Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally nice here in Iowa. I planned ahead, had the battery tender on my 2014 Chief Vintage. Went out to start it and my turn signal pin wouldn't work. So, found the fob, went out and it started right up. Went for a 50 mi ride to my favorite pub, had an awesome cheeseburger and fries and great conversation with a couple bikers. Time to leave, lots of bikers sitting on the veranda watching the cool red Indian...hit the big black button, dash lit up, pushed starter button, nothing! Tried it 3 more times, dash would light up, all looked good, but no starter. Starting to get nervous w all the people watching me, tried the turn signal push 3 times right, 4 times left, 7 times right, 2 times left...nothing. Pulled the fob out of my pocket, held it over the tank, tried the big black stupid button several more times, dash reads good, no starter. Started moving the fob around, near headlight, by my crotch, finally the starter worked, engine fired up fine, whew. Clicked in gear and the horn honked once, thought I accidently hit the horn while backing the 1193 lb beast out. Took off, 44 harley riders watching me, the horn starts honking quicker and quicker, I kind of knew what might be coming so I accelerated hard to get out of their view, horn honking faster and faster. Got around the corner and the engine died. :( Did some more waving of the fob, finally started again, no horn this time, and I hightailed it for home. I had planned on stopping a few times on the way home but ditched that lame idea. Rode it home 50 miles w no hiccup. I suppose the bike battery voltage got too low over the winter and lost my programmed personal PIN at the turn signal button? Then my fob battery may be old which caused the hard starting and horn honking? Wow, I really like the big push button so I don't have to have one of those cumbersome stupid mechanical keys.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Scout Sixty
305 Posts
I happen to LOVE the cumbersome stupid mechanical key for my Scout. Great story, though! Glad you made it home. And GREAT title for your post, that cracked me up!! 😂😂

·
Registered
145 Posts
Great story, glad u made it out of there & back home. That would have really sucked if it had died right in front of all those Harley guys 😁

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I think it's a joke to have to carry multiple batteries around in case the fob dies. I really never use the fob, the turn signal pin has never failed me for 2 years until today. I think I would pay good money if someone could remove all the fob/theft protection crap from my ECU. I wonder if the PCVX and mapping experts can do that? Surely the computer can be adjusted so if you push the big stupid black button and the bike battery has over 12V the ignition and fuel system is activated?

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
The personal pin does not go away unless you erase it. The personal PIN doesn't go away when the battery dies.

You seem to have symptoms of loose battery connections. And nothing to do with the key FOB.

Here are facts and myths about the key fob.

Myth#1: You must keep the FOB away from the bike so it doesn't drain the battery. Pure BS to the crap degree. The FOB and bike never look for each other period unlsee a action is taken.

Fact: When you push a button on the FOB it then communicates with the VCM. If you push the start or power button the VCM looks for the FOB, when you put the bike in gear, the VCM looks for the FOB. So the Only time the VCM communicates with the FOB, is when you push the power button, start button, and lastly when he bike is put in gear, after that the bike doesn't care about the FOB anymore.

Myth#2: The bike will die when the key FOB battery dies.
False:
If this were true, you would never be able to use the PIN to operate the bike. Once the bike is put in gear, the VCM could care less about the FOB.

Myth#3: The personal PIN will be erased due to a dead battery.
False: The personal PIN is loaded into no volatile memory into the VCM, the only way a personal PIN will be erased, is by the user, or if the VCM is re-flashed.

The above Myths have been spread by idiot Indian techs, online forums and other places. 4 years ago a Indian tech made a you tube video dispelling all these falsehoods, but they tend to pop up every now and again.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I agree you should check your battery cables. I have had 2 Indians that the battery cables seem to loosen. Also check the negative ground to frame while you're at it. I eventually used a small amount of Loctite blue on the battery terminals.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Awesome story and so glad you were able to avoid major embarrassment in front of the Harley crew. (I’ve got many stories where H-D bikes gave new owners heartburn over failed components but they were too embarrassed to fess up.)

So I just bought a ‘21 RM DH a week ago and have read the manual cover to cover. I have the PIN needed to start the bike if I don’t have the fob, but I have never heard of the turn signal pin. What is that?

·
Rider
721 Posts
Awesome story and so glad you were able to avoid major embarrassment in front of the Harley crew. (I’ve got many stories where H-D bikes gave new owners heartburn over failed components but they were too embarrassed to fess up.)

So I just bought a ‘21 RM DH a week ago and have read the manual cover to cover. I have the PIN needed to start the bike if I don’t have the fob, but I have never heard of the turn signal pin. What is that?
Turn signal button is used to input the pin code on Indians other than Chieftain, Roadmaster, and Challenger.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
@Caprock just further clarification on what @vichmr stated. The turn signal button is used for all non ride command models. So a 2016 Chieftain without ride command would use this as well.
It is used on RC models pre-2018 as well. I have a 2017, and I have tonuse the TS switch.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
German Rider
1,664 Posts
It is used on RC models pre-2018 as well. I have a 2017, and I have tonuse the TS switch.

Only without the last firmware update on the RC. Than you get a Touchpanel on the startup without FOB like on your mobile, to put in the PIN.

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: Dvance800cc

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Only without the last firmware update on the RC. Than you get a Touchpanel on the startup without FOB like on your mobile, to put in the PIN.

Cu,
Sven
Are you sure? I installed the latest RC update, and I don't get the TouchPad on the screen.

·
German Rider
1,664 Posts
As far as I know, yes. But it also could be with the new Firmware due to the gear position sensor. Did both at the same time at my dealership and after I got my bike back, there was the touch panel on the screen. Maybe ask your dealer if he could hookup to digital wrench and check if ALL possible updates are installed......That is what I have been told .

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
32 Posts
I 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., etc., etc., the check the battery terminals. My '18 Springfield will act "All Kinds of Wonky" if they get loose.

·
Bronze member
1,772 Posts
As far as I know, yes. But it also could be with the new Firmware due to the gear position sensor. Did both at the same time at my dealership and after I got my bike back, there was the touch panel on the screen. Maybe ask your dealer if he could hookup to digital wrench and check if ALL possible updates are installed......That is what I have been told .

Cu,
Sven
Sven,
I have a 2017 with gear switch update and I didn't get the screen PIN option., I wish I did. I'll talk to the service manager this week. I had previously given up hope. What year is your bike? Maybe you could provide the version number of the RC software please.

·
German Rider
1,664 Posts
Mine is a 2018 model. Need to take a pic of the version, next time when I am in the garage at the bike.

Cu,
Sven

1 - 20 of 43 Posts