Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Make quick

-1100 miles
  • going up a dirt steep hill
  • no gear , not any gear at all
  • clutch cable tight all the way through
  • put in first gear , release clutch - won’t move

Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
?? Dang.
Turn OFF TC (Traction Control) …lower center Settings button.

Clutch cable freeplay set correct, 1.0 - 2.0mm (manual says 0.5 - 1.5mm, but very common to hear riders say clutch works better at 1.5-2.0 )
IF cable is too tight, no freeplay = problems.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Cable sounds to tight,always keeping clutch slightly disengaged.You should have some lever movement before you feel the cable tightening.Check it down at the primary cover end should be able to lightly move the cable with lever out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dealer called - clutch fried
Going to be honest here. I have a lemon , crappy , piece of garbage bike . Owned the scout and roadmaster before i bought the challenger . This bike has been in the shop more then me riding it . Lost the later part of last year with issues and no different this year.

Ajax Apexcycle is a pain to deal with from the sales bs to the scratches on my bike and broken single housing . There waiting on parts for over a week now.

Called Polaris and they told me that the dealer needs to request a replacement and fill out questions . Had to call Apexcycle or they just procrastinate AND they still haven’t filled out the form request .

Called Polaris back and they said they will get back to me by the end of the day - they never called .

Only has 725 miles !

What a piece of junk .

·
Founding member
1,193 Posts
Sucks to hear you’re having such bad luck with this bike. Kind of a gamble getting first year bikes, but hopefully they will make it right.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,391 Posts
There is that and the fact that his dealer totally sucks. Unless he can find another dealer to help him he's screwed it seems.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
There is that and the fact that his dealer totally sucks. Unless he can find another dealer to help him he's screwed it seems.
Apex cycle really sucks . When i got the bike new, it would shut off when riding . They had it for 3 weeks then ended up flashing it to solve the issue - only to return it with scratched handle bars and broken signal housing .

·
Bronze member
2,705 Posts
Going to be honest here. I have a lemon , crappy , piece of garbage bike . Owned the scout and roadmaster before i bought the challenger . This bike has been in the shop more then me riding it . Lost the later part of last year with issues and no different this year.

Ajax Apexcycle is a pain to deal with from the sales bs to the scratches on my bike and broken single housing . There waiting on parts for over a week now.

Called Polaris and they told me that the dealer needs to request a replacement and fill out questions . Had to call Apexcycle or they just procrastinate AND they still haven’t filled out the form request .

Called Polaris back and they said they will get back to me by the end of the day - they never called .

Only has 725 miles !

What a piece of junk .
It seems like your bike would be fine if the dealer had prepped it correctly before selling it. Sounds like they uncrated it, did no Pre-Delivery Inspection, and sold it to you with the clutch not adjusted properly. I’m going to speculate this is a multi-brand dealer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems like your bike would be fine if the dealer had prepped it correctly before selling it. Sounds like they uncrated it, did no Pre-Delivery Inspection, and sold it to you with the clutch not adjusted properly. I’m going to speculate this is a multi-brand dealer.
Wouldn’t be surprised for the clutch issue .

When i first got it , it stalled at virtually every stop. They had it for three weeks until they got a ‘fix’ by flashing the bike to think it had the upgraded performance intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i don’t get it at all. Bike broke down 14 days ago . Took dealer 4 days to pick it up. There waiting for parts ? I would be fired if I didn’t expedite parts overnight with my customers .

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,496 Posts
i don’t get it at all. Bike broke down 14 days ago . Took dealer 4 days to pick it up. There waiting for parts ? I would be fired if I didn’t expedite parts overnight with my customers .
I was a parts mgr at a Saturn dealership and we had free reign to overnight parts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This thing has been in the shop so many times . They fixed the clutch and parts were covered but not labour ?

Called Polaris and spoke to Zack who tries to sell me on how ‘great new, bikes fixed and we will cover the parts for you as compensation even though it’s a wearable part !”

….what ? bike has 700 miles on it .

“ Glad we could help you , if there’s anything else ?”

What a joke .

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Last Indian I will buy . This thing has been in the shop so many times . They fixed the clutch and parts were covered but not labour ?

Called Polaris and spoke to Zack who tries to sell me on how ‘great new, bikes fixed and we will cover the parts for you as compensation even though it’s a wearable part !”

….what ? bike has 700 miles on it .

“ Glad we could help you , if there’s anything else ?”

What a joke .
So you're telling us that you burned up the clutch (which under the rules of every manufacturer is a normal service wear part not covered under warranty) by slipping it while trying to ride a heavy road bike up a steep dirt hill, and are insulted because the dealer and manufacturer wouldn't repair it completely free. I'd say you were fortunate that they covered the parts, and should be thankful to them for that. I agree that it sounds like you have had a less than optimal experience with the dealership you deal with on other occasions, but this particular event seems to me like they did you OK. Some folks won't agree, but it is what it is.

·
Silver member
5,103 Posts
Sounds to me like your clutch cable was way to tight. That bike has the assist clutch, so it needs 1-1.5mm of free play to work correctly.

I feel you pain, but I would also like to understand what a "steep dirt hill" means. Gravel, no gravel, no pavement? It's not a trail bike.

You are the first one to complain of clutch issues on the Challenger that I have seen to date...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bingo . The head mechanic apologized and figured it may have been the initial setup or most likely bugged up from Indian .

I miss my roadmaster for it’s reliability. What a mistake

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Make quick

-1100 miles
  • going up a dirt steep hill
  • no gear , not any gear at all
  • clutch cable tight all the way through
  • put in first gear , release clutch - won’t move

Thanks
Same thing happened to me, kinda. I was up shifting from 1st to 2nd, and lost the drive to the wheel. I stripped the teeth off the drive sprocket. That was 10 days ago. Should get bike back today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I feel you pain, but I would also like to understand what a "steep dirt hill" means. Gravel, no gravel, no pavement? It's not a trail bike.

You are the first one to complain of clutch issues on the Challenger that I have seen to date...
Not a trail bike? I guess neither my Challenger or my Victory got that memo. Motorcycles built off of bicycle frames with zero suspension used to cross the country all of the time and we didn't even paved roads back then. Is taking a nearly 800lbs bagger across two track dirt roads ideal? No, but they're more than capable of going down halfway maintained dirt roads.

And for the record, I've seen a few people complain about clutch issues. I think a lot of it has been from the cable being too tight, causing it to slip and wear out prematurely. I have seen at least two people that had a catastrophic failure of the clutch basket too though.

·
Silver member
5,103 Posts
I wasn't saying they can't go on dirt. He said, "dirt steep hill; not road or trail.

I rode my Springfield across Highway 14 two summers ago. At the top of the mountains in Wyoming there was no more road. They were repairing it. So it was 15 miles of ruts, dirt, dust etc. You're right. Not ideal, but no too difficult either.

The bike handled it just fine. I was only asking what steep dirt hill mean't? That could imply road, trail, who knows. It also could imply overuse of the clutch or working the clutch really hard....

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
- deleted / personal attack
I am not joking. Checking clutch adjustment is and always has been owners responsibility, just like tire pressure. Slipping and burning up a clutch for any reason is almost never a warrantable failure for any OEM. Just my perspective from a lifetime of professional wrenching is all. Like I said, some will disagree, but it is my opinion and I was trying to provide a different perspective.

Oh yeah, telling someone to **** off because they expressed an opinion that you don't like is a pretty low rent move, and I'll wager you wouldn't seriously do that in a face to face conversation, so why do it here? It really wasn't needed at all.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts