That was unexpected and the service manager didn't know it was going to happen.

Two minutes into the traffic after leaving the dealer and the bike started running rough, coughing and spluttering and popping on decel. The traffic was too heavy for me to turn back right away and at about five or ten minutes it seemed to have cleared and was running smooth again. However, the throttle response that got sharpened up by the FuelMoto tune and the PVCX is now not so sharp and I have to twist more to get the same response.

The flash must entail disconnecting the battery as the readout showed zero for both trip meters, and my preferences had changed - clock was on 24 hour mode, TPMS on Kpa instead of psi

I think I'll be back in the shop tomorrow to ask about the rough running.
Reflash it with the PVCX and the FuelMoto tune.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Founding member
2,421 Posts
Consider a reflash equivalent to resetting a computer to new OEM settings; i.e., you will lose all radio settings, trip mileage settings, clock. In addition, it will remove your Personal/Rider PIN.

A good tech will either read the PIN setting before the flash and/or ask you about it and reprogram it for you; however, many have been known to forget this courtesy. So always check that your Personal PIN is still working after any service (especially if you know that a reflash was performed). If it's not there, reprogram it as shown in the manual.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I've been in touch with FM. The ECU flash erases everything the PVCX did and changes the tune compatibility. I need to read the bike again and send the STK file to FM for a new tune to be sent to me, then flash the bike.

That's done, now I wait for the new tune.
How would resetting the ECU back to a "stock" tune effect how the PVCX reflashes the tune?

·
Read Only
6,757 Posts
Gathering tidbits from a few threads, it seams that the Indian reflash will wipe out the PVCX tune AND change the electronic “identity” of the bike requiring you to download a new base setting from the bike and send to the tune provider to be able to download a new custom tune. Polaris’s way of fucking with you...at least a little.

·
Bronze member
1,943 Posts
When mating a PCVX to a bike, you create the PVinfo file and send it to FM or DJ. This contains the serial of the ECM and the checksum of the software installed. FM then spoofs the checksum into the maps they send you. A new version of ECM firmware will always have a new checksum (like Parity to make sure the file is not corrupt). After this ECM reflash, you need to install the PCVX, create a new PVinfo file and upload it to FM. They will reswizzle the maps and send it back. Then the PV can reflash the map.
Actually its DJ that's $crewing with you so you cannot use the tuning device on more than one bike.

·
Read Only
6,757 Posts
At least DJ is up front about the fact that this device, the PVCX, is designated for a single bike use. Indian when they reflash your bike install a different signature and feel they are under no obligation to notify you..,thank goodness the tune providers are willing to work with their customers and keep them well tuned.

·
Bronze member
5,057 Posts
The PC5 sits between the ECU and the motor and makes changes to fueling and timing that the ECU doesn't know about. It will make the same changes to the ECU signals after the reflash as it did before. If the reflash has changed the ECU's fuel and timing tables then the motor will experience that change with the PC5.

You might or might not notice any change but it also might not be the most efficient engine management. (Lots of might in there)

I suspect that the reflash does not make significant changes to the fuel and timing tables as these are set to fit into anti-pollution regs. With that in mind the PC5 tune will not be affected very much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Many thanks Sir .... I thought/hoped that would be the case My bikes in the shop for the recall and mid rise bars early March so I'll find out if there's any real change to the ECU mapping after that. I'l report what I find for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.