Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
German Rider
1,678 Posts
Here are the screenshots.....

Screenshot_2021-04-05-19-49-54-607_com.simplemobiletools.gallery_1.jpg

Screenshot_2021-04-05-19-50-18-458_com.simplemobiletools.gallery_1.jpg

Screenshot_2021-04-05-19-50-33-734_com.simplemobiletools.gallery_1_1.jpg

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: masspatriot

·
Bronze member
4,127 Posts
On my 2017 Chieftain, the version 44749 20191017 and unfortunately does not offer the screen pin input. It looks like a different package and a year newer version of the package.

The touch pad input has nothing to do with the Head unit software, it is the latest VCM software that allows the touch pad input. Those you got the gear position sensor recall performed also got he new VCM software update that allows the touch input.

·
Bronze member
1,791 Posts
The touch pad input has nothing to do with the Head unit software, it is the latest VCM software that allows the touch pad input. Those you got the gear position sensor recall performed also got he new VCM software update that allows the touch input.
I had the recall done last November and I didn't get the touchpad update. Do you that to be true for all years with Ride Command?

·
Bronze member
4,127 Posts
I had the recall done last November and I didn't get the touchpad update. Do you that to be true for all years with Ride Command?

Did they replace the gear position sensor and re-flash the VCM or did they just clean it. My bike is a 2018 with the same software rev you have , same Ride command, and when they did the VCM flash with he new sensor, I got the keypad. Others also had the same thing as well.

·
Bronze member
1,791 Posts
Did they replace the gear position sensor and re-flash the VCM or did they just clean it. My bike is a 2018 with the same software rev you have , same Ride command, and when they did the VCM flash with he new sensor, I got the keypad. Others also had the same thing as well.
replaced and flashed or the new type switch would not be registering gears correctly. 2017 here. I'll speak to the service manager this week.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that particular bar. The story of your humiliation is bound to spread far and wide, and no matter which bar you go to, someone will probably be there to point you out as "that's the guy!". :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I wouldn't worry about that particular bar. The story of your humiliation is bound to spread far and wide, and no matter which bar you go to, someone will probably be there to point you out as "that's the guy!".
You're not helping matters whizzbang! :) Actually I exaggerated on the numbers who saw me, prolly more like 10 but I know word travels. I'll go back on my Shovelhead or Guzzi. :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Update: I put a new 2032 battery in my fob, went out and tested it and all seemed good, but turn signal PIN was still lost. So I pulled the side covers, seat and ECU to check my battery terminals. I always worry about shorting the ECU on the + batt terminal but I have placed some tape over the + so help prevent that. Everything was snug but I tightened all three up a bit. The ground strap was probably the least snug, but not loose. By snug I mean I couldn't move the cables by hand so I don't think they were loose enough to cause trouble but not sure. Glad I checked them though. Took it for a 30 mi ride last night (with fob) and all seemed well, but my turn signal personal PIN is gone. Will dig out my papers and re-program that today. Thanks for the advice and moral support! :) PS: I still really enjoy looking at and riding that big bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Finally nice here in Iowa. I planned ahead, had the battery tender on my 2014 Chief Vintage. Went out to start it and my turn signal pin wouldn't work. So, found the fob, went out and it started right up. Went for a 50 mi ride to my favorite pub, had an awesome cheeseburger and fries and great conversation with a couple bikers. Time to leave, lots of bikers sitting on the veranda watching the cool red Indian...hit the big black button, dash lit up, pushed starter button, nothing! Tried it 3 more times, dash would light up, all looked good, but no starter. Starting to get nervous w all the people watching me, tried the turn signal push 3 times right, 4 times left, 7 times right, 2 times left...nothing. Pulled the fob out of my pocket, held it over the tank, tried the big black stupid button several more times, dash reads good, no starter. Started moving the fob around, near headlight, by my crotch, finally the starter worked, engine fired up fine, whew. Clicked in gear and the horn honked once, thought I accidently hit the horn while backing the 1193 lb beast out. Took off, 44 harley riders watching me, the horn starts honking quicker and quicker, I kind of knew what might be coming so I accelerated hard to get out of their view, horn honking faster and faster. Got around the corner and the engine died. :( Did some more waving of the fob, finally started again, no horn this time, and I hightailed it for home. I had planned on stopping a few times on the way home but ditched that lame idea. Rode it home 50 miles w no hiccup. I suppose the bike battery voltage got too low over the winter and lost my programmed personal PIN at the turn signal button? Then my fob battery may be old which caused the hard starting and horn honking? Wow, I really like the big push button so I don't have to have one of those cumbersome stupid mechanical keys.
I'm pretty sure you had a fob battery issue. When you got the horn honking you should also have seen the security icon light up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Exactly what I experienced last fall. I thought my bike was truly messed up in someway. I got on these forums, researched about the fob battery dieing, and causing these issues. Changed the battery in my fob and I haven't had an issue since. I have a spare in my windshield bag I think?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Finally nice here in Iowa. I planned ahead, had the battery tender on my 2014 Chief Vintage. Went out to start it and my turn signal pin wouldn't work. So, found the fob, went out and it started right up. Went for a 50 mi ride to my favorite pub, had an awesome cheeseburger and fries and great conversation with a couple bikers. Time to leave, lots of bikers sitting on the veranda watching the cool red Indian...hit the big black button, dash lit up, pushed starter button, nothing! Tried it 3 more times, dash would light up, all looked good, but no starter. Starting to get nervous w all the people watching me, tried the turn signal push 3 times right, 4 times left, 7 times right, 2 times left...nothing. Pulled the fob out of my pocket, held it over the tank, tried the big black stupid button several more times, dash reads good, no starter. Started moving the fob around, near headlight, by my crotch, finally the starter worked, engine fired up fine, whew. Clicked in gear and the horn honked once, thought I accidently hit the horn while backing the 1193 lb beast out. Took off, 44 harley riders watching me, the horn starts honking quicker and quicker, I kind of knew what might be coming so I accelerated hard to get out of their view, horn honking faster and faster. Got around the corner and the engine died. :( Did some more waving of the fob, finally started again, no horn this time, and I hightailed it for home. I had planned on stopping a few times on the way home but ditched that lame idea. Rode it home 50 miles w no hiccup. I suppose the bike battery voltage got too low over the winter and lost my programmed personal PIN at the turn signal button? Then my fob battery may be old which caused the hard starting and horn honking? Wow, I really like the big push button so I don't have to have one of those cumbersome stupid mechanical keys.
Here's another scenario. Have seen several bikers get caught when they went to start their bike after leaving a bar near a rail-way crossing. Nothing happened; bikes wouldn't start. Problem solved. Push the bike 200 yards away from the rail crossing and everything was OK again. Seems that the frequency used by the the rail ways was interfering with the bikes fob as it used the same frequency.

·
Bronze member
2,403 Posts
Then my fob battery may be old which caused the hard starting and horn honking?
Fob battery is what it sounds like. Yeah. BTDT. If you leave your FOB in a spot too close to where you park the bike this will be a regular event. Yearly battery changes for the FOB and an extra FOB are the solution. First time it happened to me on my Springfield I saw the battery indicator lit up on the panel and made it to the nearest dealer (100 miles out of my way) where they informed me that was for the FOB battery NOT the bike battery. Everyone suffers through the embarrassing glitches. It's why we all pitch in to help no matter what brand the guy having trouble is riding.

Reactions: vichmr

·
Registered
107 Posts
Update: I put a new 2032 battery in my fob, went out and tested it and all seemed good, but turn signal PIN was still lost. So I pulled the side covers, seat and ECU to check my battery terminals. I always worry about shorting the ECU on the + batt terminal but I have placed some tape over the + so help prevent that. Everything was snug but I tightened all three up a bit. The ground strap was probably the least snug, but not loose. By snug I mean I couldn't move the cables by hand so I don't think they were loose enough to cause trouble but not sure. Glad I checked them though. Took it for a 30 mi ride last night (with fob) and all seemed well, but my turn signal personal PIN is gone. Will dig out my papers and re-program that today. Thanks for the advice and moral support! :) PS: I still really enjoy looking at and riding that big bike.
Did you by any chance do the gear position sensor recall service last year? If memory serves that involved a reflash, which erased the turn signal PIN. Your dealer would have put in a new PIN and should have given that to you. My husband and I both had to reset our PINs after that service. It’s still good to make sure your battery connections are good. Indians are notorious for battery connections loosening up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Most batteries on the bike last 2 or 3 years, check your fob battery,

·
Registered
134 Posts
The primary con of my Indian is this FOB goblin push button s*&^. This honking .... wth...embarrassing. I'll take the key. The Springfield itself is a very comfortable and well performing motorcycle... looks are fabulous. The ignition/FOB/PIN (oops PIN zeroed, again...not sure why), FOB battery, again...wow, ok.). If I ever do trade on a new one, it will get a conversion to a key or I won't buy it. Sorry for the negative rant but this pinged my most aggravating aspect of any motorcycle I've ever owned. Besides, what's the difference in carrying the flying saucer puck around or carrying a key around??? Oh.. and you only get 1 FOB... "we can fix that with a flash update"...change your battery...carry 2 or 3 on your trip just in case?? LOL THEN the PIN personalization procedure in the manual is WRONG.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Same problem with my 2018 Chieftain. Compared to my Harley the key fob is problematic. Works most times, but I had the same experience when I was out to lunch with my 3 Harley buddies. It wouldn’t start. I tried cycling power and changed gears a few times. Finally it just started. I have no idea what I did or why. Happened several times. Dealer checked it out and couldn’t find anything wrong. I changed the fob battery every month. It will start and then start honking as I go down the driveway and report fob not found. There were days I wanted to ram that fob up its tailpipe. I got nothin.

·
Founding member
2,192 Posts
Fob battery is what it sounds like. Yeah. BTDT. If you leave your FOB in a spot too close to where you park the bike this will be a regular event. Yearly battery changes for the FOB and an extra FOB are the solution. First time it happened to me on my Springfield I saw the battery indicator lit up on the panel and made it to the nearest dealer (100 miles out of my way) where they informed me that was for the FOB battery NOT the bike battery. Everyone suffers through the embarrassing glitches. It's why we all pitch in to help no matter what brand the guy having trouble is riding.
This is another "urban legend" that keeps getting passed around on the forum and by techs that do not understand how the fob/bike handshake communication works.

The location of the fob while parked has nothing to do with fob battery life. The two do not communicate with each other other than when a power button is pushed on the bike and when it is first put in gear (or if the bike is moved while the alarm is set). Many of us (and some dealers) keep the fobs stored nearby or even on the bike when they are powered down. Why would the bike/fob have any reason to communicate while powered off? Both the bike and the fob are constantly listening for a ping but the receive state of the device is extremely low level power. Transmission mode is when the fob battery current is much greater (orders of magnitude greater than receive mode) and they only do it when the bike sends a signal - again, only during powerup and shifting into first gear.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Can the computer guys take the fob out of the picture? Surely there's a table somewhere in the ECU that can be changed? I would like to be able to just push the big button, then start my bike up without all this electronic communications/fobs/PINs going on.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts