Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Indian Motorcycle Scout Bobber Star Silver Smoke
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope you can find a new tire in this environment.
me too. I've been waiting a couple months for new shoes for my Daytona. My Scout here has less than 2000 miles on these :(

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,171 Posts
Could be worse, but still not a good thing 😕
View attachment 652339
This tire could still be OK. Take the screw out and with a screw driver pry the hole up a bit to see if you find any cord showing. With the screw going thru the raised ridge of the tire you could likely find that this is only rubber and not into any cord. If that is the case you would be fine to keep going. If you are still not comfortable riding that way then change the tire out but as long as the cord was not damage I would have no issues continuing on. Dean

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This tire could still be OK. Take the screw out and with a screw driver pry the hole up a bit to see if you find any cord showing. With the screw going thru the raised ridge of the tire you could likely find that this is only rubber and not into any cord. If that is the case you would be fine to keep going. If you are still not comfortable riding that way then change the tire out but as long as the cord was not damage I would have no issues continuing on. Dean
I pulled it out, and it's hard to tell, but I think I can see a spot of the cord; might've gone in right alongside it. Tire pressure hadn't dropped with the screw in (it must've happened over a week ago; I just got back into town, and didn't notice it on my pre-ride inspection over seven days ago). Luckily, my shop is only six miles away; I'll run it up there and have them give me an opinion.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,171 Posts
I pulled it out, and it's hard to tell, but I think I can see a spot of the cord; might've gone in right alongside it. Tire pressure hadn't dropped with the screw in (it must've happened over a week ago; I just got back into town, and didn't notice it on my pre-ride inspection over seven days ago). Luckily, my shop is only six miles away; I'll run it up there and have them give me an opinion.
Most shops will go ahead and tell you to change the tire because of liability issues. If you are lucky you can find some honest ones that will give you an honest assessment. If you were out in the Omaha area I would take a look for ya. Dean

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most shops will go ahead and tell you to change the tire because of liability issues. If you are lucky you can find some honest ones that will give you an honest assessment. If you were out in the Omaha area I would take a look for ya. Dean
LOL - I was actually considering a long ride to my house in Omaha (working on it in hopes of putting it on the market in a few months)... but obviously I should take care of the tire issue before I ride 500mi on the interstate from my Denver home! Thanks for the offer, though!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool picture though🙄
I've often considered getting another piercing, maybe a daith or some other industrial... but I was thinking about my ear lobe, not the Scout's rear tire! :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts