Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Indian's site their "Thunderstroke High Flow Air Cleaner" does NOT fit on the Roadmaster. Does Indian or anyone else make one that does? I'm planning to have the Indian Stage 1 fishtails put on before purchase, and there's no point in better exhaust without better intake!

·
Registered
391 Posts
The Indian Air Cleaner will fit. I read somewhere that it is because the stock air cleaner base "duct" for the rear cylinder won't work with the thunderstroke high flow air cleaner. With the Thunderstroke High Flow Air Cleaner installed enough air get around the smaller filter assembly that you don't need the "duct". I do have the Indian AC and I'm very happy with it.
Indian Air Cleaner 2.JPG

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm - ok. Interesting!

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
The S & S Air Cleaner Kit will also fit. Removing the stock AC leaves a channel through the frame backbone that draws fresh air in and pushes it out under the tank and between the cylinders on the AC side. It seems that the open air channel and the smaller footprint of aftermarket AC Kits will allow plenty of airflow to the rear cylinder.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Though, bluedawg, that doesn't look like a Roadmaster - it's not available in the Blue, I thought.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
Though, bluedawg, that doesn't look like a Roadmaster - it's not available in the Blue, I thought.
I spoke with the Polaris tech reps on this. Physically it will bolt and work on any 111 TS engine. The reason they do not recommend this on the RM is the removal of the base of the stock air cleaner. The 15 air cleaner base has ducting to help with cooling on the back cylinder. This only becomes an issue on the RM because of the leg fairings restricting the airflow to the aft cylinder. If you remove the leg fairings then there would be no issue using the high flow air cleaners. Personally I am not going to take any chances on this while I am under warranty. I do have the stage 1 exhaust and will wait for either the Lloyds air cleaner that will still use the stock base or wait for K and N to come out with a filter for the stock assy. Then add the Indian programming to add the map for the air cleaner.

Some will say that if you add a programmer and richen up the mixture with the high flow air cleaner that this will help the cooling of the aft cylinder. I believe this is true but I would worry about the effects on the catalytic converter in the long term. Lloyds is also working on some baffling to help cooling of the aft cylinder. So at this point I am simply waiting to see who comes out with what and what works for the RM. I would not hesitate on the stage 1 exhaust. It is a nice addition to the bike. I love the throaty sound it makes. Not too loud for a touring bike. If I want to get crazy about exhaust sound I will jump back on my VN2000 with the Freedom exhaust and go for a spin around town. Dean E

·
Registered
321 Posts
I spoke with the Polaris tech reps on this. Physically it will bolt and work on any 111 TS engine. The reason they do not recommend this on the RM is the removal of the base of the stock air cleaner. The 15 air cleaner base has ducting to help with cooling on the back cylinder. This only becomes an issue on the RM because of the leg fairings restricting the airflow to the aft cylinder. If you remove the leg fairings then there would be no issue using the high flow air cleaners. Personally I am not going to take any chances on this while I am under warranty. I do have the stage 1 exhaust and will wait for either the Lloyds air cleaner that will still use the stock base or wait for K and N to come out with a filter for the stock assy. Then add the Indian programming to add the map for the air cleaner.

Some will say that if you add a programmer and richen up the mixture with the high flow air cleaner that this will help the cooling of the aft cylinder. I believe this is true but I would worry about the effects on the catalytic converter in the long term. Lloyds is also working on some baffling to help cooling of the aft cylinder. So at this point I am simply waiting to see who comes out with what and what works for the RM. I would not hesitate on the stage 1 exhaust. It is a nice addition to the bike. I love the throaty sound it makes. Not too loud for a touring bike. If I want to get crazy about exhaust sound I will jump back on my VN2000 with the Freedom exhaust and go for a spin around town. Dean E
Dean E,I have the Thunder Stroke High Flow on order.The accessory catalog says it will fit the Roadmaster.My salesman didn't say anything either .What do you think?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Dean E,I have the Thunder Stroke High Flow on order.The accessory catalog says it will fit the Roadmaster.My salesman didn't say anything either .What do you think?
I have the same air cleaner on order. All the duct does is route air from the front of the stock air cleaner to the back. The stock air cleaner base plate is quite large (see part 7 below, you can see the duct on the bottom there), so it needs the duct to get air to the back. The High Flow air cleaner doesn't have that big area, and I would venture to say it's going to do better than the duct, but I have no proof.

As far as warranty goes, it's still an Indian part, it's on their website as a RM accessory, and they support it with a tune change. That's one reason I went with Indian slip-ons and the Indian air cleaner. If something goes south they can only blame themselves.

I'll try to get an IR reading of the back fins before and after the install....if the the air cleaner ever arrives.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, that base plate is HUGE.

·
3,682 Posts
I also had the air cleaner on order with mine. I have not seen the accessory catalog but on the website when you customize your bike and you add the air cleaner the very bottom of the discription listed "Not for MY15 Roadmaster". I agree with PakRat the back of the stock filter does look to block alot of flow to the back cylinder. It may be that Indian did not test this arrangement on the RM and are being cautious. I do agree with them that with the leg fairings there would be less airflow to the back cylinder, but being I just plucked down roughly 30K for a new bike I will let someone else be the guinea pig on this. This is why I call Polaris on this to explain. They surely could have done a much better job of explaining this in the catalog and website. At this point I am in no hurry and will wait and see. I can always add it later. Dean E

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have the same air cleaner on order. All the duct does is route air from the front of the stock air cleaner to the back. The stock air cleaner base plate is quite large (see part 7 below, you can see the duct on the bottom there), so it needs the duct to get air to the back. The High Flow air cleaner doesn't have that big area, and I would venture to say it's going to do better than the duct, but I have no proof.

As far as warranty goes, it's still an Indian part, it's on their website as a RM accessory, and they support it with a tune change. That's one reason I went with Indian slip-ons and the Indian air cleaner. If something goes south they can only blame themselves.

I'll try to get an IR reading of the back fins before and after the install....if the the air cleaner ever arrives.
Thanks PakRat,I assumed too that it wouldn't effect the warranty.We will have to see how the cooling goes.I'am going to wait a bit on the slip ons.Years ago I lived in Arvarda and Thorton.Worked out of Pipefiters L.U. 208 Denver .Was out that way for skiing and great night life.

·
3,682 Posts
I heard from dealer that air duct should be offed as an accessory add on soon for the 14s
Yeap I heard the same thing. Standard on all 2015s and an option for the 2014s. Dean

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I heard from dealer that air duct should be offed as an accessory add on soon for the 14s
I would think you could just order the 2015 part and slap it on. The 2015 part is 5415270, $59.99.

Everything seems to be back ordered right now though, even my dealer was complaining about it to their Indian rep.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FWIW, my dealer didn't even mention an issue with the Indian S1 A/C. They installed it, it looks good, and I like the slightly improved performance that the S1 pipes + A/C give me over stock. Not to mention the sound of the pipes. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ordered the 2015 A/C base plate from my dealer in Fresno CA, it arrived two weeks later. Then I installed it myself. Thought it couldn't hurt to give the rear cylinder more air flow for cooling on my 2014 Chieftain.
There is a ride up I posted on the topic "What have you done to your Indian today" at page 5.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is the Indian AC a cleanable element ? I am planing to get one soon and I can't find any cleaning instructions on the internet.
Thanks
Jerry

·
Registered
853 Posts
I put the Wimmer on my RM and it does not have the duct but I feel that the big air duct in the frame will allow at least the same amount of air to the rear cylinder when left open as the little duct. Also with the smaller size of the air filter (same size as Indian one) there is more open space for cooling. I figure that duct will only work when moving and there are plenty of folks on here that have shared stories about engine heat in traffic and how the bike handled it just fine and that duct would do nothing in stop and go at speeds under 10 mph so without it at highway speeds would still have to be cooler than that. Here's to hoping there will be no warranty issues.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts