Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Roadmaster w/BBK116
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it had to happen sooner or later, just got my new Pursuit last week and have 300+ miles on it. Getting close to that first breakin oil change and I’ve been using Amsoil in my bikes for years ( not to start an oil topic ) so I rode up to the dealer and went to make my first 180’ turn on a 2 lane, not really sure what I did but down I went. Luckily or to my misfortune a gentleman was working on his lawn and helped right it. I might add I’ve been riding for 50+ years and have never dumped a bike that I can remember including the past 1800cc + including Roadmaster, Chieftain, Victory CCT, M109 and others. I have commented on how much better handling this bike is guess I’ll have to watch those real sharp turns a little more. Might add no scratches that I can see even the van that stopped behind me didn’t even bust balls too bad after telling me about his Harley.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
1,225 Posts
I have heard it said, as have you, "There are two kind of riders, those that have wrecked, and those that are gonna wreck". Or something like that. I'm glad you ain't hurt and the bike is good.

·
Rider
1,317 Posts
That really sucks brother! Hope you and the Pursuit are okay! Ride Like a Pro has the best U-Turn how-to's I have seen, easy to understand and practice. Ride safe and practice your U-Turns! =)

Jerry does mention that the Indian does hit full lock than sooner than a Harley Electra Glide, which makes turning a tiny bit more challenging.

His course done on Indian Challenger

·
Registered
331 Posts
After multiple shoulder surgeries, the last being unsuccesful, I no longer try to go full lock on the bike, mainly because I no longer can. Just means looking at turning differently.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
18 Posts
I noticed my Challenger has a very wide turning radius so doing a u-turn in two lanes on that bike is challenging for me. Like someone else pointed out, the steering hits full lock early, probably earlier than your muscle memory from other bikes was expecting.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Sounds like you came out fine. I was a motorcycle cop and instructor and I dropped plenty of bikes during training. One thing that is a common mistake on a slow speed full lock turn is pulling in the clutch. The bike's clutch needs to be in the grey area/friction zone so there is power to the rear wheel. I practice tight turns frequently because it is a perishable skill. Another video option for tips is ProRider Motorcycle Training.

Phil

·
Registered
2022 Indian Pursuit Dark Horse Premium - On Order
36 Posts
Did the bottom of the saddlebags hit the ground, or did the crash bars keep them off? Judging by the pictures the saddlebags hang below the crash bars so I was wondering if it would clear if I laid the bike down (which I'm sure will happen eventually)

·
Registered
2014 Chief Vintage
676 Posts
You can always put carpet or a furnie pad down and gently lay your bike over to see what the crash bars will protect.

U-Turn drops happen for 2 main reasons … 1 just going too slow (I was guilty of this, dropped my bike during parking lot practice). 2 grabbing a hand full of front brake when the front wheel is turned (I did that a long time ago on a different, much lighter bike … but it still fell over)…

·
Registered
2016 Roadmaster
149 Posts
I dropped my 2016 RM today. I lost count after a half dozen times at a pro rider course. I wasn't the only one though. Really struggled on 18ft right turns but got better as the day went on. Not like a pro, but better than when I started. Full lock, the RM doesn't turn as quickly as my HD's. Had a lot of fun though. Oh, and I have 50+ years of riding also.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,198 Posts
Don't beat yourself up over it. I dropped my first bike 2 weeks in (in front of some hot chocks on the beach no less- distracted by them and forgot my kickstand). Then no drops for 20 years, until a slow uturn on the RM in front of a burger place with my wife on the back, and later on the other side when parking. Thank God for crash bars!

·
Registered
2019 Roadmaster w/BBK116
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did the bottom of the saddlebags hit the ground, or did the crash bars keep them off? Judging by the pictures the saddlebags hang below the crash bars so I was wondering if it would clear if I laid the bike down (which I'm sure will happen eventually)
Couldn’t find anything with a quick look, I felt a scratch on the very bottom of the lower left fairing. The bars apparently did a surprisingly good job, I almost had a heart attack before I checked the bike out

1 - 20 of 38 Posts