Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Indian Scout
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been very pleasantly surprised by my 2018 Indian Scout and the MPG I have been getting. Two weeks ago, we took a trip to Cuyahoga State Park, riding two lane roads at a maximum 55-60 mph. I recorded almost 65 mpg on the trip there and back, round trip of 250+ miles. 135 miles and the low fuel light hadn’t came on, so I filled up and it was just over 2 gallons. Pretty decent! This was with the stock mufflers with the first baffle drilled with a 3/4” hole saw. Now, I have the Freedom performance slip on mufflers, and riding at a brisk pace, (65-80mph) I am still getting 55+mpg.
So what are you all getting for mileage? 🤔😁
Charlie

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got about 54 mpg on mountain roads, mainly 2nd to 4th gears.

Reactions: Charlie Chaplain

·
Registered
512 Posts
I was getting a little better than 60 mpg stock. I replaced the stock mufflers with dean speed rampages and a factory stage one tune and now I'm getting 55 mpg. Sometimes a little better, sometimes 54 mpg. Depends on the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You guys are getting great mileage. I was getting 47 MPG average in the 2021 riding season and in 2022 I am getting an average of 45.8 MPG.

This is a stock Scout 69 Icon with a windscreen. I actually started to get better gas mileage after adding the windscreen. Maybe it was because I started doing more highway after the windscreen was added.

What can I do to get better mileage? I am filling with 93 octane. Should I use 91?

·
Registered
282 Posts
All the bikes are the same. MPG is basically a function of riding conditions. Long rides at 55 mph will get high mpg, rides at 70 or 80 mph will get lower mpg. A lot of start / stop riding will also lower the mpg. A lot of hills will affect it. Wind, etc. Octane doesn't matter to MPG, as long as you are using the minimum octane recommended. Using higher than the minimum recommended only wastes money. Anyways, all the bikes are the same, and in the same riding situation will get the same MPG. Assuming they are broken in.

Edit: Ethanol versus non-ethanol matters a little, but since non-ethanol costs more, it is usually more expensive per mile.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been very pleasantly surprised by my 2018 Indian Scout and the MPG I have been getting. Two weeks ago, we took a trip to Cuyahoga State Park, riding two lane roads at a maximum 55-60 mph. I recorded almost 65 mpg on the trip there and back, round trip of 250+ miles. 135 miles and the low fuel light hadn’t came on, so I filled up and it was just over 2 gallons. Pretty decent! This was with the stock mufflers with the first baffle drilled with a 3/4” hole saw. Now, I have the Freedom performance slip on mufflers, and riding at a brisk pace, (65-80mph) I am still getting 55+mpg.
So what are you all getting for mileage? 🤔😁
Charlie
2021 RMDH. Just took a trip to NH from NC with a 116 and averaged 54 mpg

·
Registered
2021 indian Scout Bobber Twenty
326 Posts
Last week I rode from Idaho Falls to the Durango Rendezvous over a variety of road conditions. I averaged around 70mph and got 50+ mpg on my 2021 Scout Bobber Twenty. It was a fantastic ride, although the event could have been much better. Ride safe--wish you all the best!

Reactions: Charlie Chaplain

·
Registered
2018 Indian Scout
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Y'all are getting better mpg than me. Have an S&S open intake, TBR 2into1 header and power commander. Doubt I'm getting over 35, but I'm having a great time!!
I’ll bet you are lol… I’m looking at the S&S intake kit myself, but I will,run the new air filter I got and then get the S&S this fall.
Charlie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts