Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
Very good write up - best I’ve read. Not really sure what the writer was trying to describe regarding the depth & vibrancy of matte paint. Flat paint is...flat. I’ve never seen any matte paint that had depth or vibrancy. The writer liked the look of the HD engine better and I get that. It’s hard to make any water-cooled engine, with coolant hoses and a radiator, look sexy. They also had trouble engaging the clutch with a consistent release...which in turn activated the traction control. Wonder if this was due to not being accustomed to a non-hydraulic clutch? I’ve never had an issue with my RM clutch and it’s got a better feel than my old CVO SG and my Ducati Monster.

·
Registered
83 Posts
They also had trouble engaging the clutch with a consistent release...which in turn activated the traction control. Wonder if this was due to not being accustomed to a non-hydraulic clutch?
"At small throttle openings, response was vague and sometimes felt delayed, while the clutch lever provided zero engagement feel. It made every departure from a stop a kind of guessing game and caused an unpredictable variety of launch styles as testers tried to figure out what was happening."

This is exactly what my impression was when I first rode this bike. I have been riding metric bikes with cable clutches for 50 years, and this clutch definitely feels different than any I have used before. It may be the slipper clutch, something I've never seen before, but you don't feel it grab at the lever. The lag at throttle is also weird. I stalled the bike at first because I was expecting something to happen as soon as I moved the throttle. I only have 300 miles on this ride so far, so I'm still getting used to that lag at launch. The funny thing is when I think about what I'm doing as I take off, it feels weird. If I don't think about it at all and just ride by feel, it seems quite normal. I think it is just how far you twist before it engages that makes it seem so weird. All my previous rides had cable throttles, and they respond immediately, so it may be the electronic controls that I'm just not used to yet.

·
Registered
469 Posts
"At small throttle openings, response was vague and sometimes felt delayed, while the clutch lever provided zero engagement feel. It made every departure from a stop a kind of guessing game and caused an unpredictable variety of launch styles as testers tried to figure out what was happening."

This is exactly what my impression was when I first rode this bike. I have been riding metric bikes with cable clutches for 50 years, and this clutch definitely feels different than any I have used before. It may be the slipper clutch, something I've never seen before, but you don't feel it grab at the lever. The lag at throttle is also weird. I stalled the bike at first because I was expecting something to happen as soon as I moved the throttle. I only have 300 miles on this ride so far, so I'm still getting used to that lag at launch. The funny thing is when I think about what I'm doing as I take off, it feels weird. If I don't think about it at all and just ride by feel, it seems quite normal. I think it is just how far you twist before it engages that makes it seem so weird. All my previous rides had cable throttles, and they respond immediately, so it may be the electronic controls that I'm just not used to yet.
I had the opportunity to ride my friends and I felt the same way. The clutch can be adjusted, and that might help. The throttle lag drove me nuts. Hopefully dynojet cracks the ecm so they can fix that soon. I had a guy message me on FB saying he helped design the engine. he said the lag is a lean spot in the tune they needed to pass emissions. I'm not sure why they would have such a hard time with emissions.

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they said when the traction control is off... it changes it to the way they like it... I suppose different feelings for riders... these two guys came off of metric sport bikes.. so I think anything would have a little throttle lag to them...

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
That throttle lag they describe seems to be programmed into all IM big bore bikes. My RM and a buddy’s Chief both had it. We both installed a PVCX and a different map & the lag dissapeared. The BMW K1600B has a similar same lag. It’s as if manufactures built it in as a safety element.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,242 Posts
Throttle by wire is also quite a bit different than the old cable actuated kind but the lag is most likely a programming issue as they said.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Another stupid comparison thread. When will it end?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,242 Posts
Don't really know if this comparison crap will ever end. Seems to be an ongoing process or something like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts