Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rider
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my chieftain for 3 years now and have recently got the itch for something new. Looking at trading the 15 chieftain for an 18 Springfield dark horse, what are yall’s thoughts?

The dealership has made me an offer with swapping my must keep parts over to the new one ( slip ons and air cleaner) and walking out the door not paying a dime more than I was.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, Id say that depends on what you still owe, but sounds like a fairly nice trade-off since you've got 'the itch'.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think that's reasonable.

·
Registered
288 Posts
They are going to pay it off and I’ll break even

Well, you’re not actually breaking even. You might have the same payment each month, but you now have to pay off the entire bike, whereas, on your 2015, you would be making that payment for only a few years more.

Essentially, you have invested a few years worth of payments into a depreciating asset. Now, that asset is older, so if you really WANT new iron, and they won’t give you more than you owe on the 2015, having the same payment each month might be a good deal for you.

I had bought a used HD Ultra Classic, and had a small $209 per month payment for four years. 10 months after I bought it, having spent way too much on repairs and customization, I traded it in for my Roadmaster. Indian gave me what I owed on the bike ($9,500) and I put down $11K on the 2017 RM, which made my payment $330 per month for SIX years. BUT, that is with a full 7 year warranty, and 6 services prepaid. For me, that was worth it to put me in the bike I have always wanted... an Indian!

·
Rider
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In reality, by them paying off the balance of the old one it’s no different than if I’m going in and buying the new one like I never had one to begin with.

·
Registered
288 Posts
In reality, by them paying off the balance of the old one it’s no different than if I’m going in and buying the new one like I never had one to begin with.

Depends. Let's say you put $3,000 down when you bought your old bike. Now, you pay for it monthly (almost as if you're leasing or renting it), and go to trade it in. They give you what you owe on it. So, now, you're starting from scratch with a brand new bike... where's the $3,000 (or more) required for a downpayment and taxes going to come from? Sure, they can roll it into the payment... but you're paying, one way or the other - I guaranteed it!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I’ve had my chieftain for 3 years now and have recently got the itch for something new. Looking at trading the 15 chieftain for an 18 Springfield dark horse, what are yall’s thoughts?

The dealership has made me an offer with swapping my must keep parts over to the new one ( slip ons and air cleaner) and walking out the door not paying a dime more than I was.
If you want it, buy it!!

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Maybe, but does any of the pay-off cost get added to your loan amount? Sales people can juggle numbers around and fool buyers into thinking they are getting something for nothing when they really aren't getting anything. Don't ask me how I know this.
JonR, make sure you check the Finance Agreement, normally line #2 and line #4 on page 2 of the Law553 Finance Agreement is where you'll find "payments to others". As reinie indicated, sometimes the Finance guys will roll in negative equity onto your new loan.

If there is no negative equity rolled into your Loan, I'd say DO IT!!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I almost did that back in January but the thought of starting over on payments stopped me. My payments are cheap And I could occasionally double up but man I feel like it's a big step back. But you have to be happy with what your paying for.

·
Read Only
561 Posts
If you are looking for financial stability invest in the market. If you are looking for freedom, fun and stress relief, buy an Indian.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Unpopular opinion, I guess, but Black is boring.

But, if you want it, and can afford it, but it.

It might be worth looking into selling your old bike, then going in and buying the new one rather than trading it in.

You’re almost always money ahead that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts