Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Early joiner
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what metal composition are the outer primary covers on our bikes. Is it aluminum? Can they be welded? I had a leak coming through my primary cover (maybe a hairline crack)and tried epoxy, unfortunately it didn't work for long. I'm thinking of pulling it off and getting a few weld beads on the inside of the primary where the leaking appears to be.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Probably aluminum under the chrome.

Reactions: CWG

·
Bronze member
1,242 Posts
It's aluminum and it can be welded, but the weld won't tolerate any impurities. Any oil or expoxy in the area of the weld has to be gone. If it's welded on the inside, the chrome on the exterior will be damaged.

·
Bronze member
2,102 Posts
What kind of epoxy did you use? If you thoroughly clean the inside area and hit it with a wire brush and then clean it again with acetone JB Weld should do the job.

Reactions: CWG and Massimo

·
Early joiner
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's aluminum and it can be welded, but the weld won't tolerate any impurities. Any oil or expoxy in the area of the weld has to be gone. If it's welded on the inside, the chrome on the exterior will be damaged.
Sounds like I have a decision to make. Oil leak or blemish. Tha
Yes maybe I'll pull it off again and try JB weld this time.

·
Silver member
5,306 Posts
What does Indian want for a new one?

Reactions: CWG

·
Early joiner
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I
What kind of epoxy did you use? If you thoroughly clean the inside area and hit it with a wire brush and then clean it again with acetone JB Weld should do the job.
I tried peramatex, guess I'll try JB weld this time

·
Silver member
5,306 Posts
545.00 if it is the main cover. The derby and inspection covers are about 200.00 each.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Just for the heck of it I put a fairly strong magnet to mine. There was a very slight pull to it. Probably the chrome or steel parts behind the case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts