Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You read that right, we have a 2015 Scout that has reached 100 HP (like it was originally claimed by Polaris to have done stock ;) ).

Though, I say we, it was actually a fellow I know that's in my neck of the woods down here in Middle TN, I unfortunately do not get to claim that feat.

After the addition of a Trask Performance Intake, Hacker Mayhem Exhaust, and a Power Commander V with a custom tune (each cylinder) it officially put 103.5 WHP.

Hot diggity, it makes me excited to get my Hartzell Intake and PCV on.

As far as I have heard, this is the first scout to break through that number! (At least that has been publicly announced)

·
Founding Member
401 Posts
Uh, congratulations? I am not a speed freak but by chance I hit 100 yesterday on my Classic...and did not even know it until I glanced down at the speedometer. I knew I was accelerating past a left hand lane cager on Rte. 64, you know the ones that decide that the fastest the left lane should do is 64 MPH and has a line of 5 cars behind it and then sit next to a person in the right hand lane doing the same exact speed...grrrrr.

At any rate, I did not really enjoy that speed surprise but the bike had more to go if I needed it. As I passed the left lane hanger, she was happily chatting on the phone, I am sure it was important....

Be safe, ride safe.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Uh, congratulations? I am not a speed freak but by chance I hit 100 yesterday on my Classic...and did not even know it until I glanced down at the speedometer. I knew I was accelerating past a left hand lane cager on Rte. 64, you know the ones that decide that the fastest the left lane should do is 64 MPH and has a line of 5 cars behind it and then sit next to a person in the right hand lane doing the same exact speed...grrrrr.

At any rate, I did not really enjoy that speed surprise but the bike had more to go if I needed it. As I passed the left lane hanger, she was happily chatting on the phone, I am sure it was important....

Be safe, ride safe.
I don't know much about this stuff either, but I don't think they are talking about speed. I think they are talking about power output - horsepower (hp)????? I am sure any Scout can hit 100 mph easy!! I got mine up to 75 and it was just cruising along!

·
Rider
975 Posts
You read that right, we have a 2015 Scout that has reached 100 HP (like it was originally claimed by Polaris to have done stock ;) ).

Though, I say we, it was actually a fellow I know that's in my neck of the woods down here in Middle TN, I unfortunately do not get to claim that feat.

After the addition of a Trask Performance Intake, Hacker Mayhem Exhaust, and a Power Commander V with a custom tune (each cylinder) it officially put 103.5 WHP.

Hot diggity, it makes me excited to get my Hartzell Intake and PCV on.

As far as I have heard, this is the first scout to break through that number! (At least that has been publicly announced)

Cool...but is this at the crank or the rear wheel??? And can you provide any details on the Hartzell intake?? Thanks - JJ

Reactions: Mikedmeister

·
Registered
882 Posts
Indian claims the Scout comes with 100 HP. I don't believe their claim nor this one.
The factory quotes HP at the crank, not at the rear wheel. No manufacturers quotes rear wheel HP.

There's anywhere from a 10% to 20% drop in power between the crank and the rear wheel on all bikes / cars depending on drive train.

Congrats on breaking the 100rwhp mark.

BTW, Lloyd is working on a package for the Octane that will translate to the Scout. His kit is putting down 108rwhp on an Octane and it should pull pretty close to that on a Scout.

·
Registered
882 Posts
OK, but I still wouldn't believe 85hp stock out of that engine. It must be magical.
Mid 80's at the wheel on a bone stock bike has been well documented. I believe 86rwhp is the average most see so there's no magic.

Have you even ridden the bike outside of a demo and twisted it past 5000 rpm?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Yup... The Scout really starts to get its giddyup once spinning 5500+ rpm

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts

Be safe, ride safe.
Horsepower not speed but no matter be safe ride safe trumps all.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Yup... The Scout really starts to get its giddyup once spinning 5500+ rpm
After 4K miles I have been using the higher RPM range more often. What a rush to feel the Scout's "pull of power" in the 6-7K RPM zone. King of the Road!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Be safe, ride safe.
Biffy Bullfrog insists on chiming in here with this important reminder:

I have no clue what to do in a practical sense with more horses; but it's fun to hobby around with engines nonetheless. It's like any other farkles. Biffy pictured above has got north of sixty farkles, and yet I just installed a new one last week. Tennessee may be birthplace of the next Burt Munro, for all we know. What else does this guy have planned next? Does he say?

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,321 Posts
Well Maybe KevinX is a Magician but this is a the Scout with Xchopper Slip Ons nothing else added the difference is what a PCV can do with Torque on the Lower End if know how to read a Dyno Sheet .. This is not some Hype from advertising I saw this done ..

·
Registered
152 Posts
We hit 99 RWHP with just RPW Slip-ons, the Arlen Ness Torque Box, and the EJK Gen 3 with standard programming. The lower line is RPW Slip-ons and the EJK. Shouldn't be too hard to break 100 HP with a full exhaust system. The Arlen Ness Torque Box flows some air!

The Torque Box is available from TuningHQ for $150. Further discounts when packaged with an EJK and/or exhaust. PM me for details.

-TuningHQ

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The 103.5 HP was Wheel Horsepower. To me 100 was the goal, and now that goal will be pushed up to 105. Baby steps ;) it's an exciting time when you can really use an engine's full potential.

I'm not sure what he has planned next, however once I get mine tuned I'm hoping to push out maybe one or two more horses at the wheel (closer to 105), and then in time adding performance cams once they become available.

Yes I realize the scout already screams, but to me, having a motorcycle is about making it your own, and part of that is getting everything out of that engine that I can.

As others have said, when you get past 5,500 RPMS, that's when it really comes alive. I mean you know if you've done it, but cruising at 5,500 and then twisting to full throttle will almost peel you off of the seat. And yes, as many already can attest to the scout will do 80 in second gear depending on rider weight when pushed to the rev limiter, and in 3rd gear you'll blow right past 100.

Safe and sound is always the goal/mindset, but I have my scout to push its limits and show the ones I ride with what an Indian can do! Lol

The Hartzell intake uses a conical K&N filter and breather, however has not been released yet (waiting on patents). But in dyno testing has shown a gain in both horsepower and especially torque over the trask.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The 103.5 HP was Wheel Horsepower.

As others have said, when you get past 5,500 RPMS, that's when it really comes alive. I mean you know if you've done it, but cruising at 5,500 and then twisting to full throttle will almost peel you off of the seat. And yes, as many already can attest to the scout will do 80 in second gear depending on rider weight when pushed to the rev limiter, and in 3rd gear you'll blow right past 100.
Sorry - dumb question, isn't 80 in 2nd a wee bit much? I change to 6th at 60 . I use 10 per gear and that's how I switch. Am i missing something here?

....and Sadly I've never seen me go to 5000 RPM - ever. Im prolly way too cautious. :(

·
Registered
748 Posts
Wait till the cam become available, that should give it a nice bump. I need to add a Trask filter to my spring chores.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Sorry - dumb question, isn't 80 in 2nd a wee bit much? I change to 6th at 60 . I use 10 per gear and that's how I switch. Am i missing something here?

....and Sadly I've never seen me go to 5000 RPM - ever. Im prolly way too cautious. :(
If you are riding a Scout then you are doing the motor a disservice. In fact, you are probably setting yourself or the next owner up to end up with an oil burner.

It's ok to short shift the bike around town but you need to open it up every now and then. I'll pull some redline runs when I'm merging onto the freeway or when I'm hustling it through twisties but drop back to 5th or 6th when I get up to speed and am just cruising.

If you haven't experienced this motor above 5000 RPM's your only using half the motor. I have to assume your background is on Harley or other air cooled V-Twin lumps.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts