Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my Roadmaster in March, I missed a few shifts on the way home. By miss, I mean I would shift but not go to the next gear and I would have to shift again. I thought it was me being new to the bike and not having used a toe shifter in 20 years. Over the next few weeks it would happen on rarer occasions, less so after I put on the heel shifter. The last couple of rides, I noticed a definite pattern of 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th. Tonight was especially noticeable. After getting back to the house, I got underneath and looked at the linkage. To my surprise, the linkage rod was bent pretty well! To be honest, I hadn't looked at it closely and until I checked the manual tonight, wasn't even certain it was a straight rod. I believe it was already bent when I bought the bike and I just missed it.

Any way, I took the rod off, put it in a vice and got 90+ percent of the bend out. I test drove her and the shifting was spot on with minimal effort.

Having gotten most of my embarrassment off my face now, my questions are 1) has anyone else had a bent linkage rod and 2) is my vice fix sufficient or should I start looking for a replacement (I think a generic rod will work vs. the high priced Indian model)?

Please accept the thanks of a totally embarrassed rider in advance for your comments. . .

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I bought my Roadmaster in March, I missed a few shifts on the way home. By miss, I mean I would shift but not go to the next gear and I would have to shift again. I thought it was me being new to the bike and not having used a toe shifter in 20 years. Over the next few weeks it would happen on rarer occasions, less so after I put on the heel shifter. The last couple of rides, I noticed a definite pattern of 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th. Tonight was especially noticeable. After getting back to the house, I got underneath and looked at the linkage. To my surprise, the linkage rod was bent pretty well! To be honest, I hadn't looked at it closely and until I checked the manual tonight, wasn't even certain it was a straight rod. I believe it was already bent when I bought the bike and I just missed it.

Any way, I took the rod off, put it in a vice and got 90+ percent of the bend out. I test drove her and the shifting was spot on with minimal effort.

Having gotten most of my embarrassment off my face now, my questions are 1) has anyone else had a bent linkage rod and 2) is my vice fix sufficient or should I start looking for a replacement (I think a generic rod will work vs. the high priced Indian model)?

Please accept the thanks of a totally embarrassed rider in advance for your comments. . .
Embarrassed? What do you have to be embarrassed about? You noticed a problem with your bike, looked it over thoroughly, determined the problem, and have mostly solved it...without paying someone else to do it. You got to know your bike better than you did before. I don’t think you have anything to be embarrassed about. Actually, you should be proud that you didn’t shell out good money for someone else to do what you did.

As for your question about replacing the linkage, I don’t think I’m qualified to weigh in on that beyond an uninformed opinion. So, I’ll keep it to myself and let the real experts speak up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nice find and fix. Nothing to be embarrassed about. If you find a deal on one you can always have a spare lying around.

Phil

·
Registered
91 Posts

So, if the bike was used, it looks like you have found a good fix for now. I would probably look for a new rod, and keep the fixed one for a spare.

If you bike is new - it would be covered under warranty and any dealer should replace it for free.

Glad you have it working and are now able to enjoy riding!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts