Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Silver member
5,304 Posts
Cheap insurance... I'd replace the tire, butt that's just me. But I'd prolly keep riding 'till the new tire arrived.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I had a partial thickness puncture as well. It went straight in, but was a very short screw. I kept a close watch on the psi for a few days, and that was 10,000 miles ago. FYI

Reactions: McGee

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd flood it with super glue and press it hard with something firm for 30 seconds or so, a handle of a hammer or screwdriver would be fine.
Super glue is superb at joining rubbers, if you want to test this, cut a rubber band and rejoin its' ends using a drop of super glue, wait 20 seconds to allow it to partially cure then stretch it, you may be surprised....

·
Silver member
5,304 Posts
I'd flood it with super glue and press it hard with something firm for 30 seconds or so, a handle of a hammer or screwdriver would be fine.
Super glue is superb at joining rubbers, if you want to test this, cut a rubber band and rejoin its' ends using a drop of super glue, wait 20 seconds to allow it to partially cure then stretch it, you may be surprised....
Tires flex and super glue isn't flexible, at least no brand of it that I'm aware of. If I were in the OPs situation and wanted to fill the void, I'd go with some kind of silicone. Maybe the black RV type or something similar would work? Or maybe just shove a tire plug in the hole and trim it off. Either or, I'd replace the tire as soon as I could.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you unscrew it successfully, I'd inject some kind of rubber compound or something into the hole to rebind the tire

·
Registered
2018 Indian Motorcycle Scout Bobber Star Silver Smoke
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Tires flex and super glue isn't flexible, at least no brand of it that I'm aware of. If I were in the OPs situation and wanted to fill the void, I'd go with some kind of silicone. Maybe the black RV type or something similar would work? Or maybe just shove a tire plug in the hole and trim it off. Either or, I'd replace the tire as soon as I could.
I talked to the guy at my local shop and sent photos - they have always been honest and fair with me (they've taken care of my Daytona for years and I bought my Scout there). He told me "it looks to me like it is in a rather benign location, but I am not allowed to tell you it is safe to ride on; we always recommend replacing the tire" I can totally understand, they need to protect their business. So the service guy is going to call me today with a price on a new tire, and I do think I will go ahead and replace it; as many of you have commented, it is "cheap insurance". In the meantime (since I am sure it will take a while to get the new tire), I am going pick up a tube of vulcanizing rubber gel (the stuff used for patches and plugs), and avoid freeway speeds and mountain twisties. Better to be safe than wealthy ;)

·
Silver member
5,304 Posts
I talked to the guy at my local shop and sent photos - they have always been honest and fair with me (they've taken care of my Daytona for years and I bought my Scout there). He told me "it looks to me like it is in a rather benign location, but I am not allowed to tell you it is safe to ride on; we always recommend replacing the tire" I can totally understand, they need to protect their business. So the service guy is going to call me today with a price on a new tire, and I do think I will go ahead and replace it; as many of you have commented, it is "cheap insurance". In the meantime (since I am sure it will take a while to get the new tire), I am going pick up a tube of vulcanizing rubber gel (the stuff used for patches and plugs), and avoid freeway speeds and mountain twisties. Better to be safe than wealthy ;)
Common sense prevails (y) If it were me/mine riding as is, the tire would be on my mind every time I hit the road.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
811 Posts
I never take any chances with tires. If I have to ask myself a question about its safety off it goes. 200-300 dollars, or a wheel chair, let me think. Enough shit can go wrong when operating your bike under perfect conditions. Why chance it?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Tires flex and super glue isn't flexible, at least no brand of it that I'm aware of....
Ah, well, be educated. Super glue when thin is very flexible, as an example 'O' ring kits are available to make 'O' rings out of rubber cord and the joint is made using super glue. I'm calling cyanoacrylate adhesive super glue, just to be clear.

I've repaired a number of tyres using it and never a failure.

It's similar to fibreglass being used in flexible plastic composites where it's flexible and load bearing but you'd not expect a sheet of glass to have similar characteristics.

·
Silver member
5,304 Posts
Ah, well, be educated. Super glue when thin is very flexible, as an example 'O' ring kits are available to make 'O' rings out of rubber cord and the joint is made using super glue. I'm calling cyanoacrylate adhesive super glue, just to be clear.

I've repaired a number of tyres using it and never a failure.

It's similar to fibreglass being used in flexible plastic composites where it's flexible and load bearing but you'd not expect a sheet of glass to have similar characteristics.
Thanks muchly for the, ah, education :giggle: And hey, you may be absolutely right. But I've used superglue in situations where flex is needed, and it didn't go as well as I had hoped, or thought. Regardless, I believe a vulcanizing product, and maybe a bit of prep along with a proper sized plug (small enough to only to fill in the screw hole, fill the void, if there is a hole or void left after screw removal) would be the best way to go for the temporary solution she's after. All considered, I believe McGee is following the right path. She's a thinker (y)

Reactions: Big Dawg and McGee

·
Registered
2018 Indian Motorcycle Scout Bobber Star Silver Smoke
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Your new tire is sitting on a barge. Give that idiot Biden a call
My Dunlops are Made in the USA, and the shop has one all ready for me. I have zero complaint with the current administration... saw today that the LA ports are going to 24/7, so that should help the imports, too.

I won't try to blame my damaged tire on politics of either side... the screw was silver, not red, blue or even purple ;) The reasons for the current supply chain problems are complex, and not solely due to politics, either. I tend to take the Taoist approach to it all... it is what it is, it will be what we make it, and complaining will not solve it.

·
Registered
2001 Indian Scout “Flaming Arrow”
79 Posts
Any sidewall piercing warrants a new tire period! This one is too deep to roll the dice on-just change it!
Be safe, the consequences of a blowout far outweigh the cost of a new tire...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts