Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I can do a quick search but I figured I'd get your folks opinions 1st. I have what looks to be some weird wear on my tires. It's in the same spot all the way around the tire and only on the left side of the tire. Thoughts on what causes this. Air pressure seems to be on point. Maybe a suspension deal?
Screenshot_20190508-203441.jpg

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
A few questions come to mind that may have a bearing on the case, so I'll put them out there before offering any kind of opinion. Miles? What tire pressure do you usually run and how ofter do you check it? Have you ever found it to be significantly low when checked? Brand model and size of tire? What bike is it on? Where and under what circumstances to you do most of your riding? Solo or two up? Are you sure the wear pattern is mostly the same all the way around the tire? Front or rear tire? Any other info you can give would help.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indian Chieftain Limited with 21 inch front wheel. Tire has 4k miles on it and it's a metzeler me888 marathon ultra. Most of my riding is solo with about 20% 2up and mostly all freeway riding and yes it's the same all the way around

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
I agree with @WhizzbangK.C. We need alot more info.
Looks like cupping to me. This happens when the tire is loosing contact with the surface, which would indicate the tire is bouncing ever so slightly in this case.
That can be balancing and/or suspension related. On a motorcycle, it could also be a cause of repetitive overloading on the opposite tire. That would be more likely on the front, with the rear being overloaded.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Indian Chieftain Limited with 21 inch front wheel. Tire has 4k miles on it and it's a metzeler me888 marathon ultra. Most of my riding is solo with about 20% 2up and mostly all freeway riding and yes it's the same all the way around
Thats interesting. Fill me in please, is a 21" front wheel stock on the limited? If not, is it aftermarket? What size is OEM?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats interesting. Fill me in please, is a 21" front wheel stock on the limited? If not, is it aftermarket? What size is OEM?
Stock is a 19 inch and I have an aftermarket 21 inch wheel on my bike as well as a matching rear wheel in an 18 inch instead of the stock 16 inch

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
130/60-19 is the size of the stock tire and my tire size is a 120/70-21 if that helps

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
I guess I am a lunatic, but I don't see the issue. It looks like any other tire to me. You ride under certain issues gives you certain results.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Stock is a 19 inch and I have an aftermarket 21 inch wheel on my bike as well as a matching rear wheel in an 18 inch instead of the stock 16 inch
Are you feeling any vibration at the bars? If not, I'd just carry on. Most of my commercial trucks get front tire cupping, but its always on the outer edge of the tread. This has been attributed to worn front shocks which are allowing the tires to lose contact and bounce.
Since yours is in the center, I'm wondering if the change in pitch is taking slighter pressure off the front wheel than the Engineers intended because of the inch difference in tire size front to rear.
Unless its effecting the ride, I'd not worry about it unless the cupping gets more pronounced with deeper cups.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Condition of front fork cartridge and oil is a maybe. If one side is even slightly mismatched and allows any minor bounce.
Could be related to that specific tire as well. Is it well balanced?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I suppose it is mainly due to the tire pressure on your both front and rear tires.
Send your photos to Metzeler and they will reply.
I prefer to over pressure just a little bit my Metzeler 888 ultra-Marathon.
I have a 18 inches front wheel (Arlen Ness 18 x 3,5) and the stock 16 inches rear wheel. Perfect to my rides.

20190507_171057.jpg

·
Registered
466 Posts
As you mentionned it was on the LEFT side of the tire, I suspect it is done when your bike is on the crutch and that the tire pressure is too low. The 21 inches rim made the tire surface on the road more limited. To be checked.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Looks like cupping. It’s happened to several front tires of mine after a certain amount of wear. In the US, we spend more time on the left side of our tires going around corners. Motorcycles wear out tires more on the left side in my experience.

·
Rider
362 Posts
It's cupping, caused by balance/road crown - had several Victories w/21" tires that would do that until I started using dynabeads. The
"constant balance" of the beads eliminates the cupping.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's cupping, caused by balance/road crown - had several Victories w/21" tires that would do that until I started using dynabeads. The
"constant balance" of the beads eliminates the cupping.
I was thinking of doing the same thing but I'm wondering about the TPMS sensors and if the beads would affect or harm them in any way?? I've actually been debating on deleting the TPMS just to run the beads because I always check my tire pressure anyway and never go off the reading. Always seems to be off anyway

·
Founding member
1,468 Posts
I've always heard that Metzelers grip the road better than other tires because of their softness. My experience is: they wear out so fast and often wear out in weird ways such as cupping or one side showing cords and other side still having rubber. So I've just decided to sacrifice a little safety for a longer life tire. Dunlop e4's or michelins have done well for me.

·
Rider
362 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing but I'm wondering about the TPMS sensors and if the beads would affect or harm them in any way?? I've actually been debating on deleting the TPMS just to run the beads because I always check my tire pressure anyway and never go off the reading. Always seems to be off anyway
Supposedly they will work w/tpms sensors but I like to add them myself through the valve stems and don't even want to try loading them through the 90degree valves. May throw them in on the first tire change.

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
I am running beads on mine. No issue with the TPMS sensors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts